Uptown Village

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I eat there almost every week and I've heard several time "we'll be moving in this weekend." Seems kind of odd, but I'm anxious for them to move into nicer digs.

No friggin idea...everything is all set. they have all the approvals from the building inspector and Health Department. No reason for them not to be operating there yet.

• 1 month later...

After looking at what felt like hundreds of different places, my wife and I signed our lease for an apartment in the Uptown Village building last night!

My intention is not to give you my life story or anything (although likely I will), however I'd just like to touch on why Uptown Village seems like it will be the perfect place for us, for now.

I'm 23, and my wife is 24. We married young, we were both 19. She graduated from Grand Valley this past winter and currently is a stay at home Mom. We have a daughter (who is almost 2) and another on the way. My wife is very school/career motivated, but our greatest concern is the well being of our children, so being able to have her stay home with our daughter (and soon to be additional child) is definitely worth that lack of income that we could be bringing in together - as of right now.

Myself, well... I started my path to higher education, but have yet to finish. Ultimately, I want to get back into it to further develop my skills for a field I'm already knowledageable and passionate about. I sort of fell into a "work routine" and slowly phased myself out of classes. At that time it was just the two of us and the money was nice (compared to us both working part-time). However, now I've worked at the same small business for the past four years (about 45 minutes from Grand Rapids) in a position that provides some freedom, but the pay is definitely lacking. I kind of like the job, but have sort of fell into the routine of it, and that job was barely enough for us to get by until an awesome opportunity fell into my lap.

I was doing some freelance web/graphic design when a friend from high school gave me a call and told me about his business and that he came across my site, and my work, and really wanted me to join him in his endeavor. His company was/is actually a company, and he was/is more established than myself. We had done work together in the past (computer/IT) stuff in school so we were both familiar with eachother. To make a long story short (or to try) I've been working with him now since April of this year, part-time, and phasing myself more into that position. In another six months the goal is to make it a full-time position.

The pay with him isn't a ton better, but the ability to work from home is awesome, and to do what I love and have even more control of my future (partnership is a possibility) is such a satisfying feeling. He has offered me more in these first few months than my employers of four years have. He is genuine and I believe the company has, and will, continue to prosper.

Anyway, to get back on track. Uptown Village will be a great place to live AND to get on our feet per se. To have a place big enough for our family, and a place that's really nice too, is a rewarding feeling - yet we'll still be able to try and tuck some money away because of the very fair rent cost. We have no debt, aside from my wife's student loans, so our future seems bright. We would like to buy a house, but just aren't ready for the commitment, nor could we afford one (that we felt comfortable living in) yet.

So, Uptown Village is the perfect fit for us, and I think we are the perfect tenants for them. I think we are one of the types of demographic that this program was intended for. We're struggling right now, but we're trying... and we'll be there in another couple years... thanks to programs like this.

Now, lets just hope they put in a Jimmy John's or Bagel Beanery downstairs! :)

• 1 month later...

Well I don't want to resurrect an old thread just because I took new pictures, but I do have some news for anyone who hasn't been by this building lately. Well it's probably old news but when I was over there yesterday evening Wing Heaven was open for business.

2689015073_dc2a7fa617_b.jpg

2689826786_92d0f94992_b.jpg

So when did the house next door get torn down? It looks like a good spot for Uptown Village II

Okay, I guess I'm crazy. There is an empty lot just to the right of the second picture. I remember that billboard that was right on the property line there and I guess I assumed there had been another house just on the other side of that billboard. Looking back I guess I was wrong.

Lighthouse is and has been in negotiations for awhile with a tenant to take the rest of their space. I was told last week by Lighthouse's new President, Darel Ross that they are getting close. The clothing store next to Wing Heaven also opened. She needs a little help with signage though. I will ask LC to send NV over there to see if they can help.

Lighthouse is and has been in negotiations for awhile with a tenant to take the rest of their space. I was told last week by Lighthouse's new President, Darel Ross that they are getting close. The clothing store next to Wing Heaven also opened. She needs a little help with signage though. I will ask LC to send NV over there to see if they can help.

DITTO . . . . only make sure that they're designed to house stations for future BRT, streetrail and lightrail extensions AND make sure that they each have a WING HEAVEN like this one does. Besides being GR-based, their wings make you say, "why do I go to BW3's anymore?"

Yes it's a sneaker store. Yes they could use signage. Yes the security gate is probably a good idea though it seems like it sometimes doesn't get pulled back all the way during business hours. And yes I like fish and Kool-aid.

Nothing says ghetto like security gates or grates.

Wealthy Bakery doesn't have security gates.

Phil's Stuff doesn't have security gates.

Wealthy at Charles doesn't have security gates.

Literary Life Bookstore doesn't have security gates.

From the Heart Yoga (opening soon on Wealthy) doesn't have security gates.

The Sparrows doesn't have security gates.

Brick Oven Pizza (soon to open) doesn't have security gates.

Armenta Studio doesn't have security gates.

Atomic Object doesn't have security gates.

Coat of Many Colors doesn't have secvurity gates.

The institute for Global Education doesn't have security gates.

The Wealthy Theater doesn't have security gates.

Need I continue?

Archived