Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice!! btw, good pix of the lightening vdogg! i cant wait to see the TC complete! every new thing impresses me.

so after that 21 story tower next to the westin and that 4 of 5 story brick one on the other side, will that be it as far as buildings go? what will go up out side of, but near the TC as far as redevelopment goes? when i was there, i saw lost of warehouse areas and open parkinglots that are sure to get a makeover. right??

very nice!! btw, good pix of the lightening vdogg! i cant wait to see the TC complete! every new thing impresses me.

so after that 21 story tower next to the westin and that 4 of 5 story brick one on the other side, will that be it as far as buildings go? what will go up out side of, but near the TC as far as redevelopment goes? when i was there, i saw lost of warehouse areas and open parkinglots that are sure to get a makeover. right??

A sketch of another office tower has already been released which would be on the parking lot behind the Cosmo next to One Columbus Center.

After what you mentioned and that though, the only spots left would be Taco Bell (nothing will happen there for a long time) and the lot next to Ruth's Chris. I've heard so much about that lot I don't know what to believe!

The comments on this article baffle me. It goes beyond the typical NIMBY stuff and borders on sheer ignorance. For example:

So we spend tax dollars to put a walk way in form a hotel to a sporting goods store? WHY? I'll tell you why, becuase its election time, and council needs developer contributions. And why was that walkway only 1.7 million, but the other one is gonna cost 8 million? VB Council needs to go!!! Re-Elect No One!

- Alan Alto - Virginia Beach

Refuting is too easy, and people make me sick. Especially ignorant people who take no time or energy to educate themselves or open their eyes to the obvious. Phooey.

I just looked at the Westin webcam...the top of the spire is lighted.

Yeah I had noticed that too... I am not quite sure what I think about it yet... I guess I will have to wait until I see a picture (hint hint to all you locals) or come home to see it myself!

The more I look at that roof, the less I seem to like it. I'm definately a big fan of the building itself, and of what VB has done with town center in general, but it almost seems like they built this multi million dollar high rise with all these amazing amenities for it's occupants, and just ran out of money, so they slapped up some gray exterior panels and called it good.

Anyone else agree, or truly disagree?

Yes, I do agree. The crown is a little too simple. They stuck with the teepee concept, and reduced the girth a bit from their first version of it, and that was an improvement. I love the overall massing and the colors of the building though. They might have picked up that beveled glass motif of the top two occupied and used that somehow in the crown, but expense would have been a factor, and the shaft of the building is really fairly simple, so too much fuss at the top might not have been effective. Some people liked the original design for the roof (vertical fins like a radiator), but I wasn't too sold on it, even though it made the building design more consistent.

Well once again I will wait until it is finished to give my 2 cents... The original rendering calls for much more light design work still (the sides of the building need to be lit still, so who knows, something might also be done with the roof yet) so yes, the design overall is a bit modern but a bit conservative... We won't see any visually challenging designs for a while yet I don't think...

Did anyone hear of a car crashing into the Westin today? My good friend who works in the AH building said he heard of it today while at work. He said they were talking about it around the "watering hole" with some A/H employees.

How can you run into the biggest building in the state?

I remember back when I was in high school & working my very respectable job as a cook at KFC, an elderly woman drove through the exterior wall into the bathroom. What made it all the more amusing was that when she got out of the car, she then opened the bathroom door and came into the store, almost like somethin outa the movies.

How can one run into the biggest building in the state? I was pretty confused how anyone could be that foolish, but now I get it...a good portion of people, are just idiots :)

Biggest building in the state? That's probably the Pentagon. Still, running into the Westin is rather an accomplishment. I hope there was not too much damage. I suppose the driver is OK?

Okay so did this really even happen? I mean, I heard about it all on this forum but no one knew any details or anything, then I never say an article or anything on the news websites.

Ya know, I couldn't find any new story on it. Nor, did I see anything at the site, at least on the Indy side. So, I don't know. Like I said, this is something that my friend said he heard at work in the A/H tower. He didn't see it personally, which is why I asked you guys.

It seems like we can disregard.

Archived