Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

5 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Call me crazy but it looks like a new connector road is being built to connect Old Dowd to Tuckaseegee Rd north of the airport. I posted a pic below. The red line is what I think will be a new road. It also looks like land clearing is happening nearby. Does anyone have more info on this?

89BB445A-8B00-4D54-9157-D63714EC6A41.jpeg

E3D67F13-E817-4226-8C8F-E15F38D500E2.jpeg

With a straight shot from Amazon I wonder if Amazon is going to build a airport facility between the runways.

Would make sense since their gates on the south cargo ramp might be lost with the South taxiway.

• Like 4

Call me crazy but it looks like a new connector road is being built to connect Old Dowd to Tuckaseegee Rd north of the airport. I posted a pic below. The red line is what I think will be a new road. It also looks like land clearing is happening nearby. Does anyone have more info on this?

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2023_03/89BB445A-8B00-4D54-9157-D63714EC6A41.thumb.jpeg.f7659b060465306f9a78eeb12f19e1b9.jpeg
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2023_03/E3D67F13-E817-4226-8C8F-E15F38D500E2.thumb.jpeg.bb5171753809d8c902d9c9e4c39176b8.jpeg

You’re not crazy. I looked at this project in way more detail than I would like for a course I took. They’re building a road there if I remember correctly.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2023 at 11:40 AM, Miesian Corners said:

The new MCI airport is incredible. Meanwhile at CLT, still no moving sidewalks and two-year old terrazzo that looks like it was installed in 1942.

mci4.jpg

mci3.jpg

mci2.jpg

mci.jpg

I was in Kansas City for work last week and got to see the new terminal in person.  Nothing mind blowing architecturally, but very wide concourses and lots of local flavor (including at least 3 sit down BBQ options and several neat history exhibits in the connector between the terminals.  They also had 2 "sensory rooms" for neurodivergent people who may be be overwhelmed in an airport.

They also chose to go with glass jet bridges at every gate which gives jet bridges a much less claustrophobic feel.

If I had to knock the new terminal.  The signage in the baggage claim for rental cars and other services was not very clear and hard to find.  Despite having several pieces of artwork, the terminal felt fairly sterile.  This seems to be common with modern terminals.  

Also, fwiw, even at week old you could see scuff marks on the flooring.  So it's not just CLT.

image.thumb.jpeg.b401912d6c68fc459971281b564706b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2efe59949638a403b1cf286a249c8a3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f895e93bea0a7f181ab123d2250645f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.34d1f0238731984af3bcd80189bcf1e0.jpeg
cleardot.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.d80518b59d374d71038c4af571d128c9.jpeg
cleardot.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.740dd1e57b4c21c752a93a10d52fef51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5f7b0a3801ddeef5adbf6a2ce2eba4b.jpeg

cleardot.gif
image.thumb.jpeg.6b54434f5f19686c9b218d59d7b1f0aa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.347ef8e7b03341c602b1f5744c999e7b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b39f3cc52b31f831b1bb572478dfc8a.jpeg

cleardot.gifimage.thumb.jpeg.f4db0fa06381ee200409239c43688c7a.jpeg

cleardot.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.6a8e7810117d644858af86f4c2cad63e.jpeg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The new lounge is absolutely major news. I'm looking forward to more information about the project, specifically how the lounge will be built on an upper level. 

FWIW, this is AA's most recent lounge design:

image.thumb.png.706c1c2e17403517b0556c69a2d14379.png

image.thumb.png.9b5c6497222e49d8734d7ae83eb5b822.png

image.thumb.png.19c8e82982e125c1fc360a26838ab540.png

American-Airlines-Admirals-Club-DCA-Zach

I'm not sure what AA internally calls this design (I'll call it California Boho Chic) but it mimics the renderings of the new A321XLR/787 cabins with an emphasis on more natural tones. I'm glad AA is moving away from the sterile gray look introduced post-merger. In any case, the lounge will be a definite 100% improvement over the 1990s US Airways, Wolf of Wall Street-themed lounge design currently seen on the C lounge. 

Unrelated, but someone from CLT got back to me regarding the removal of trees. They said trees were removed for renovation purposes and unfortunately could not say if they would be replaced. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'm not referring to "scuffs." I'm referring to poorly poured terrazzo with embedded stains.

Agreed. Some of the new terrazzo in B & C looks awful when it shouldn't. I can't tell if it's a product issue, install issue, or maintenance issue. 

51 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

The one downside to the new lounge Admirals Club is that it is going in the space where a new FIS corridor from C was supposed to go.  Therefore, there isn't a plan in place for increasing FIS/Customs capacity at CLT to my knowledge.

It looks like the club will be a level above the boarding level and I thought, albeit it is not very clear on the diagram, they've marked off the sterile corridor from C to D so that plan to put INTL gates on C could still be a go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

It looks like the club will be a level above the boarding level and I thought, albeit it is not very clear on the diagram, they've marked off the sterile corridor from C to D so that plan to put INTL gates on C could still be a go.

The sterile corridor from C to D was supposed to be elevated (one level above the boarding area). While the entire east side of the concourse was due to be widened, the low even C gates were going to have escalators/elevators leading up to the sterile corridor that would bring arriving international passengers to the FIS. 

I can't see how that project can proceed with the club expansion. 

AA could have easily told the city that they don't plan to dramatically increase flights needing FIS-capability from CLT. I also wonder if physically Concourse C pier was deemed not structurally strong enough to handle the load of a second level.

1 hour ago, CltFlyer said:

The one downside to the new lounge Admirals Club is that it is going in the space where a new FIS corridor from C was supposed to go.  Therefore, there isn't a plan in place for increasing FIS/Customs capacity at CLT to my knowledge.

I assume the tarmac level of the new structure will be an FIS corridor.

The other day taxiing out for departure it looks like they are beginning to pour gravel for the South taxiway.  I would guess we will see concrete or asphalt poured down that way before summer.  It seemed to me that that project seems to be expedited.  I have even seen work being completed on it at night on a weekend.

In regards to everyone's discussion about a c concourse and customs, I wouldn't expect sea to be widened at all until the extension of c is also underway or completed. American I cannot lose all of that gate space during construction.  It would have to be a trade-off.  Like open new gates close old gates for renovation or expansion.  The company is already telling us we are negative gates.  Ie we are short up to 10 gates a day.  

14 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The sterile corridor from C to D was supposed to be elevated (one level above the boarding area). While the entire east side of the concourse was due to be widened, the low even C gates were going to have escalators/elevators leading up to the sterile corridor that would bring arriving international passengers to the FIS. 

I can't see how that project can proceed with the club expansion. 

AA could have easily told the city that they don't plan to dramatically increase flights needing FIS-capability from CLT. I also wonder if physically Concourse C pier was deemed not structurally strong enough to handle the load of a second level.

Regarding the FIS Connector to Concourse C, the Charlotte Ledger newsletter this morning provided a link to the Airport's bid documents for the project, and it is mentioned there in  a couple of places:

I am reluctant to quote too much from that document (it's 321 pages long, and I have just started to read it), but it does say on Page 20:

Mezzanine Level

• Airline Club Space 40,000 Square Feet
  • Vertical Circulation as required
  • Future FIS Connector 20’ clear width
  • Restrooms for FIS Connector as required by code

and on Page 21

• The Mezzanine level program reflects a space requirement as provided by American Airlines, and is not inclusive of the lobby on the Departures level or of the vertical circulation. As the implementation of a connector for the FIS to concourse C is not yet determined, this analysis only provides the envelope in which a connector corridor can be provided in the future, independent of the rest of the DECO program.

There's a very low-res sketch on Page 27 that appears to show that corridor on the ramp-side of the new mezzanine, between gates C2 and D1.  And, actually, it's shown more clearly on Pages 215 and 224

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1