Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Just now, NashvilleObserver said:

Pay homage to the building?? By what, completely changing it?

But seriously, they might as well tear it down and start from scratch. 

I agree.  The building is a dump and has been ever since I moved here in 93.  They should tear it down and start over.  And...I'm not sure what history was actually made in that building.

I might be in the minority, but I think that building is iconic for Music Row.  It may need an overhaul so that it's not an eyesore as some say it is.  I don't know, I've not visited the Music Row area in quite some time when I return home to Nashville to visit family and friends.    It seems to me that the building could have been revitalized as an office suites building that could attract small music companies, song writers, etc..   What's left on Music Row that warrants it still being called Music Row?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I agree.  The building is a dump and has been ever since I moved here in 93.  They should tear it down and start over.  And...I'm not sure what history was actually made in that building.

I've got a friend in the music biz who worked there for several years.  I'll ask him about the history.

While in B-school at Vandy, one of Johnny Cash's daughters cut my hair on the 1st floor of that building.  That's history but not exactly legacy.

• Haha 2

Keeping the building as is might not be practical. It looks to have a small footprint. Are there currently two fire stairs? Are the restrooms ADA? Those alone take up a lot of space. How energy efficient is it?

Tearing it down must have been more expensive than working with what's there.

I do agree that there is no paying homage to the old building. It will be totally new.

16 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Keeping the building as is might not be practical. It looks to have a small footprint. Are there currently two fire stairs? Are the restrooms ADA? Those alone take up a lot of space. How energy efficient is it?

Tearing it down must have been more expensive than working with what's there.

I do agree that there is no paying homage to the old building. It will be totally new.

All I remember is that it seemed like the rooms were kinda oddly shaped...and every time I went in an office, it just felt kinda "sweaty"...like the windows were more of a magnifying glass than a window.  And...the underground garage was hideous.  You could barely turn a car around in there.  Felt like an underground cork screw with a decline / incline that wasn't quite normal for a parking garage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

I like it the way it is already.  Is it going to win any beauty contests? No.  But we are taking a building that is one-of-a-kind and turning into something that there are multiples of in every big city in the country, including Nashville.  It's okay to stand out!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

“During initial conversations about the project, we were impressed with the passion and enthusiasm the owners displayed in regard to preserving the unique and important history of the building. ”

"The hotel will provide sleek and trendy guest rooms and spectacular views of Nashville from its 360-degree rooftop bar."

Are we sure we're looking at the right rendering? 

16 hours ago, CenterHill said:

“During initial conversations about the project, we were impressed with the passion and enthusiasm the owners displayed in regard to preserving the unique and important history of the building. ”

"The hotel will provide sleek and trendy guest rooms and spectacular views of Nashville from its 360-degree rooftop bar."

Are we sure we're looking at the right rendering? 

Perhaps elements of the UA tower will be included throughout the design and common areas.  The white roof panels look a bit like they were taken from an octagonal building.  There's more behind this that they haven't shown us yet.