Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

At least a few of the immediate neighbors are upset about the SP proposed for "54 stacked flats and 9 detached residential units" on Porter just North of the bend from Eastland.

Anyone care to weigh in?

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2011_2015/bl2015_1093.htm

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/pdfs/zoning/2015_calendar_year/bl2015_1093.pdf

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/pdfs/zoning/2015_calendar_year/bl2015_1093_siteplan.pdf

Looks to me like a solid project.  Parking is addressed for all homes.  It addresses scale appropriately (townhomes on Power, larger scale on Porter).  I assume it abides by codes and requirements.

It's odd.  I can almost tell when a development is thought out by a decent local architect.  I feel East Nashville neighbors are knee-jerk reacting to development because of the glut of crammed in duplexes that are meant to be turned around and sold at bloated prices.  I don't get that feeling from this.  Not sure why they should be upset.  Is something historic being torn down?

At least a few of the immediate neighbors are upset about the SP proposed for "54 stacked flats and 9 detached residential units" on Porter just North of the bend from Eastland.

Anyone care to weigh in?

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2011_2015/bl2015_1093.htm

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/pdfs/zoning/2015_calendar_year/bl2015_1093.pdf

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/pdfs/zoning/2015_calendar_year/bl2015_1093_siteplan.pdf

I attended several of the meetings. Most of the opposition was either regarding the height or the potential traffic increase, especially cut through traffic because of the entrance on Tillman.  I think it is a well-designed project, and while I was initially concerned about the density, I support it.  I wish Planning would have allowed them to make it mixed-use.

Looks to me like a solid project.  Parking is addressed for all homes.  It addresses scale appropriately (townhomes on Power, larger scale on Porter).  I assume it abides by codes and requirements.

It's odd.  I can almost tell when a development is thought out by a decent local architect.  I feel East Nashville neighbors are knee-jerk reacting to development because of the glut of crammed in duplexes that are meant to be turned around and sold at bloated prices.  I don't get that feeling from this.  Not sure why they should be upset.  Is something historic being torn down?

There is some concern that the log cabin will eventually get torn down, though the owner says that is years down the road.

This is the rendering of the Bristol project in East Nashville. If done, then there can be a new definition to the "East Nasty" phrase,

cause this thing is nasty looking.

U9aU2n6.jpg

Ron:  This building is already there.  It is constructed of brick.  This is a mid-Century church kind of in the manner like the one in Hillsboro Village that was converted to the event space, Ruby. 

The change to the exterior of the building is in adding the dormers.   The site plan calls for removing part of the present paved parking area and returning it to greenspace. 

There will be an introduction of new single-family homes on the site further up the hill.  The conversations with neighbors at the Rosebank Neighbors meeting pertained to the siting of and access for the single-family homes and the desire to buffer the parking lot area or to replace that with garage/carport sheds. 

• Like 2

The church conversion looks interesting.. that drawbridge-looking walkway is rather interesting.  The rendering looks like an improvement to the current building.  

As far as the Porter project, I just did a google map search, which proved me wrong in thinking it is farther from downtown. Although I can see that the area seems to be densifying pretty rapidly.  I never would have imagined things moving so quickly into that section (the movement along Gallatin Ave. has not surprised me). Looking at the housing around the site for the Porter Rd. project, I can imagine that most of the residents there are of longtime owner occupants, and perhaps most retired... while apparently maintained, they don't look renovated/gentrified (yet!). I think the thing about this site is that it sits between two increasingly prominent commercial/entertainment nodes that serve as anchors for that part of town.  So Porter must be in a "sweet spot" for future residential development. I hope the developers will be sensitive to the residents there... and a plan can be developed to appease everyone. And of course, this project could be quite nice IF THE MATERIALS are of high quality.    

Edited by MLBrumby

Ron:  This building is already there.  It is constructed of brick.  This is a mid-Century church kind of in the manner like the one in Hillsboro Village that was converted to the event space, Ruby. 

The change to the exterior of the building is in adding the dormers.   The site plan calls for removing part of the present paved parking area and returning it to greenspace. 

There will be an introduction of new single-family homes on the site further up the hill.  The conversations with neighbors at the Rosebank Neighbors meeting pertained to the siting of and access for the single-family homes and the desire to buffer the parking lot area or to replace that with garage/carport sheds. 

The church today.     Lots of green space around it.  

post-29449-0-44966900-1429207259_thumb.p

attachicon.gifChurch.PNG

Not a bad looking building to start.  That brick is what sets it off as substantial looking.  It's even got a cute chimney stuck on the back.  It does seem strange that people would be living up in what once will have been mid-air sanctuary.

-==-

attachicon.gifChurch.PNG

You're right, there is a lot of greenspace already surrounding the church generally at the edges of the parking area.  If I recall correctly from the March presentation, the drawbridge is going to be demolished and that parking lot facing Eastland will be removed and turned into greenspace with a landscape buffer.  The parking area for the project would mostly be the north and possibly some also remaining to the east behind the building.  The neighbors were interested in buffering those parking areas as well so that the site does not resemble a "car lot," etc, from the residential area along Dalebrook.

917 Woodland The Screen Printing company looked to have renovations ongoing, March 2015 permit says bar or nightclub?

Parcel ID 08212033600

Permit Number 201446829

Permit Type BUILDING COMMERCIAL - REHAB

Date Issued 3/13/2015 11:50:49 AM

Scope BAR OR NIGHTCLUB, TAVERN AND BARS

Purpose

Contractor KEY COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION LLC

Valuation $250,000

Status OPEN

Historic Nashville is reporting that the old dilapidated firehall in front of the Gallatin Rd Walmart neighborhood market has been sold to an unnamed coffee shop.

That's good news if this structure will remain.

https://www.facebook.com/historicnashvilleinc/posts/10153244308268288:0

Good news!  My dad, a retired fire chief, once worked at this hall.  I remember hanging out here as a little kid.  

• Like 2

Good news!  My dad, a retired fire chief, once worked at this hall.  I remember hanging out here as a little kid.  

That's always been a favorite art-deco charm of mine for its size in the region, not only for the stone portal arches, buttress blocks, and stone-coping parapet, but also because even the chimney is uniquely deco.  You're the first and only person I have heard of with direct ties to that building.

-==-

Happy to see this.     Davidson St. already has bike lanes on both sides, of course.     Although I can't say I've ever had issues with vehicle traffic when I use the Davidson St bike lanes (traffic on that street tends to be pretty light, especially on weekends), it's more the condition of the bike lanes that I have an issue with.     The Davidson St. bike lanes, like most of Nashville's bike lanes, are rarely if ever "cleaned" or swept.   A lot of Davidson St.'s traffic is industrial and the bike lanes are left to collect the rocks, glass, sticks and trash that get blown into them by the adjacent vehicle traffic.   Not good for bike tires.    I've seen many a cyclist changing flats along that stretch.        

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 3

Investor group buys strip in Riverside Village

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/04/17/corner-partnership-buys-inglewood-property/25947583/

woah, I some how missed that the past few days....are there already plans for that property?

Gonna be an Indian restaurant.  Plans are in this thread somewhere. 

Edited by grilled_cheese