THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Awesome pics Progress! Did you happen to take any of the federal courthouse? :P
No, but I did take some of the OC Courthouse from the LYNX station. My friend and I were questioned as to why we were taking photos and asked if we knew about 9/11. Racial profiling I'd say. But thanks for the compliment!

ChurchStreet.jpg

This shot is Legendary!

Would love to see a bigger version of it. I don't want to get scolded for going into a photography disccusion here, but have you switched cameras?

Thanks! I have a few more like it that I took at the same time. I am still using my Canon Digital Rebel, so same camera. This was definitely one of my favorite shots. I just kept telling myself--- imagine this being the commuter rail.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

No, but I did take some of the OC Courthouse from the LYNX station. My friend and I were questioned as to why we were taking photos and asked if we knew about 9/11. Racial profiling I'd say. But thanks for the compliment!

Thanks! I have a few more like it that I took at the same time. I am still using my Canon Digital Rebel, so same camera. This was definitely one of my favorite shots. I just kept telling myself--- imagine this being the commuter rail.

God knows those turrur'ists are just itching for a chance to blow up our county courthouse. I think I read in the sentinel that they now have bomb sniffing machines there now.

Went out and took some pictures today.

The first one was challenging, has anyone seen that huge dirt mound near Parramore off of I4, I had to climb it to get this shot,must be about 40-50ft tall. The last picture is the dynetech site which is moving along at a snails pace!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/Bu...nOrlando006.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/Bu...nOrlando009.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/Bu...nOrlando004.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/Bu...nOrlando016.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/Bu...nOrlando018.jpg

Edited by Bucktown_Orl

Went out and took some pictures today.

The first one was challenging, has anyone seen that huge dirt mound near Parramore off of I4, I had to climb it to get this shot,must be about 40-50ft tall. The last picture is the dynetech site which is moving along at a snails pace!

It sucks that you can't see more of the Solaire sticking up. It should be about equal in height to the Sun Bank.

It sucks that you can't see more of the Solaire sticking up. It should be about equal in height to the Sun Bank.

It sucks that so much emphasis is put on how buildings look from a mile or two away. Urbanism is experienced on the sidewalk. Let it get built and occupied and then judge it by the vigor that residents bring to downtown and by what the movie theater traffic and restaurant traffic it generates on the sidewalk. Taller or shorter that Sun Bank is a real "who cares" attribute. To me anyway.

After years of having this block as a rat-infested unoccupied dump ... and now it's about to bring residents, cultural activies, and restaurants etc. downtown and some still say "it sucks." That's just insane.

Edited by cwetteland

Guys, you are totally right. Just the other day, I realized the "wall" of bldgs. being extended from City Hall north; a very nice effect.

As for the height issue, my take now is simply that Solaire is ORL's 357' representative. nothing more. Shoot, I'm impressed with Star Tower; Solaire is even bigger.

I look at this project (PTP) like I do the State of Illinois Center next to Daley Plaza. takes up the whole block but virtually invisible in the skyline b/c its only 20 or so stories.

Here at least, this project is very visible.

Edited by JRS1

It sucks that so much emphasis is put on how buildings look from a mile or two away. Urbanism is experienced on the sidewalk. Let it get built and occupied and then judge it by the vigor that residents bring to downtown and by what the movie theater traffic and restaurant traffic it generates on the sidewalk. Taller or shorter that Sun Bank is a real "who cares" attribute. To me anyway.

After years of having this block as a rat-infested unoccupied dump ... and now it's about to bring residents, cultural activies, and restaurants etc. downtown and some still say "it sucks." That's just insane.

Im all for the "ground level urbanity" but none of these projects are done yet so all i can admire and comment on is the architecure and appearance, as soon as these projects open up im going shopping, eating, drinking, and walking, and while im doing all that im sure what is over my head wont matter. These projects do not suck, what sucks is the FAA, and thats not changing anytime soon. But I would love a dense looking skyline and a few taller buildings, but you guys are right in that awesome urban centers and downtowns are great from the ground up, not the other way around.

Sounds like a lot of rationalizing. Previously the chant here was "height!! height!! height!!" & "taller!! taller!! taller!!"

Now that it's become apparent that we still have a short unimpressive skyline, and will have for awhile longer, it's all about street level urbanism and "who cares about the skyline", etc. etc.

I've spoken about street level ambience here before, so the idea is neither new nor foreign to me.

But it is awfully cute how you guys stick together. :rolleyes:

Edited by JFW657

Sounds like a lot of rationalizing. Previously the chant here was "height!! height!! height!!" & "taller!! taller!! taller!!"

Now that it's become apparent that we still have a short unimpressive skyline, and will have for awhile longer, it's all about street level urbanism and "who cares about the skyline", etc. etc.

I've spoken about street level ambience here before, so the idea is neither new nor foreign to me.

But it is awfully cute how you guys stick together. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended you man, you shouldnt take this so seriously! :shok:

I've been on this board for a couple of years and that chant has always come from a minority obsessed few. The main chant has been density and urbanity. This is, after all, urban planet, not skyline looks good on a postcard planet.

for the record, anytime a project is proposed and then scaled back, it pisses me off. just like the original PTP resid. tower to the Solaire; just like the orig. OC Cthse height and the one they built. the list goes on.

So I agree with JFW657. I've still got Chicago in my veins; hard to shake the tall bldg. syndrome.

However, I have "morphed" my way of thinking as of late. as long as it is a good bldg., the height doesn't bother me as much anymore. I love CNL, 801 N., the Westin, etc... The more I look around and see parking lots, the more I say-- just build something there; I don't care what...

The next time a bldg. is proposed and they chop the height, I'll be the first to complain about it. But, I will balance that against getting any form of the proposal built... period. since, nothing is guaranteed anymore (gotta be happy with what we get).

I talk too much.

It is perception vs. reality. Having done the drive from Boston to Orlando half a dozen times in the past 3 years I can say that I always enjoy driving through NYC, Philly, Baltimore, etc. over Wilmington, Providence, even DC. This has nothing to do with urbanity I suppose though I don't necessarily agree that those two things are entirely unrelated.