Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

20 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Here in the terminal, the maps have yet to be updated. SMH. 

Love those exposed plugs. Very industrial. 

E9B2E5D1-2A0D-49F0-BB11-D5971F29CF07.jpeg

The signs are just so laughably bad. The backlighting and the ink quality of the print. Part of my job is creating signs like this, and they should never look all splotchy with inconsistencies everywhere. somebody should have rejected these upon delivery.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The signs are just so laughably bad. The backlighting and the ink quality of the print. Part of my job is creating signs like this, and they should never look all splotchy with inconsistencies everywhere. somebody should have rejected these upon delivery.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are yet replaced. They may have had to get those installed just to get the concourse open and will replace with better quality soon. (a theory based on personal experience)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are yet replaced. They may have had to get those installed just to get the concourse open and will replace with better quality soon. (a theory based on personal experience)

They do look temporary.  Zoom in and you can see screws or nails along the bottom.  If that was the intended look, I am sure that they would have spaced the screws more evenly.  

6 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I don’t see any screws or nails anywhere. They look identical to all signs in A North. 

I added arrows pointing to the (possibly imaginary) screws.  I recognize that I might be be very wrong, though.   

signs.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

World Class. 

In their defense, they weren't aiming for world class (despite the "fit for a queen" campaign).  It's a no frills airport and the biggest need is expanded concourses and more seats.  In Terminal A expansion, they cleared that low bar.

8 minutes ago, stw52 said:

I know it was mentioned previously here, but maybe there is renewed hope for an all year round CLT - DUB flight. Irish airline is to expand with three new transatlantic flights. BoAs post Brexit moves to Dublin has increased this chance of happening.

Aer Lingus to announce new transatlantic routes in weeks

I got excited at first thinking DUB was Dubai, but then I got confused about the Irish, talk, then I remembered Dubai is DXB. I really want a Middle Eastern airline to come here. I took Qatar out of Atlanta and it was excellent.

• Like 1

Let's discuss the planned fourth Parallel Runway set to commence construction in the 2020 timeframe.  Being planned as a 12,000ft Runway does AA have plans to begin non-stop flights to Asia from CLT?  I think that's normally what the larger runways are needed for.  Transpacific flights.

Is there (will there) be demand for direct flights to major Asia destinations? (Beijing, Hong-Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, New Delhi, Sydney)

22 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Let's discuss the planned fourth Parallel Runway set to commence construction in the 2020 timeframe.  Being planned as a 12,000ft Runway does AA have plans to begin non-stop flights to Asia from CLT?  I think that's normally what the larger runways are needed for.  Transpacific flights.

Is there (will there) be demand for direct flights to major Asia destinations? (Beijing, Hong-Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, New Delhi, Sydney)

AA is pretty weak to Asia compared to Delta and United, and is focusing their efforts to grow in the region from LAX and DFW.

In addition, CLT is probably the worst positioned AA hub, besides MIA, for flights to Asia. Passengers west of CLT can connect in DFW or LAX, while passengers north of North Carolina can better connect in Chicago. That leaves NC, SC, VA, GA, and FL making sense for routing through CLT. AA currently routes Florida connections over DFW from Asia.

I think it will come eventually, but the city needs to grow a bit more so the flight isn't 95% connections and our hub carrier needs to build out their West Coast network to Asia so they can then focus on CLT.

Edited by CLT2014

^ from a distance perspective the Northern Asia cities (Tokyo, Beijing and Seoul) are the only ones close enough to serve from CLT on relatively conventional aircraft. Cities further South (Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney) start to push the current 9,000 mile limit on ultra long range flights. 

Even if aircraft for these very long range flights were available I doubt they would be deployed here. Those flights require lots of high-margin passengers, something that we just don’t have much of.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

AA is pretty weak to Asia compared to Delta and United, and is focusing their efforts to grow in the region from LAX and DFW.

In addition, CLT is probably the worst positioned AA hub, besides MIA, for flights to Asia. Passengers west of CLT can connect in DFW or LAX, while passengers north of North Carolina can better connect in Chicago. That leaves NC, SC, VA, GA, and FL making sense for routing through CLT. AA currently routes Florida connections over DFW from Asia.

I think it will come eventually, but the city needs to grow a bit more and our hub carrier needs to build out their West Coast network to Asia so they can then focus on CLT.

I'd like to see Japan Airlines with a flight to Tokyo.  I'd also like to see a Qatar Airways flight to Doha, although Doha is in the ME and that is for all intents and purposes a separate market even though it's technically a part of the Asian continent.  I love American and I am glad we have such a booming operation for them but I'd really like to see some international carriers start flying more of our international routes.  

I do not, however, see any flights to any part of Asia in the near future.  Charlotte is about 10 years from being able to support a flight to Asia... just like MLB.;)

Edited by cltbwimob

34 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ from a distance perspective the Northern Asia cities (Tokyo, Beijing and Seoul) are the only ones close enough to serve from CLT on relatively conventional aircraft. Cities further South (Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney) start to push the current 9,000 mile limit on ultra long range flights. 

Even if aircraft for these very long range flights were available I doubt they would be deployed here. Those flights require lots of high-margin passengers, something that we just don’t have much of.

Atlanta only has those 3 plus Shanghai to Asia and probably won't have additional locations anytime soon.