Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

21 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I think the new merger of Crestmoor and Glen Echo into one intersection is really going to help with this. 

I would like to make a prediction that traffic in Green Hills has reached the point where no amount of intersection alignments or lane modifications/additions will make a significant difference in the time to get around. There is a massive reserve of people that avoid moving around the area only because of traffic. Any small improvement to road capacity will immediately bring a few of them back onto the roads and the traffic will stay at the same level.

Space Box West Self Storage (3 stories, 86,000 sq. ft. of storage, 4,800 sq. ft. of ground level office/retail) has begun construction at 4311 Alabama Ave. in Sylvan Park. Cost is $11 million.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21004787/notes-stockyard-restaurant-project-progresses

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 3.57.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 4.10.11 PM.png

I'm impressed by how much Reta(il) they are putting at a site that practically faces the interstate. 

Anyone know the orientation of that rendering above? I don't know the area very well, but wonder if the retail faces 44th instead of Alabama.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:03 AM, Vrtigo said:

I'm impressed by how much Reta(il) they are putting at a site that practically faces the interstate. 

Anyone know the orientation of that rendering above? I don't know the area very well, but wonder if the retail faces 44th instead of Alabama.

From the documents on the permit site, it looks like it faces Alabama https://imgur.com/67TwyOb 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, leggy77 said:

Looking at the mall renders linked above, looks like we might be getting a Doc B's at the mall. That would be a nice addition. Plus the apple store looks nice a big. Also spot a Hollisters

https://docbsfreshkitchen.com/

I also noticed a Zara in the first image I believe. First store on the right.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, MLBrumby said:

That construction seems to have been going on forever. Taubman has their work cut out for them if they want to make that mall comparable to the nicest ones in peer cities. It's really a dump right now. And only one fairly middling anchor store won't cut it. There are some glimmers of hope, but they better get their act together fast. 

And the traffic is a cluster-f. When I'm in town I will go out of the way to avoid Green Hills. I don't blame Taubman for the traffic as the antiquated roads and failure of Metro to get ahead of things are the culprit. 

Antiquated roads require money. People do not like tax increases. People prefer to complain.

Also, the mall is pretty nice imo, not that I go there very often.  And traffic in Green Hills is not bad for locals that know which roads to use :tw_tounge_wink:

• Like 2

We're not arguing that it should cost nothing. Notwithstanding voters' rejecting a $5.4 billion price tag for mass transit, the search for a solution to Nashville's traffic will continue.  I'm used to far worse traffic myself, but we can agree that Nashville's will not get better if nothing is done.

And my friends  who live near/in Green Hills would disagree with the notion that traffic is "not bad".  The Crestmoor/Glen Echo/Hillsboro realignment will no doubt help. The change in the high school entrance and traffic flow should help a little. But look at what's happening at the same time; the mall expansion and (what?) 300 new hotel rooms and more and more residents in Vertis, and increasing neighborhood density. Have the traffic signals even been synchronized?  Pedestrian access is awful.

I stand by my comment about the mall. "Pretty nice" is not a top tier shopping center; and ordinary malls are dying everywhere as retail tastes/trends change. My comment refers to obvious work that needs to be done at Green Hills, and not just the current construction mess. Traffic flow around and in the mall is just terrible. Parking may be better now (haven't been inside in about 2 years). Taubman wants to make it (a destination) on-par with SouthPark and eventually with Phipps and NorthPark. But they haven't even announced a new anchor which they've said is forthcoming for the past five years now.

That said, I await the conclusion of the 'endless' construction there before giving my final judgement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

We're not arguing that it should cost nothing. Notwithstanding voters' rejecting a $5.4 billion price tag for mass transit, the search for a solution to Nashville's traffic will continue.  I'm used to far worse traffic myself, but we can agree that Nashville's will not get better if nothing is done.

And my friends  who live near/in Green Hills would disagree with the notion that traffic is "not bad".  The Crestmoor/Glen Echo/Hillsboro realignment will no doubt help. The change in the high school entrance and traffic flow should help a little. But look at what's happening at the same time; the mall expansion and (what?) 300 new hotel rooms and more and more residents in Vertis, and increasing neighborhood density. Have the traffic signals even been synchronized?  Pedestrian access is awful.

I stand by my comment about the mall. "Pretty nice" is not a top tier shopping center; and ordinary malls are dying everywhere as retail tastes/trends change. My comment refers to obvious work that needs to be done at Green Hills, and not just the current construction mess. Traffic flow around and in the mall is just terrible. Parking may be better now (haven't been inside in about 2 years). Taubman wants to make it (a destination) on-par with SouthPark and eventually with Phipps and NorthPark. But they haven't even announced a new anchor which they've said is forthcoming for the past five years now.

That said, I await the conclusion of the 'endless' construction there before giving my final judgement.

I agree with your points. My point was that most locals tend to dart into Green Hills  where they need to and not just ride Hillsboro or all of Crestmoor.  I'm in Green Hills almost every day and traffic is not an issue at all for me. But again, I take back ways like most people I know do. I think you will continue to see expansion of the mall, because this is a high end property and many of these stores are not going to be replaced by Amazon.  The realignment will certainly help somewhat, especially with the traffic coming off 440 and into Green Hills.  The answer is clearly some sort of mass transit as the area  gets denser. But that plan is now at least 5-10 years away due to the vote. 

• Like 2

The mall is too far away from completing it's latest big project to start announcing the tenants going into it. They love to piece meal it, to garner press.

I could see whoever is going into the old Restoration Hardware space getting the first notice since that work could start soon.

I do agree that the real tenant names in the renderings lead me to believe they may be for real.

I think well positioned malls will survive. As a baby boomer, I think we will drift back to liking shopping indoors. Nashville in January and August is not a great outdoor shopping environment, and as we retire in larger numbers, we'll want someplace to go. I do think that malls will need to offer more. New restaurants can bring those who like to take a walk after dinner/lunch. The movie theaters, hotels can bring crowds too. A centralized trolley service could connect the Burton Hills area and Hill Center, in  better fashion, to the mall. Maybe even stretch to the more walkable Belmont/12 South/Lipscomb areas.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

The mall is too far away from completing it's latest big project to start announcing the tenants going into it. They love to piece meal it, to garner press.

I could see whoever is going into the old Restoration Hardware space getting the first notice since that work could start soon.

I do agree that the real tenant names in the renderings lead me to believe they may be for real.

I think well positioned malls will survive. There is no Nashville high end shopping area, other than Green Hills. It's surrounded by upscale neighborhoods. These folks like first class everything and as disappointing as the  Mall may currently be, it is the only option. 

As a baby boomer, I think we will drift back to liking shopping indoors. I do shop online, but there is a social aspect to a mall. It's more fun to walk out of a store with your new widget than opening it, alone, at the kitchen table. Nashville in January and August is not a great outdoor shopping environment, and as "we" retire in larger numbers, we'll want someplace to go. I do think that malls will need to offer more. New restaurants can bring those who like to take a walk after dinner/lunch. The movie theaters, hotels can bring crowds too. A centralized trolley service could connect the Burton Hills area and Hill Center, in  better fashion, to the mall. Maybe even stretch to the more walkable Belmont/12 South/Lipscomb areas.  I could see my neighbors loading up onto a trolley to take the family to a movie and dinner, to not mess with driving/parking. The transportation would need to be something than a traditional city bus though.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Nash_12South

The Dismas House at 2424 Charlotte Ave. (4 stories, 46 rooms, $5 million) will finally get underway in June.  A July 2019 completion is planned. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21005368/dismas-house-project-progresses

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 3.01.02 PM.png

Dismas house will be on the triangular teal lot in the center of this screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map:

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 3.04.27 PM.png

• Like 1

I know those streets like the back of my hand and know all the quick exits. I still avoid GH like the plague. And yes, if traffic improvements are made, I will be one of those outcast who makes my return. That is, until streets get packed again, then I will return to my exile.

You may see me as the problem, but I’m just telling the truth. That’s how we know road capacity isn’t a magic wand. 

Maybe we can get one of those super-cool futuristic looking plans for green hills with triple stacked 10 lane expressways that lead right into the mall. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

Also agree that the Green Hills traffic is busy it is not that bad end of the world people make it out to be.  Traffic signals are timed.  Biggest problem right now is the construction of Vertis shutting one lane of HIllsboro down periodically once that clears up it with help.  I find the traffic worse in the Cool Springs Franklin area.  I do agree walk ability is bad though, but other than east Nashville and 12 south it is bad everywhere.

The mall is still nice and nicest in the region. It will be even more so once construction is done.  Plus having the only stores of their type in TN will keep it that way..  The new Dullards building blows though.

• Like 2

Stocking 51, Phase II (1 story refurbishing of warehouse) nearly complete.  I'm disappointed that they went with sheet metal siding as opposed to brick.

Looking NE from 51st Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Centennial Blvd:

Stocking 51, Phase II, April 29, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking SE from 51st Ave. at CSX tracks crossing:

Stocking 51, Phase II, April 29, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 6:49 AM, markhollin said:

Stocking 51, Phase II (1 story refurbishing of warehouse) nearly complete.  I'm disappointed that they went with sheet metal siding as opposed to brick.

Looking NE from 51st Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Centennial Blvd:

Looking SE from 51st Ave. at CSX tracks crossing:

Are there tenants leasing this building already? 

I rode in the Tour de Nash on Saturday which involved getting to see many different areas of the city. The one thing I also noticed when it came to homes was how cheap everything looked. Are lots of the developers cutting corners with construction materials and design? To me it seems crazy at how much these places are going for, and then looking at how cheap they really look. One street was Michigan Ave where they had these huge townhomes and then directly in-front of them were hideous concrete slabs for the vehicles. I am sorry if someone on here lives in one of these, but this is just disgusting to look at. I just can't see me spending $400K + for a house with zero curb appeal (in my mind). 

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1590114,-86.8415536,3a,75y,304.01h,86.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2iLQ0zMvghfjdL7YtXMoeA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by bigeasy