Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great photo. It blocks out the only part of the building that I dislike, great timing.

yeah. good photo. how big will the HQ building be? like 20 stories? also, all these TC's being built all over NOVA and southern MD and the one in Va beach, I still havnt heard about any in other states. 2 in NJ, but they are nothing to speak of. is it a Virginia thing?

(copy paste from "NOVA" thread)

I also drove down to rosslyn yesterday (yeah I have a life and a job).... to check out the sight lines of the rosslyn central place towers. I went into tom sarris' orleans house, the 50 year old restaurnat that is being forced to move out, and asked the owner when they are closing. she said they are closing in december and she said they have to give the county the key by march, when the block will undergo demolition.

I was worried about the height of the roof line on central place being 387.6 feet when the neighboring rosslyn twin towers are 381 ft, so i talked to the developer and he said they go by median sight elevation. so even though the intersection of north lynn st. and wilson blvd, where the two sets of towers will be opposite of eachother, is flat, the old twin tower's eastern edge, near the river is significantly lower. this ensures that even though the old twin towers are only 6.5 feet shorter in building height, the new towers will still dwarf them on the skyline. :lol:

while in rosslyn, I drove by turnberry tower to check on its progress. they are almost finished with the first underground parking storie. no dirt left really. and btw, applying the median sight elevation tool, it looks asthough turnberry could rival the old rosslyn twin towers for head room on the skyline too.

(this on top of all the TC hype. all the state's urban areas are looking to become more urban/pedestrian friendly.)

Driving by last night they had the entire top of the Westin lit up and it looked excellent. :)
Went out last night on shore drive, and the Westin definately looked awesome at night from the top of the lesner bridge. I gotta say, from there, you truly can the true height of it as the AH building barely breaks above the trees, and the Westin soars...

Driving by last night they had the entire top of the Westin lit up and it looked excellent. :)

It does look nice. I tried to take a pic but alas it wasn't enough light. Also, the other night there were a few upfacing lights on the south side of the building. Hoping they install some lighting maybe somewhat like the AH although not quite as bright will be ok with me.

I just looked at the live feed of the Westin on Armada Hoffler's website. Holy crap! The pyramid is lit up like the friken Griswold's house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vaction!

I wish I could see it in really life tonight.

http://216.54.2.252/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi...y=1191648243421

You wouldn't believe how tall it makes the building look with that pyramid lit up either. :)

Does anyone on here know the official height of the Westin? If you do a search for the tallest building in each state the Westin's height is different each time. I am getting between 508 ft. to 525 ft. I am a little confused on this.
Everything I can find says it's 508ft. Even articles from the pilot say "just over 500 feet", so I'd assume the 508 number is the more credible.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit to being a little disappointed with the balconies. Instead of the nice tinted blue railing depicted in the rendering it looks like they're just installing regular, white, bar railing. Must've run out of money. <_<

and that my friend is the magic of a rendering. You can do whatever you want in a rendering to sell a product. It is one of architecture's strongest lying tool. Hell it is a skill I want to become better at even because the guys that do render work make alot of money stretching the truth on what the actual building will look like.

Archived