Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I looked on Google Maps.  Doesn't look like it will destroy much.  Probably will be an improvement.

I'm of the view that the neighborhood is diminished by the loss of historic homes like these.   

https://goo.gl/maps/MfVBO

edit:  not sure that link worked.  

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

Just looked on street view at that location, and good god, a block south, Note 16 looks absolutely atrocious from the street.  Why aren't there ordinances against that type of thing?  It's set back from the street literally like fifteen feet, surrounded by grass, and the base looks like it was intended for a prison.  Might as well just put a strip of parking between it and the street!

• Like 4

Just looked on street view at that location, and good god, a block south, Note 16 looks absolutely atrocious from the street.  Why aren't there ordinances against that type of thing?  It's set back from the street literally like fifteen feet, surrounded by grass, and the base looks like it was intended for a prison.  Might as well just put a strip of parking between it and the street!

you forgot to mention the stryrofoam and vinyl siding.     yes, it's a horrible building to have to look at.    

• Like 1

It's odd that Note 16's "active uses" (lobby and fitness center) face Horton instead of 16th, which has the garage wall.  The huge staircase looks ridiculous.  I'm also surprised that metro's planning department allowed this awful design.  I'd be curious to know their reasoning.

Happened to be in the area when I read the post. Took some pictures....

16thampedge2_zps221fdae3.jpg

The house on the corner is not part of it.

16thampEdge1_zps91ef1d3f.jpg

It looks like they are going to grade to the sidewalk level and lose the Magnolia trees although  the plan shows 'street trees' to be planted.

DSCN1898_zpsc70dae0a.jpg

This is doomed.

DSCN1897_zps1bc29ac7.jpg

The Note 16...

DSCN1903_zpsc4b612df.jpg

• Like 1

It's odd that Note 16's "active uses" (lobby and fitness center) face Horton instead of 16th, which has the garage wall.  The huge staircase looks ridiculous.  I'm also surprised that metro's planning department allowed this awful design.  I'd be curious to know their reasoning.

Yes, there are so many things aesthetically wrong with this building, it's kind of a joke.     Stonehenge was the developer - the ones also doing Artisan a few blocks away on 18th (which one of you described as the Pontiac Aztec of apartment buildings - loved that).  
Edited by CenterHill

Yes, there are so many things aesthetically wrong with this building, it's kind of a joke.     Stonehenge was the developer - the ones also doing Artisan a few blocks away on 18th (which one of you described as the Pontiac Aztec of apartment buildings - loved that).  

Stonehenge keeps producing trash. Apparently they have the money to keep doing so.

Edited by gannman

not sure of the actual material, but basically foam panels with a stucco application.    what you're seeing on the front and Horton sides of Note 16.     

Those styrofoam forms are a decent product. They have plastic in them where rebar can be insterted and then concrete is poured (leaving the styrofoam as an insulator). If they're covered with stucco they probably don't look very good. I've only ever dealt with them with brick as an exterior material. 

Here's a site plan for an apt building at the corner of 16th Ave S and Edgehill Ave. It includes 1202, 1204, 1206, 1208, and 1212 16th Ave S.

ScreenShot2014-11-30at120149PM_zps10c926

I was wondering when you guys would find this. The gem of the old apartment building will be lost if this happens. I sent the info to WW earlier. I am sure he will get a story soon. There are several other smallish projects that are coming too. Not in this area but another. A lot of these may not happen because of lack of experience, but as for this one, I am not sure who is the money behind the project.

Part of the issue with this subpar construction on Music Row is the fact that it's already zoned office/residential...with nice, wide avenues and a proximity to Downtown...but it's taken a while for the price per acre to rise enough to keep out the inexperienced developers who are just looking to make a quick buck.  These are the guys looking for the low-hanging fruit.

• Like 2

I'm of the view that the neighborhood is diminished by the loss of historic homes like these.   

https://goo.gl/maps/MfVBO

edit:  not sure that link worked.  

Agreed.  And developers act all shocked when neighborhoods start requesting conservation overlays.  Maybe if they did a better job of policing their own.

• Like 1

I do not think this project is Stonehenge. I am pretty sure I know who the developer is and he is local with no experience. However that doesn't mean that he will not partner with another experienced developer.

Except in the case of music row property owners are specifically requesting no property overlay because of its restrictions.

Also, as was mentioned above that house won't be touched.

Which house are you referring to?

I do not think this project is Stonehenge. 

Stonehenge got in the thread in connection with Note 16.    I do hope you're right that Edgehill/16th is a different developer.    I can't say I'm fond of anything in the Stonehenge portfolio: 

Note 16

Artisan on 18th (u/c)

23Hundred Berry Hill

Opus 29 (u/c)

1812 Belcourt apartments (u/c)

Which house are you referring to?

1200 16th Ave South is safe.  For now.  That is the red brick Foursquare at the SEC of 16th/Edgehill.  But the Foursquare at 1202 and and stone-faced bungalow at 1204 16th Ave South will be gone, as will the nice 3-story apartment building at 1208 16th Ave S. 

Edited by bwithers1

From what I see in the renderings, the 1812 Belcourt building will be even uglier than Note 16.  Apparently, Stonehenge doesn't think it is worth the extra expense to excavate for underground parking.  Didn't they build some earlier projects on Parthenon Street at Avoca. I think that has to be is one of the ugliest corners of new residential projects in Midtown I have seen.  

• Like 2

From what I see in the renderings, the 1812 Belcourt building will be even uglier than Note 16.  Apparently, Stonehenge doesn't think it is worth the extra expense to excavate for underground parking.  Didn't they build some earlier projects on Parthenon Street at Avoca. I think that has to be is one of the ugliest corners of new residential projects in Midtown I have seen.  

They definitely excavated for underground parking for this building, although the first level of the building is still parking I believe. I've walked by this building many times throughout its construction and the hole they dug was pretty big.

1200 16th Ave South is safe.  For now.  That is the red brick Foursquare at the SEC of 16th/Edgehill.  But the Foursquare at 1202 and and stone-faced bungalow at 1204 16th Ave South will be gone, as will the nice 3-story apartment building at 1208 16th Ave S. 

Oh yes, I knew that when I first saw the proposal. I was hoping someone was talking about the apartment building on the site.

The red brick building I think is a law firm and used to be the home of the Church of Scientology.