Uptown Village

GRDadof3

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;

Nope Sorry about that. I can tell you what they aren't though...they are not:

-a "used anything" shop

-a restaurant...although Hungry Howies has considered coming in but I am almost positive that won't happen

-housewares shop

-a church or any other non-profit

That is about all I can say for now.

Hey Dad...

The rendering you have on your post is actually our first design. The front of the building will look similar, but the side along Diamond is significantly different. The 3r story is pretty high up there. I got up to the second story the other day and checked out the layout along with the view from the corner apartments. The view from the windows in the corner units is really incredible. Next time I hike up the ladder I will have my camera with me and snap a couple shots. The view goes all the way up Diamond and down Wealthy.

Just curious. Why no bank with residential above? Afraid the Apple Dumplin' Gang will move in above the bank and drill through the floor to the vault? ;)

Joe

Not sure about whether TBD rules out office uses versus retail uses. On our project, however, we have been granted a PUD designation from the planning commission. A PUD leaves the door wide open as far as uses and does not hinder any use based on antiquated parking requirements. There is no zoning variance required. A bank is completely out of the picture due to the residential above.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I cruised by the townhouses last Saturday and found them to be a little out of place. Didn't really fit in with the character of the neighborhood. I thought the brick, the doors and the vinyl siding all look out of place for an old urban neighborhood. It's nicer than what was there though and I am definitely not trying to downplay the projects impact on the neighborhood.

What kind of brickwork/siding will be on the buildings facing wealthy?

Joe

Nice detail on the town homes, but not so fond of the doors.

I have to say, I cruised by the townhouses last Saturday and found them to be a little out of place. Didn't really fit in with the character of the neighborhood. I thought the brick, the doors and the vinyl siding all look out of place for an old urban neighborhood. It's nicer than what was there though and I am definitely not trying to downplay the projects impact on the neighborhood.

What kind of brickwork/siding will be on the buildings facing wealthy?

Joe

In defense of the townhomes, row-housing doesn't fit any GR neighborhood because we've never had it.

I drove by them and while they're clearly not the $400k brownstones you see in Chicago, I really thought they looked pretty nice. The whole project leaves a happy taste in my mouth...much needed for that spot on Wealthy.

On a side note, but due in part to this project, I drove someone down wealthy who hasn't been down the street in about 3 years. They were literally jaw-to-the-floor at how much has changed (read: Improved) along that corridor since they were last in GR.

In defense of the townhomes, row-housing doesn't fit any GR neighborhood because we've never had it.

I drove by them and while they're clearly not the $400k brownstones you see in Chicago, I really thought they looked pretty nice. The whole project leaves a happy taste in my mouth...much needed for that spot on Wealthy.

On a side note, but due in part to this project, I drove someone down wealthy who hasn't been down the street in about 3 years. They were literally jaw-to-the-floor at how much has changed (read: Improved) along that corridor since they were last in GR.

That's exciting to hear Dave. :thumbsup: Like I said, no disrespect to the project as a whole as this is going to be a great anchor for Wealthy.

Joe

In regard to the 3 story it is in a designated historic district and has had to pass approval from the Historic Preservation Committee. It will be brick, limestone, copper trim around the top of the building. There will be no vinyl, and no aluminum.

Archived