Uptown Village

GRDadof3

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week, I had the opportunity to tour the Uptown Village development. Special thanks to David Allen (lighthousedave) for showing me around and answering a few questions.

And of course, I made vlog so that you all could see the progress too!

You can view it by clicking here.

Feel free to make requests for future vlogs here or in the comments of the video posts...

Great job Andy. Very impressive. I'd love to see you do one on the DA Blodgett building.

This week, I had the opportunity to tour the Uptown Village development. Special thanks to David Allen (lighthousedave) for showing me around and answering a few questions.

Feel free to make requests for future vlogs here or in the comments of the video posts...

It's not quite consistently warm enough to pour "flat concrete". Usually by May on residential projects like basement floors, so I would guess the retail space here will be a similar timeframe of when the floor gets poured.

Actually this is about as good as it gets for early springtime concrete pouring. I'd pour on days like this week.

However, the weather isn't an issue at all. Developers have a lot of words for different levels of finish work but, they are developing the retail spaces to what is usually referred to as a "brown box". They will leave the concrete floors out so that whoever the tenant is can put their underground plumbing in without having to chop up the floor. (Not to mention it's smarter for the developer to have the tenant incur the cost of pouring the floor in the tenant fit out......... :whistling: )

twoshort pretty much nailed it but FWIW,

The kitchens in both the townhomes and the wealthy units were spec'd for ceramic tile. Prices for bamboo are looking so good these days and the sustainability of the material made them think about changing to bamboo. The townhomes are further along and already have the tile. So, it's not like they have cheap vinyl or something ;)

Don't knock vinyl. :blush:

And also, is Bamboo really soft? My wife had some sort of light colored wood floor, which I thought was bamboo, in the kitchen of the last house she lived in before we got married. It only took about 30 days of living there (they were the first post-renovation tenants) for it to look like trash from the girls high heels. There were little dents everywhere from the heels. Can anyone verify that this is a concern with Bamboo?

And also, is Bamboo really soft? My wife had some sort of light colored wood floor, which I thought was bamboo, in the kitchen of the last house she lived in before we got married. It only took about 30 days of living there (they were the first post-renovation tenants) for it to look like trash from the girls high heels. There were little dents everywhere from the heels. Can anyone verify that this is a concern with Bamboo?

Well, I started this videoblogging project for fun because I'm passionate about our city, and now rapidgrowthmedia.com has picked up my piece on Uptown Village. How cool is that! They made it a feature this week and there will be more to come...

Vinyl: good advice, it might crack.

Bamboo: Pretty durable, that kitchen floor sounds more like Pergo type laminates - basically a photograph of wood on a thin substrate. Having seen old bamboo in great shape, I would tend to blame stiletto heels (diamond tips)??

Hope it lasts. Serious concerns have been raised about all the 'airfoil' roofs (somebody more clever than me, post a picture, please). First big wind from the west and the whole third floor is heading to Reed's Lake. Hmm, maybe they could stick a steam engine on it and give round-the-lake cruises. (IMHO).

I like it too. It instantly re-established the "neighborhood" feel that this block needed. Of course, Bazzani's buildings on the other side are just as important, but it definitely feels like "Instant city block". Just add water!

Now, moving on to the market... Please tell me something is going to be done to that building.

Joe

I like it too. It instantly re-established the "neighborhood" feel that this block needed. Of course, Bazzani's buildings on the other side are just as important, but it definitely feels like "Instant city block". Just add water!

Now, moving on to the market... Please tell me something is going to be done to that building.

Joe

Archived