Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

I wonder how likely it would be for LH to drop CLT-MUC and add CLT-FRA. 

I'd say it's unlikely they would drop MUC and replace it with FRA given that the majority of Charlotte's German connections including BMW are in the German State of Bavaria.  I wonder if they would maybe add CLT-FRA though to compliment CLT-MUC in retaliation?  Probably not likely but an interesting thought.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3

^^^ Very interesting podcast they AA really want to grow their 2 biggest hubs DFW and Charlotte and this include quite a bit more international service out of CLT they said. Look forward to more announcements what about Amsterdam, year round Rome Madrid Dublin etc

• Like 1

I agree with AMS, I could also see MAN returning, CDG  and MAD going year round,  a return to GRU (Sao Paulo), and maybe even EZE (Buenos Aires).   

I think It would easier to add deep South American flights than European flights in the short term given that they depart CLT late at night and arrive back at CLT first thing in the morning.

It all depends on demand obviously though.  I think I remember hearing that the Brazil flights depended heavily on connections to MCO.  I wonder if that has changed since the Brazilian economy has begun to rebound. 

I don't see Rio returning at this point, but he didn't specify where the international focus will be so anything could be possible at this point.

Edited by CltFlyer

Deep South-American flights tie up two aircraft due to the way the flights are scheduled (both Northbound and Southbound flights operate overnight, leaving the aircraft sitting around all day in South America before returning back to the US.), so AA isn't going to waste up two precious widebody aircraft on a route that would not necessarily perform well. I fail to see South American flights return, however I do potentially see BOG or LIM, just because those can be operated with narrow-body aircraft.

AA is also unlikely to launch a new station from CLT, but rather supplement current service from other hubs.

I see MAD going year-round, possibly CDG resuming year-round service as well, with new seasonal service to AMS and MAN. KEF wouldn't surprise me either.

With AA ending PHL-FRA/MUC for good and letting CLT take over the mission. I wonder if next summer we'll see an A333 on CLT-FRA. Maybe in the future we'll see 2 summer flights between CLT-FRA?

I'm still sticking with my BA return, year round MAD/CDG , summer seasonal AMS, MAN, VCE LIS, and KEF predictions from here. Should be exciting times ahead in Charlotte....

Edited by JetBlueCLT
  • Like 2

Flew out to St. Louis for work on Sunday and was shaking my head at how much work still needs to be completed on the walkway down terminal B.  It has been several years since I flew out of CLT, and what a difference there is.  It seems like the terminal expansion (drop-off and pickup areas) is crawling at a snail's pace.  Sunday morning at 7:30 was a zoo - which was a little surprising to me.  Returning yesterday, our flight was only half full, which also puzzled me - even though it was coming from STL.  That terminal is small, but the airfield is HUGE!  I can remember hearing that was a huge hub at one point, but after all of the consolidation, a lot of that activity got shifted to Chicago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

Flew out to St. Louis for work on Sunday and was shaking my head at how much work still needs to be completed on the walkway down terminal B.  It has been several years since I flew out of CLT, and what a difference there is.  It seems like the terminal expansion (drop-off and pickup areas) is crawling at a snail's pace.  

Concourse B has been under construction for 11 months. It is scheduled for a 14 month window. The long time is due to construction crews having only a 6 hour window to work between 11PM and 5AM since it is still an operating terminal.

If the terminal was completely shut down it would probably have taken half the time, but American would have no where to park planes. 

1 hour ago, csweet said:

I could definitely see AS adding route(s) from SEA/SFO. UA has not tackled the SFO gap, and neither has DL in SEA. I believe there is space for 4 daily flights out of the flex gate in A. 

The sfo flights on AA are pretty open.   And prices are bizarre.  I purchased a first class fare for only 5 dollars more than coach.   That flight was maybe half full.

20 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Concourse B has been under construction for 11 months. It is scheduled for a 14 month window. The long time is due to construction crews having only a 6 hour window to work between 11PM and 5AM since it is still an operating terminal.

If the terminal was completely shut down it would probably have taken half the time, but American would have no where to park planes. 

Which concourse is next?  Also at 14 months per concourse that's like at least 4.5 years.... That pace needs to improve...

3 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

The sfo flights on AA are pretty open.   And prices are bizarre.  I purchased a first class fare for only 5 dollars more than coach.   That flight was maybe half full.

Which concourse is next?  Also at 14 months per concourse that's like at least 4.5 years.... That pace needs to improve...

Shutting the gates down is not an option for AA. DFW had the same problem and had to keep gates open and do construction at night. Concourse E renovations (36 gates) at DFW took 6 years. Concourse A (26 gates) at DFW began renovations in 2011 and finished in 2017. Renovating a working building is often much more challenging than building from scratch logistically.

CLT is trying to have every gate renovated by the end of 2020. Concourse A (old) is next. With only Delta there and some gates empty it can move quicker.

Edited by CLT2014

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Shutting the gates down is not an option for AA. DFW had the same problem and had to keep gates open and do construction at night. Concourse E renovations (36 gates) at DFW took 6 years. Concourse A (26 gates) at DFW began renovations in 2011 and finished in 2017. Renovating a working building is often much more challenging than building from scratch logistically.

CLT is trying to have every gate renovated by the end of 2020. Concourse A (old) is next. With only Delta there and some gates empty it can move quicker.

Feels like they should expand new A first and then close old A down so that they can get the renovation done in half the time or less.  Then reopen old A and close C for renovations.  

Better yet, Finish new A and raze old A and rebuild from scratch. They already have the apron around old A. That way, everything on the west side of the airport (the visible part from the roadway)  looks brand spankin' new!

Edited by stiluvclt

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, JetBlueCLT said:

Alaska Airlines is announcing new markets in a few weeks. Hopefully we finally get there service.

Unlikely. An Alaska employee on another site (who is known to be pretty reliable) doubts that it is CLT. He stated that while AS continues to look at CLT and evaluate CLT for potential service, they continue to take a pass, and if they wanted to serve CLT, they would have done it a couple of years back when fuel/revenue wasn't a concern. 

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Unlikely. An Alaska employee on another site (who is known to be pretty reliable) doubts that it is CLT. He stated that while AS continues to look at CLT and evaluate CLT for potential service, they continue to take a pass, and if they wanted to serve CLT, they would have done it a couple of years back when fuel/revenue wasn't a concern. 

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

0968324C-766D-4E9B-B401-E933DDD5236A.jpeg.90991113b98c9a4e9427f539d3da4dc2.jpeg3A746EDC-308A-4114-8167-92D4A8BCE47A.jpeg.faab2851d36ae48322f0fb7bd168e380.jpeg7C8EFD0F-4D45-4883-AAFB-302BA6211C80.thumb.jpeg.4f2b97236340458cadf2e5cc7e6d7995.jpeg0E187C5B-CA05-4853-B59F-AA767E6AEC7E.jpeg.0b75921d00d077c3585f00793e8bd58a.jpeg

The CLT-MUC schedule has been posted, which gives hope (IMO) to Lufthansa staying in CLT. AA appears to be going more for connections- with an early eastbound flight- while LH is going for local traffic.

EDIT: The flight has been removed for some reason. I couldn't search for the flight for some reason. 

Edited by CLT704
  • Thanks 1