Uptown Village

GRDadof3

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while old construction is GREAT; there has to be some kind of new construction... i.e. while somewhat suburban looking the TH look good, pretty classic/safe. I think someday down the road maybe 80 years from now people will love that type of architecture as well. (and to people saying vinyl siding is cheap; all building materials for home construction are cheap- wood splinters, concrete cracks, bricks crumble....) I dont know what my point was with this post, but i think it was to say, "i like the townhouses for new type construction" :blush:

Not sure about whether TBD rules out office uses versus retail uses. On our project, however, we have been granted a PUD designation from the planning commission. A PUD leaves the door wide open as far as uses and does not hinder any use based on antiquated parking requirements. There is no zoning variance required. A bank is completely out of the picture due to the residential above.

Hmm...., I seem to recall the project getting a Planned Redevelopment Dsitrict (PRD), not a PUD, stamp from the Planning Commission that has quite a few stipulations including that the ground level space be retail, not office, in congruence with the TBD zoning requirements. Condition 3 of the PRD states that "The first floor of the Wealthy Street frontage shall remain commercial in use." I beleive that commercial has a specific definition, meaning not office, I would certainly look into this before signing any leases. As a neighborhood it was our assumption that it would be retail not office, we would not have been supportive of an office use.

Hmm...., I seem to recall the project getting a Planned Redevelopment Dsitrict (PRD), not a PUD, stamp from the Planning Commission that has quite a few stipulations including that the ground level space be retail, not office, in congruence with the TBD zoning requirements. Condition 3 of the PRD states that "The first floor of the Wealthy Street frontage shall remain commercial in use." I beleive that commercial has a specific definition, meaning not office, I would certainly look into this before signing any leases. As a neighborhood it was our assumption that it would be retail not office, we would not have been supportive of an office use.

Just a quick question, does that mean Bazzani has to move out, or WMEAC has to move out of Center of the Universe? Last time I checked, they weren't peddling anything (except designs and ideas). Just curious.

I find it hard to believe the neighborhood would be against an accounting firm moving into one of the spots.

If they choose to lease to an office use then they can certainly ask for a variance, which would be something that would most likely find little support. It would be better for all concerned to work to find the right fit to ensure success all around.

just keeping a watchful eye, what can I say, its a job

I don't mean to quibble, and it's certainly not my neighborhood so I'll try and be fair, but I'm just curious where in article 26 it specifies that it must be retail on the ground floor?

And what about WMEAC and Sears Architects on Cherry? Did they seek a variance?

Just trying to get a handle on what the neighborhoods want to see/don't want to see in their neighborhoods, as I'm sure a lot of developers would like to understand the PRD designation (I'm not a developer BTW).

Thanks Mark.

All PRD's are project specific and unique. For example, Uptown Village and my townhouse project would not have been allowed under the existing zoning. Because PRD's are site and project specific, we couldn't do Dave's project on our site and Dave couldn't do his project on ours. They're both PRD's but specific to the site and the submitted drawings.

Furthermore, the Planning Commission can craft the specific PRD language any way it wants, taking into account neighborhood, government, and developer concerns. I'm sure that there were many discussions between the neighborhood and Lighthouse to get to a final agreement - which may or may not align with any printed zoning materials.

WMEAC and Sears are there by right in a commercial zoned district. Completely different deal.

Does that help?

I don't mean to quibble, and it's certainly not my neighborhood so I'll try and be fair, but I'm just curious where in article 26 it specifies that it must be retail on the ground floor?

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?binobjid=3144

I see this statement in 5.300, section 3:

Active uses such as retail, restaurants, cultural and public spaces are encouraged on the ground floor.

Then there's this:

Sec. 5.302. Use Regulations.

(1) Permitted uses are as follows:

(a) Permitted Uses in the C-3 City Center Mixed Use District, Section 5.165, as follows:

(i) Public service uses.

(ii) Educational uses.

(iii) Office uses.

(iv) Institutional uses, except medical centers and research institution.

(v) Retail uses.

(vi) Other commercial & service uses.

(vii) Residential uses.

(b) Art gallery.

(2) Permitted with approval uses meeting the requirements of Article 4B, are as follows:

(a) Off street parking, surface or structured.

(b) Auditorium, concert hall, and theater.

Drove by the project on Saturday. It's looking enormouse on that street corner but definitely within the scale of the neighborhood. Can't wait to see the materials on the outside!

Two Stan's door was open. I wanted to bust in and see what was up but I was in a bit of a hurry.

Looking great guys. Can't wait to hear about some of the retail tenants.

Archived