Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I just saw that.

While of course I would have liked it to be CLT, it's always nice to see a medium sized city in the US gain TATL service. This flight will  be a true test of the 787s capabilities on long and thin routes.

I knew Aus was a possibility but didn't think it had much of a chance,....Then again, everyone loves Austin right now for some unknown reason.

Per this article from Business Week is appears the lower cost economics of the 787 made an Austin to London-Heathrow route possible. Also, throw in Austin's growing relevance, especially in the tech sector and tourism, it made sense. Austin is booming right now and has been for some time. 

Unfortunately, I say 0%. I would love it because our company does business with Norway so it would be perfect for us; but really there is not that much demand at all for this because this is purely for leisure travel as business travelers would never fly this airline, which is the primary demographic for Charlotte's O&D travelers.  

So back to the authority, errr, commission.

The whole conodrum was (besides the "Charlotte" is too immature to have control over the airport) having the committee pick very knowledgable aviation insiders and keep politics out.

Johnny Harris will be the oversite committee of the airport commission activities.

A 5 member over site committee over the commission 3 appointed from Raleigh, 2 Charlotte.

Gaston county picked their county commissioner as their pick for the commission with no aviation background...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/05/4289905/future-uncertain-but-airport-commission.html

There are other appointments also no aviation background; just suburban business owners and county commissoners.

I will never in my life ever vote GOP again after this. This is sleazy. Corrupt. Disgusting. So yes, we do technically have more appointed people on the commission but the overwrite committee slants it basically to exactly what the authority was in the beginning just 2 different groups.....

So the compromise of "well Charlotte gets more appointments" was nothing more than a lie and the Airport Authority to begin with....

Can't believe Johnny Harris will oversee our Airport activities..... Unbelievable...

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

^

One of the candidates is Rick Cloutier, executive director of Concord Regional Airport...

“I don’t think it’s any conflict of interest,” Cloutier said. He said that if he’s elected, one of his goals will be to protect Concord’s airport.

Um, shouldn't his goal be to protect the interests of CLT?  This is BS.

Edited by vassago
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good! Although the NC government has created the airport commission,the FAA is treating the commission like it doesn't even exist!

In the CBJ, Haglemann, our city attorney said he has talked to the FAA numerous times where Vinroot is furious they don't even respond to the Commission or even Jerry Orr.

After weeks of waiting for a reply from emails from Vinroot, Vinroot was furious after no response from the FAA & called the FAA. They simply stated they would review the letter he sent weeks ago!!!

All while talking extensively to Charlotte and ignoring Vinroot/Orr/Commission, hahaha.

Vinroot thinks its outrageous Government is meddling in local affairs. Join the club bimbo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the whole situation with the airport was retribution itself. Besides, annoying the Sec. Of Transportation is not the smartest move.

I'm still aggravated with surrounding counties, Samuelson, Rucho, Tillis, Raleigh and Repulican Legislators. On the bright side, I'm pleased Charlotte GOP were supportive of keeping the airport

This is perhaps a bold prediction but I think the AA/US merger is likely to prevail in court. Initially the DOJ asked for a March trial date but, the judge sided with the airlines and set a November trial date; the DOJ then asked for a delay as a result of the government shutdown, but the judge rejected that request. The AA bankruptcy judge approved their exit plan which is contingent on the US merger. Texas dropped its antitrust lawsuit, and US Airways stock is at approximately the same level it was just prior to the lawsuit. These indications, when taken in the aggregate, suggest that the DOJ lawsuit will not stand, however I am not an oracle or prophet, so I could be wrong. Take my speculation for what it's worth.

Per the CO, Frontier airlines is coming to Charlotte with flights from Charlotte to Trenton, NJ

Interesting first destination for Frontier. Hopefully this will be one of several flights that they will eventually have out of CLT...(cough) Denver (cough)

Edited by wend28