THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

I've been on this board for a couple of years and that chant has always come from a minority obsessed few. The main chant has been density and urbanity. This is, after all, urban planet, not skyline looks good on a postcard planet.

You have to admit that those "obsessed few" really do have a loud voice. It is almost creepy in a way how into height some people are. I think the building could like an industrial prison from the sidewalk, and lit up using flashlights, but if it is over 500 feet tall, it would be the best in Orlando. Kind of weird if you ask me, but then again you didn't ask me.

You have to admit that those "obsessed few" really do have a loud voice. It is almost creepy in a way how into height some people are. I think the building could like an industrial prison from the sidewalk, and lit up using flashlights, but if it is over 500 feet tall, it would be the best in Orlando. Kind of weird if you ask me, but then again you didn't ask me.

well, at the risk of sounding like one of the Superfans from SNL, you know what they say in the Windy City: ..."Sears is taller."

Sears Tower: 28 acres of black anodized aluminum panels

108 Floors

1451' above Chicago.

Ummm... I'm not obsessed! :whistling:

And you know if it were possible for us to get a 600ft or 700ft building and if they actually built one it would be the talk of the town, and prob. the most visited and commented thread on the orlando forum.

So whats wrong with tall if you can have ground stuff at the same time? Sorry for chanting but......

TALLER TALLER TALLER HIGHER TALLER TALLER TALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

And you know if it were possible for us to get a 600ft or 700ft building and if they actually built one it would be the talk of the town, and prob. the most visited and commented thread on the orlando forum.

So whats wrong with tall if you can have ground stuff at the same time? Sorry for chanting but......

TALLER TALLER TALLER HIGHER TALLER TALLER TALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

I moved to Orlando in 1990 during the 'gold rush' era- when the state required new residents to pay a $500 car impact fee (per vehicle) in addition to registration fees, when moving companies extorted $1000 from every new resident and threatened to hold belongs hostage, and when 'job agencies' charged $300 to give the unemployed access to employment ads that were basically cut from the newspaper and glued on post cards. The papers published articles that would lead one to believe that there was a gross population boom- 1000 people per day moving to Orlando. What they didn't publish was the number of people leaving....estimated at about 600.

I have always had a passion for architecture and design and, as an 'on-the-side' hobby, enjoyed watching and waiting for new downtown developments. I have religiously read the posts here for years. I have also collected the photographs. One source I thoroughly enjoyed was downtownorlando.com.

There have been a large number of very impressive developments in the works over the past 16 years- most of which did not get built. It all boils down to money. If the developer isn't going to make money, the building won't get built. If the developer isn't going to clear a good profit, the development will be scaled back...there goes the fluff.

As excited as I am about all these impressive developments currently in the works, from past experience, it is my opinion that well over 50% (a conservative figure) will fall apart and/or simply fade away...never to be heard of again. I have seen it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the others. I get very frustrated with the 'stubble' that is being built.....I say, TALLER, TALLER, TALLER.

I believe, my opinion, in decades (emphasis on plural) to come, Orlando will enter its prime. I believe that will happen when big businesses, insurance companies, and banks begin to see Orlando as a self-sustaining, legitimate metropolis in which to do business, finance, commerce, manufacturing, etc. and wish to be headquartered here....just like all the grown-up cities (Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New York). The tourist and service industries (low wages and unskilled labor) are at the foundation of Orlando's current existence.

When that time comes, the prime downtown land will have been eaten up by all these low and midrise developments (stubble). With prime land at a shortage and a high demand for office space, developments will go skyward. When you can no longer build outward, you have to go up.

Study the history of any of the older cities....New York and Boston, for example, were once dotted with stubble. With the shortage of and demand for space, buildings were built taller.

Traveling west over Interstate 4, I have to admit, the skyline is surely changing; but from the expressway traveling west, the buildings seem to be readily swallowed by the trees.

When that time comes, the prime downtown land will have been eaten up by all these low and midrise developments (stubble). With prime land at a shortage and a high demand for office space, developments will go skyward. When you can no longer build outward, you have to go up.

Study the history of any of the older cities....New York and Boston, for example, were once dotted with stubble. With the shortage of and demand for space, buildings were built taller.

Traveling west over Interstate 4, I have to admit, the skyline is surely changing; but from the expressway traveling west, the buildings seem to be readily swallowed by the trees.

I don't disagree!

That land shortage hasn't happened yet and there is no pressure for anyone to build taller as much as many people wish they would. The downtown area is awash with under used or vacant land. So the taller advocates can complain and be disappointed for decades, emphasis on the plural, or they can - like me - revel in the boom and renaissance that we are seeing.

Thousands of new upscale residents are about to begin moving downtown. New restaurants, stores, and entertainment venues will be opening to serve these residents; making downtown even that much more attractive to future residents and businesses. While we are beginning to see some impact in building density, the real impact will occur after the moving vans have delivered the sofas, beds, and the pots and pans.

These are changes like we have never seen in Orlando. The number of people living downtown is increasing many times over in just a few years. And I think OPAC will accelerate this. I just think there is WAY too much to be excited about to understand how ones focus can go negative.

As you have said, there is a natural progression as to when buildings start to go taller. We are nowhere close to having those kind of land pressures. So the choice isn't do you want taller buildings, the choice is are you going to recognize the incredible blossoming that we are experiencing and be glad, or for the next 30 years be depressed that you were born at the wrong time.

I want flying cars and glass tube transports - but to complain about it at this point in history seems a bit foolish.

Edited by cwetteland

I don't disagree!

That land shortage hasn't happened yet and there is no pressure for anyone to build taller as much as many people wish they would. The downtown area is awash with under used or vacant land. So the taller advocates can complain and be disappointed for decades, emphasis on the plural, or they can - like me - revel in the boom and renaissance that we are seeing.

Thousands of new upscale residents are about to begin moving downtown. New restaurants, stores, and entertainment venues will be opening to serve these residents; making downtown even that much more attractive to future residents and businesses. While we are beginning to see some impact in building density, the real impact will occur after the moving vans have delivered the sofas, beds, and the pots and pans.

These are changes like we have never seen in Orlando. The number of people living downtown is increasing many times over in just a few years. And I think OPAC will accelerate this. I just think there is WAY too much to be excited about to understand how ones focus can go negative.

I think you have made an extremely valid point regarding Orlando

Sorry onative, I have to throw my 2 cents in here before we can get back to pics. I completely agree with cwetteland and JJM62. Height will come, when the market allows it. Concerning the Sears Tower comments - and I will testify under oath the Sears is my absolute FAVORITE building in the world - one has to keep in mind it stood half empty for over a decade after it was built. So while it was amazingly tall and a source of civic pride, etc., financially speaking it wasn't really justified. Even today it stands about 20% vacant. Height will come. Meanwhile, were building a great downtown core regardless of our 440 ft pseudo-limit.

I've said it before but I'm not convinced that our skyline would look a bit different without a height limit. I think it's been demand and economics that has lmited our height. That may not be true in 5 more years but for now I can't think of a project that really was moving forward that had to scale back because of the FAA.

• 2 weeks later...

Took some pics today of the Orlando skyline as viewed from the south (ORMC). We don't usually see this view much, put it is greatly improving. I think the view would have been better if it were from another 1/2 mile or so further south. Click on the link below to view pics. Enjoy!

http://img309.imageshack.us/slideshow/play...1553020m29.smil

Maybe we should start a poll to see just how many of those "obsessed few" are on here!

*raises hand*

Unabashed skyscraper buff here. Although I would like to point out that there is a false dichotomy afoot here. Preference for height does not necessarily suggest indifference about the way the building meets the street.

Made it out of there just in time. When I got off the elevator the guard at the parking gate had assembled a couple more security people, I think they were getting ready to come up after me. :shok:

Okay, seriously what is the deal with taking photos in our city? Is it really that odd that individuals would want photos of our city? Know your rights!

It probably is a trespassing issue, but we really shouldn't get that much harrasment at the parking garage at one of our major medical centers. :(

Since 9/11 everything is like that. I used to ride my bicycle up and down that garage. Florida Hospital too. Used to run up and down the stairwells at ORMC garage for the cardio workout. Took several pics from there. I haven't been to either in a long time and quite frankly would be quite nervous about it for the same reasons mentioned.