Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

28 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

You'd think United would want to connect Charlotte to their network from SFO, especially with a Lufthansa flight. Maybe when Charlotte has more flyers using SFO to connect to Asia via United. 

SFO has its own Lufthansa service. This summer United and Lufthansa will fly SFO-Germany five times daily. 

Asia travel is still severely depressed due to the pandemic. United just pulled a whole bunch of China flying they had scheduled to fly this summer due to poor expected loads. 

9 hours ago, csweet said:

When did Spirit add CLT-DFW?

LH's 346 flies routes with high levels of business traffic, hence the 18-J configuration. The 359 has less premium seating, which explains the up gauge.

The flight starts on 5 May.

I doubt the up-gauge has anything to do with business traffic, again seeing as how most of their Munich-US routes also got an up-gauge. Business travel to/from Europe is traditionally lower in the summer (especially in August) when most Europeans take their annual summer leave. The extra 8 business class seats is marginal. 

The up-gauge also coincides with the flight dropping down from a daily service to a 6x weekly service, so the route will actually less weekly seats on the route overall.

It's likely just a matter of Lufthansa moving resources around as necessary.

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

SFO has its own Lufthansa service. This summer United and Lufthansa will fly SFO-Germany five times daily. 

Asia travel is still severely depressed due to the pandemic. United just pulled a whole bunch of China flying they had scheduled to fly this summer due to poor expected loads. 

The flight starts on 5 May.

Yeah I know they do, I was just saying that United is really the only other option for a second option from SFO, and having a Star Alliance international flight should help its ability slightly. 

13 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Yeah I know they do, I was just saying that United is really the only other option for a second option from SFO, and having a Star Alliance international flight should help its ability slightly. 

Not a single person flying Lufthansa to CLT is trying to get to San Francisco (or anywhere on the west coast really). If you're not going to take a nonstop flight, basically every single other United or Lufthansa flight to the US would be a more efficient one stop routing. Their CLT flight is essentially entirely O&D from Europe to the greater Charlotte area (NC and SC). Having that flight makes zero impact to whether United starting SFO-CLT.

4 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

You'd think United would want to connect Charlotte to their network from SFO, especially with a Lufthansa flight. Maybe when Charlotte has more flyers using SFO to connect to Asia via United. 

If United wanted to connect Charlotte passengers to Asia, they'd do it via ORD or EWR. 

AA is able to make CLT-SFO work because they can funnel the entire southeast's/east coast's demand to SFO through the connecting hub here. And SFO is a huge destination; a lot of people want to get there. On the flip side, UA could use their connecting hub at SFO to funnel all of the west coast's demand to Charlotte. The only problem is Charlotte isn't really a destination. Not nearly enough people want to come here so a UA flight wouldn't be serving enough demand to make sense.

51 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Not a single person flying Lufthansa to CLT is trying to get to San Francisco (or anywhere on the west coast really). If you're not going to take a nonstop flight, basically every single other United or Lufthansa flight to the US would be a more efficient one stop routing. Their CLT flight is essentially entirely O&D from Europe to the greater Charlotte area (NC and SC). Having that flight makes zero impact to whether United starting SFO-CLT.

If United wanted to connect Charlotte passengers to Asia, they'd do it via ORD or EWR. 

AA is able to make CLT-SFO work because they can funnel the entire southeast's/east coast's demand to SFO through the connecting hub here. And SFO is a huge destination; a lot of people want to get there. On the flip side, UA could use their connecting hub at SFO to funnel all of the west coast's demand to Charlotte. The only problem is Charlotte isn't really a destination. Not nearly enough people want to come here so a UA flight wouldn't be serving enough demand to make sense.

Exactly. Not to mention that CLT-SFO O&D levels haven't even recovered to their pre-pandemic high of roughly 400 PDEW. AA's 5x daily A321 flights throw more than enough seats (950 in total) than the CLT-SFO O&D market actually warrants. 

United would be foolish to waste an entire day's worth of flying for a single plane just to try to catch whatever traffic AA doesn't carry on the route...United would be much happier directing that traffic over one of its hubs. 

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

Not sure what's going on in the atrium, but all of the ficus trees have been removed and the tree wells are boarded over (not to mention the moving sidewalks are--yet again--out of service (and have been for two weeks now). 

Honestly, I'm beginning to think they should just tear the whole place down and start over. 

Removing the trees is certainly a head-scratcher for me considering how long they have been there, and how "tree-focused" CLT has been over the years...there are also trees on E and there are supposed to be trees in the renovated landside terminal. 

Maybe they were diseased and are being replaced? It seems like even if they were simply being replaced within a short period, you would have to cover up the tree wells for safety reasons, so someone not paying attention did not just step into a well. 

No excuse for the moving sidewalks, however. 

Isn't the atrium supposed to undergo a refurbishment? I know they had temporary signage up when I was there in late December. I wonder if they are simply about to completely replace the moving sidewalks and had to take the trees out as a result.  

Edited by LKN704

Maybe the ficus tree roots have gotten through their containers and are damaging the mechanicals for the moving walkway that are so close? Ficus trees have incredibly invasive and strong roots. As the trees mature, they easily break through infrastructure like a champ. 

Sidewalks and Trees in Westchester – Exploring Westchester / Playa  Neighborhoods with Data

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Maybe the ficus tree roots have gotten through their containers and are damaging the mechanicals for the moving walkway that are so close? Ficus trees have incredibly invasive and strong roots. As the trees mature, they easily break through infrastructure like a champ. 

The trees are in containers which are in wells. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TCLT said:

They fly a single daily flight to Nashville, RDU and PIT.  While I understand they have to contend with AA, they fly twice daily to TPA, despite Alaska also flying there. United can maintain a 738 to Denver, while competing with 5 AA and a Frontier flight, I don't think a single flight to CLT is completely out of the question. I was merely offering that its the only option for a second airline to SFO. CLT to Hawaii via SFO on United would seem like a reasonable connection.

They fly a single daily flight to Nashville, RDU and PIT.  While I understand they have to contend with AA, they fly twice daily to TPA, despite Alaska also flying there. United can maintain a 738 to Denver, while competing with 5 AA and a Frontier flight, I don't think a single flight to CLT is completely out of the question. I was merely offering that its the only option for a second airline to SFO. CLT to Hawaii via SFO on United would seem like a reasonable connection.

Yes, you’re right that UA is the only non-AA option for a nonstop flight to SFO. But you’re comparing apples and oranges to try to gauge its likelihood. Nashville and Tampa are tourist destinations with widespread appeal. Raleigh has more west coast tech company presence. None of them have enormous competitor hubs. DEN is a United hub where they can provide unique connections. And most importantly it’s significantly closer to CLT so it can be served by a regional jet with a lot fewer seats and lower costs. The limited amount of demand from Charlotte to Hawaii can be well served by closer hubs. SFO would not offer anything new or advantageous in that regard. There just isn’t enough demand between CLT and SFO, especially with the post pandemic state of business travel, to justify a flight that will use up so much aircraft time to a competitor hub where the competitor has pricing power and you serve no unique demand. It’s not out of the question but in a world where United is focusing on growing its mid-continent hubs SFO-CLT IS not going to be a priority for them.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Capacity reduction at AA hubs including Charlotte which seems to have the smallest reduction.  

""CLT among airports where the cuts will hit
With the latest cuts, American's capacity between May and September will be up 6% year over year, but down about 4% from 2019.

Several of American's biggest hubs will see the largest cuts:

Chicago O'Hare International Airport - Reduction of 5,910 flights, or 11.3%
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport - Reduction of 5,054 flight, or 5.3%
Charlotte Douglas International Airport - Reduction of 3,991 flights, or 4.5%
Philadelphia International Airport - Reduction of 3,706 flights, or 10.3%
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport - Reduction of 2,822 flights, or 11.1%

Koos noted that American — which controls 90% of total flights at Charlotte Douglas — will operate nearly 600 daily departures in June and July from CLT.

Despite the constraints on capacity, Isom said demand for flying remains strong. He told analysts last month that post-holiday bookings are off to a "strong" start.""

from Biz Journal  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/02/22/american-airlines-summer-schedule-flight-cuts-clt.html

Wondering how many of DFW and CLT cuts are regional. PHL has been taking blows left and right recently - they can barely support trans con service.  

Will this be CLT's strongest INT'l summer yet?  

A

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shado_jaguar said:

I think this is part of the long awaited atrium renovations that would add a mezzanine over the food court

https://charlottenc.gov/DoingBusiness/Lists/Solicitations/Attachments/810/RFQ 2018-08-005 Terminal Atrium and Mezzanine Renovations.pdf

see page 13

Looks like the new mezzanine would cover the existing trees so this makes sense.    I wonder what the start date is for major construction