Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

At this point, I'd be happy with arena football coming back at the AFL level, but NHL or NBA is perfectly fine with me too. My guess is the Florida Panthers or Nashville Predators. I know the former CEO of the Preds grew up in this area and held a forum at Harbor Park close to two years ago. The forum was about whether this area could handle a team, and what steps would need to be taken.

Team or not, I think both VB and Norfolk find their true identity by 2020. So many awesome changes happening that I only fantasized about 10 or 15 years ago.

19 hours ago, BFG said:

At this point, I'd be happy with arena football coming back at the AFL level, but NHL or NBA is perfectly fine with me too. My guess is the Florida Panthers or Nashville Predators. I know the former CEO of the Preds grew up in this area and held a forum at Harbor Park close to two years ago. The forum was about whether this area could handle a team, and what steps would need to be taken.

Team or not, I think both VB and Norfolk find their true identity by 2020. So many awesome changes happening that I only fantasized about 10 or 15 years ago.

I don't see the Predators leaving Nashville any time soon. They have a huge amount of local support and a phenomenal playing location in the form of the Bridgestone Arena. A venue which is about to host the NHL All Star game, a sign that the NHL is unlikely to be leaving any time soon. Plus, they have 98% plus attendance averages. That's really good. There's really no reason to leave.

The Panthers I could see moving. Carolina would be even more likely, as they have abysmal attendance, and a rather poor record to boot.

Interesting article from Pilot sports reporter Harry Minium...

http://www.pilotonline.com/sports/virginia-beach-s-pursuit-of-an-nhl-team-will-require/article_3496f18c-afcb-587b-823a-f7a2a8b0bd05.html

"The NHL, meanwhile, is well on its way to adding expansion teams in Las Vegas and Quebec City in 2016. It also has ailing franchises in Raleigh, N.C., suburban Miami and Phoenix that are candidates for relocation."

I didn't realize the expansion was still happening. I could see Vegas and QC getting the expansion teams, and then two of the ailing teams possibly moving to Seattle and here.

Edited by BFG

Article is definitely interesting.  I think we should just focus on getting the thing built before entertaining what if's. They said the arena could function without a team and they need to continue to focus on that core game plan.  They have not secured financing yet and I fear too many changes may spook the investors. 

I dont know how accurate this is, but it is an interesting article.

The NHL has a great interest in the city of Virginia Beach + video

Jozef Struhár (Hymy) | 12/12/2015
Not only Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle is interested in the National Hockey League. Your team would like to have it more recently, the developer of Virginia Beach, the Virginia's most populous city with about 440,000 residents. 

The City Council approved the Virginia Beach earlier this week construction of a multifunctional arena with a capacity of 18,000 spectators. And just in it would like to investor to gain professional teams, which would it played its home games. With the construction of the hall should start at the earliest next year and it is expected that the developer will seek to attract to the city of NHL or NBA, at best, both leagues. Hockey League will, however, try to attract the primary. "NHL is currently considering the adoption of two teams that can go through the expansion process.Now that we have permission to build, we will aggressively seek the NHL. We have already talked with the league. We are confident that this market is appropriate for the NHL, "said Chief Executive Officer Andrea USM Kilmer. 

Storyline
Comments o

http://www.slovaknhl.sk/26205-o-nhl-ma-velky-zaujem-aj-mesto-virginia-beach-video.html

another article.  

19. Last week, Virginia Beach City Council approved a deal with United States Management to build a $210M arena that would seat 18,000.

“We feel confident that this market is right for an NHL team,” Andrea Kilmer, USM’s President and CEO, told The Virginia-Pilot newspaper. “We have had discussions with NHL officials themselves about this possibility, about what we are doing. Now that we have our approval, we can certainly pursue that more aggressively.”

The article brings up the possibility of relocation as much as expansion, but you know how the league feels about that. According to a couple of sources, the city did request an expansion application, but did not want to spend the $2M fee to apply. Without approval for a new arena, that could have been wasted money.

Virginia Beach would rank behind Las Vegas, Quebec City and Seattle — if it ever gets its arena act together.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-why-the-jets-face-painful-personnel-choices/