THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Wooo! This was right up there with Tradition Towers as my favorite proposal so it's great to hear that it's a legit project and not just another fictional concept intended to help market a parcel of land that's for sale. Best of luck to you, Mr. Gouda, and please keep us posted.

Wooo! This was right up there with Tradition Towers as my favorite proposal so it's great to hear that it's a legit project and not just another fictional concept intended to help market a parcel of land that's for sale. Best of luck to you, Mr. Gouda, and please keep us posted.

Agreed. Please do keep us updated. I hope that the overall scope of the project will not be sacrificed in the lessening of the height. In that regard, I do hope that the overall height will not be drastically effected. Thank you for your contribution to our forum

As a supporter of our rejuvenated downtown, I fully support this project.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

I read the minutes from the MPB hearing yesterday and was unable to determine why the project was denied. There is just no evidence from the minutes to help understand this. Did they point to any specific issues as to why they did not support the staff report? Normally, the staff report rules unless their is intense public opposition.

There is intense opposition from the folks who's invested in TT. I say the City denies this project for the time being, lets TT finish off it's sales, break ground, and then approves this project once it will no longer interfere with TT's viability :)

I read the minutes from the MPB hearing yesterday and was unable to determine why the project was denied. There is just no evidence from the minutes to help understand this. Did they point to any specific issues as to why they did not support the staff report? Normally, the staff report rules unless their is intense public opposition.

Although I wouldn't call the public opposition "intense", there definetly was some heavy representation by some groups with some serious pull. These groups individually stand to lose in one way or another provided this project is built. I personally like the project but it is unmistakably very high density for its location and that is the issue at this point.

There is intense opposition from the folks who's invested in TT. I say the City denies this project for the time being, lets TT finish off it's sales, break ground, and then approves this project once it will no longer interfere with TT's viability :)

I agree with you. get TT off the ground, then reevaluate. To me, Lake Eola isn't all that much to look at anyway-- having a good vantage point which includes views of nice tall towers is as much a plus as a water view, IMO.

Thanks, Mr. Gouda, for posting and good luck! We all love that tower.

Edited by JRS1

Although I wouldn't call the public opposition "intense", there definetly was some heavy representation by some groups with some serious pull. These groups individually stand to lose in one way or another provided this project is built. I personally like the project but it is unmistakably very high density for its location and that is the issue at this point.

do you think the approval of this project would impede the success/construction of TT?

Shhh!! Be careful saying that too loud around here, your liable to start at least a three day war.

I imagine that this wouldn't affect TT too much. In all reality, Mr Gouda has quite a few hurdles and hoops to jump before this project grows legs. I think by then TT will be a foregone conclusion. *fingers crossed*

Edited by orlandonative

Very funny in regards to the cheese jokes... Actually I played soccer with two Colby brothers in high school. We were all on the same line.

I would like to have received more feedback and direction from the MPB board. Density and hight were clearly issues raised. We are doing our best to address their concerns. We hope that by removing the residential component and the associated traffic and parking, we will have a more favorable outcome. Our next proposal will be much lower in overall height and volume.

As stated earlier those that spoke in opposition at the November MPB were primarily nearby parties. We respect their right to state their opposition to any project, as we hope they will respect our right to seek to develop our property.

We hope that by removing 86 units from the pipeline we will receive the support of the area

Very funny in regards to the cheese jokes... Actually I played soccer with two Colby brothers in high school. We were all on the same line.

I would like to have received more feedback and direction from the MPB board. Density and hight were clearly issues raised. We are doing our best to address their concerns. We hope that by removing the residential component and the associated traffic and parking, we will have a more favorable outcome. Our next proposal will be much lower in overall height and volume.

As stated earlier those that spoke in opposition at the November MPB were primarily nearby parties. We respect their right to state their opposition to any project, as we hope they will respect our right to seek to develop our property.

We hope that by removing 86 units from the pipeline we will receive the support of the area

Have faith... I think we have a great concept in the works that will retain the spirit of the original design.

Alright, I'm keeping the faith. But I can't take very many more proposals like 385 North Orange, The Rosalind or Magnolia Circle..I thought this 205/215 design was very sleek and smooth....FYI....I'm not trying to pick on Baker Barrios by bringing up these proposals....but you have to admit some of these could use some help and it was nice looking at a proposal where the building does not look so stubby...I think one of their best designs (Central Park Apts.) was never built.......

Edited by UPSDAN

Have faith... I think we have a great concept in the works that will retain the spirit of the original design.

I too am saddened by the fact you guys are doing somewhat of a major downgrade

the original concept was perhaps my favorite out of all the proposed projects in downtown orlando

well that and TT

Hmm, I have to hope this thing is not to majorly changed

the original concept was perhaps my favorite out of all the proposed projects in downtown orlando

well that and TT

PLEASE RECONSIDER the HEIGHT issue with this building, that was too great of a tower design to throw away. NO MORE SQUATS downtown PLEASE. isnt there another way to work around this. Just give them (the crybaby neighbors ) something they want in exchange for the height and design to stay the same. :yahoo:

well that and TT

Me too.... I liked the original art deco design the best of anything being proposed downtown.

The original design really should stay. I see the traffic as a non-issue and it appears from the minutes that the City Traffic Engineer felt the same. Obviously, no major road improvements are going to occur on any of these downtown streets and if this could not be approved based on traffic issues, then I cannot see how anything could be approved. I see traffic as a non-issue for this project.

I think the City procedure for this type of approval is pretty clear. The property is zoned for a certain density. If the Applicant wants to request a bonus above the approved density, then they must provide good justifcation in the form of extra amenities and other public benefits. Clearly, the kisk-ass seating area along Lake Eola would be a good example. I would really hate to see this project downgraded.

The original design really should stay. I see the traffic as a non-issue and it appears from the minutes that the City Traffic Engineer felt the same. Obviously, no major road improvements are going to occur on any of these downtown streets and if this could not be approved based on traffic issues, then I cannot see how anything could be approved. I see traffic as a non-issue for this project.

I think the City procedure for this type of approval is pretty clear. The property is zoned for a certain density. If the Applicant wants to request a bonus above the approved density, then they must provide good justifcation in the form of extra amenities and other public benefits. Clearly, the kisk-ass seating area along Lake Eola would be a good example. I would really hate to see this project downgraded.

very solid point

after all, if we are going to acheive a downtown we want, we will have a gradual shift from car traffic to more foot and public transportation traffic. Traffic comes with the territory, and it is impossible to make a dense and heavily populated downtown without increasing the traffic. I personally don't mind at all parking in a garage on the outskirts of downtown and either walking or taking a bus to where I want to go.

I personally would like to see more of a european approach taken to our new urban centers in the fact that you don't need a car to get around( you can easily live without one).

From my stay in london I remember despite the fact it is incredibly dense(with a population of 7.5 million or so, correct me if im wrong) there were still primarily two lane roads, and very much so doable without any trouble at all from going to one point to another.

I personally hate surburbia, I would prefer close dense communities, where I can walk to my neighbors house or walk to my local pub. It takes me 5-10 minutes by car just to get out of my neighborhood area up in wintersprings.

But anyways, aside all that, I really hope the project heads listen to our cry, and preserve the integrity of this wonderful building.

I say bring on the density, and everything else associated with this project.

(P.S. What do you suppose the chances are that we develope european type neighborhoods in and throughout our new urban core. I cannot say I would miss our current suburbia)