Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit to being a little disappointed with the balconies. Instead of the nice tinted blue railing depicted in the rendering it looks like they're just installing regular, white, bar railing. Must've run out of money. <_<

If I had a unit, I'd trick it out with LED wash lights on my balcony, and perhaps side illuminating fiber handrail covers... it'd be so hot, the HOA would sue.

Of course, you could always go the UV route and paint it at different wavelengths, and chase a set of wildfire lights.... That would be so luscious. It would be like a sour candy to the eyes....

Are you sure the white railings that we're seeing aren't just the framing from the blue glass that we see in the rendering? All the glass through the tower has white framing. It looks to me that they are doing it in a logical order.

Put up all the railing, then install all the glass.

That's my perception on it though.

I don't know. If you look at it in person, it looks very much like balcony railing, and nothing like the framing used for the other windows.

Balcony glass will look nothing like the glass curtain walls framing the building. They are totally different in all ways. The railings have to be structurally sound without the glass panels. If there will be glass. More than likely there will be railing put in place and then glass filling in the railing openings. By code it would have to be that way.

Balcony glass will look nothing like the glass curtain walls framing the building. They are totally different in all ways. The railings have to be structurally sound without the glass panels. If there will be glass. More than likely there will be railing put in place and then glass filling in the railing openings. By code it would have to be that way.

I think you're right.

I'm not a fan of flat-topped buildings, but The Westin would look classier without the spire. Or, at least, this particular spire. Perhaps a set back and a few additional floors topped with the existing 2-level glass detail would lend it a more esthetic prominence, IMO.

Put your hand over the spire in the top photo to get a perspective of what I'm talking about.

But, however you slice it, The Westin is a handsome building and a beautiful addition to VBTC and the area.

Hey guys, since the SSP thread is basically dead I thought I would jump to the dark side and join ya here. :D If it ever stops raining I will get out and do a photo safari over there....

Aaron

Lol, took you long enough. Welcome to the forum. :)

Considering this is a Westin, the room rates aren't all that bad. I checked them out just in case I might want to stay a night :whistling:. I paid about the same staying at a Holiday inn express in Richmond actually, and that was with the Dominion discount :lol:. They're booking now and jan 1, 2008 is their opening date, which is a little later than originally announced.

Alex Stiles noted in addition to the Beacon Exchange the Phase III Development Agreement will be modified with the first change being implementation of the Beacon Exchange. The Beacon Exchange is between the Authority and LandMark. The Development Agreement is between the Authority and Armada/Hoffler. Responsibilities need to be incorporated and defined within the Development Agreement. Mr. Stiles reported the Phase III Development Agreement, signed in 2005, has incurred some additional costs. The cost of the kitchen in the conference center being shared by the Westin Hotel has increased and the Authority will be cost sharing an additional $500,000. Additionally, if Armada/Hoffler

Like at The Sandler Center, they're probably holding off on window-washing 'til the building is actually open for business. :)

I really like the night-time shot of the tower flush to the street. Very urban!

I'll bet all the VBTC restaurants were more than usually packed last night feeding the Sandler Center sold-out crowd.

So today I had a few extra minutes and so I decided to take a few pics while at the Westin.....

nothing new about that I guess....

I take em off and on...

however....

this time was different.....

as I took pics from inside the building......

up to 37 storys. we also stopped back at 24 storeys also... enjoy. :yahoo:

First the 'boring' stuff. gonna make you wait for the good stuff.. heh. Enlarging photos will give you more details.

This staircase inside the hotel part was modeled after the Apple HQ. Kinda cool huh.

IMG_0513.jpg

I was told everything in the Westin has textures. The lights, the lampshades. etc. There is even a Westin smell. Gotta experience this hotel.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Ok. I made ya wait long enough. Put on your hard hats and glasses and let's go. Up into the freight elevator we are whizzzzzzzzzzzzzed up.

The entrances to the units are too cool with columns and trayed ceilings.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Each unit features marble bathroom floors and of course far high end everything.

IMG_0501-1.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Views, views and more views.

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0499-1.jpg

Just some quick shots of the skyline and beyond..

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Downtown Norfolk from 37 storys.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

The Lesner Bridge

IMG_0496.jpg

I hope to get to go up again soon. There was an awesome sunset I wish I had taken and also wished I had zoomed in on the Oceanfront. One interesting tidbit of info - due to security (unless changed or requested by the homeowners) even homeowners will only have keys for their floor only to ensure security. And someone will man a desk monitoring folks coming and going. I guess you have to with such a large tower.

Hopefully more pics later.

Hey guys. I just posted a small photo thread on SSP from around the Town Center.

Aaron

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140643

Check out these photos. Thanks, Aaron. I think the building looks incredible. Now tell me, everybody, you think this building is less than what you hoped for. This is far better than what I thought a few months back.

Archived