Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

NoDa had a special bottle release on Saturday, the Monstro, a 11.5% Russian Imperial Stout aged in Old Van Winkle bourbon barrels. Now that sounds like the beer of my dreams so I thought I'd head up there at some point midday to grab a few. Good thing I thought to check facebook before I left. Apparently nobody who got in line later than 7:30am got a bottle (keeping in mind that they open at 10). A lot of people who got there "on time" are understandably upset but it says a lot about the buzz that NoDa is generating. Some serious beer nerds even came in from out of state to get it. I just hope they make more next time or let each person take less!

I was interested in going until I saw that they were allowing purchases up to a full case of bottles. At that point I knew it was a waste of my time. 

Yeah they were doing a lot of damage control on facebook admitting their mistake there, but wanting to stick to their initial promise. They also opened a bit earlier than advertised to let people out of the rain. 

anybody make it to Sycamore yesterday? I would love to hear how the beer was (particularly the ESB).

I went there with some friends before the Hornets game yesterday. As expected, the place was slammed. The brewery itself was pretty awesome I thought (though OMB has raised the bar). They have a lot of outdoor space that I see being heavily used during the warmer parts of the year. I had the IPA and Stout which were pretty good. Those are my two favorite types of beer so it's what I lean towards. Didn't have the ESB so I can't comment on it (nobody in my group did though). Definitely heading back to get a better feel for the brewery and their other brews. 

anybody make it to Sycamore yesterday? I would love to hear how the beer was (particularly the ESB).

I walked 45 minutes or so over there to relive boredom today. There was no crowd at all. Stupid me, but it's weird to have a grand opening Saturday then be closed Sunday.

Also walked over to the rugby facility so I'd know where it was for the tournament next weekend. A decent looking place.

I was happy to find serviceable sidewalks the entire way from uptown.

I walked 45 minutes or so over there to relive boredom today. There was no crowd at all. Stupid me, but it's weird to have a grand opening Saturday then be closed Sunday.

Also walked over to the rugby facility so I'd know where it was for the tournament next weekend. A decent looking place.

I was happy to find serviceable sidewalks the entire way from uptown.

For future reference, you might want to check their Facebook and/or Twitter accounts. They post that sort of stuff on there. They'll have regular hours starting on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/SycamoreBrewing

https://www.facebook.com/SycamoreBrewing

Commenting on the above topics:

NoDa - We got there at 1pm Saturday and they still had the BBA Monstro on tap ($5 for 8oz).  It was delicious.  I heard some people saying that the line for bottles started forming at 4am. In that weather. Wow.  I hadn't heard about the case-limit scandal until reading it here.  Interesting.  Anybody know the per-bottle price?  It was good, but not standing-in-line-for-a-bottle-or-even-a-case-at-6am-to-pay-large-dollars-in-that-weather good.  Oh, and the taproom was jam packed.  Only two guys working the bar, with a 3rd rounding up glasses.  Took forever to get a beer.  They need more people working.  Or a 2nd taproom.  Or both.

Sycamore - Photos show that they were pouring 5 of their beers (including a one-time only IPA), plus beers from Unknown, Triple C, and Lenny Boy.  No indication of flights, but I assume (hope) they will have and maybe just didn't for the Grand Opening.  They also had wine (Prosecco, Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Cab), but $10 a glass.  Their web page says that they have "five all new beers that are just about ready"!  It is indeed odd that they weren't more clear (in advance) about not being open until Wed.

Sugar Creek - My impression of the Pale is not at all what kermit describes above -- I found it quite hoppy and similar to Jam Session as go_vertical noted.  I didn't think it was the best or most balanced Pale in the world, but it seemed pretty drinkable if you don't like their other stuff.  I definitely liked their Dubbel the best.  The Saison was good but had a harsh ending that was unexpected.  The Wit was fine.

Quick-ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Sugar Creek - My impression of the Pale is not at all what kermit describes above -- I found it quite hoppy and similar to Jam Session as go_vertical noted.  I didn't think it was the best or most balanced Pale in the world, but it seemed pretty drinkable if you don't like their other stuff.  I definitely liked their Dubbel the best.  The Saison was good but had a harsh ending that was unexpected.  The Wit was fine.

Excellent, this is why I asked. I trust yall's judgement more than mine. I'll give it another shot.

I was at Sycamore on Saturday and had the Opening Day IPA. I'm not an IPA snob but I really liked it. Hoppy but not so much that it was bitter, and had a pretty deep taste. I think the alcohol content was 7.something, I remember it being the highest of what they had on tap.

The brewery itself is really nice and the outdoor area looks like it'll get a lot of use in decent weather. Doesn't seem like they're serving food the way OMB is.

Anybody really familiar with the alcohol/restaurant/bar laws in Charlotte and NC?  If you wanted to open a bar in Charlotte and you only wanted to serve beer -- is there anything stopping you?  It seems like you used to have to either serve food or be a "club" (charge a membership).  For "clubs" I'm thinking of places like Matthews Ale House in Matthews and Limerick's in Pineville.

But now you've got places like Tank's Tap and Carolina Beer Temple and others that serve pints and have no food at all.  Maybe I was wrong about the food/clubs?  Or maybe something changed?

Just got this email:

VBGB and Triple C Brewing have collaborated on a new "house" beer that goes on tap tomorrow at 4 pm. In the first 10 days of its life, guests of VBGB will have the chance to sample and name the beer; one lucky guest will win a $300 party on the house!

Not really a beer drinker, but wanted to pass the info.

Anybody really familiar with the alcohol/restaurant/bar laws in Charlotte and NC?  If you wanted to open a bar in Charlotte and you only wanted to serve beer -- is there anything stopping you?  It seems like you used to have to either serve food or be a "club" (charge a membership).  For "clubs" I'm thinking of places like Matthews Ale House in Matthews and Limerick's in Pineville.

But now you've got places like Tank's Tap and Carolina Beer Temple and others that serve pints and have no food at all.  Maybe I was wrong about the food/clubs?  Or maybe something changed?

I think WOB gets around the rule by having premade sandwiches in a minifridge that you can technically buy. 

Beer and wine sales only are fine without any food sales. You can't sell liquor / cocktails without having 20% (25%?) of your total sales be food, unless you are a 'private' club.

Edited by kermit

I don't frequent the Plaza-Midwood thread, so I missed the bizjournal article the day after we talked about Legion Brewing here, along with other news.  Interior demo at Brodt's has begun, the 2 buildings in the next lot west are being demolished for parking, and the owner is saying a 2015 opening, possibly as early as Spring (which we all know means Summer or Fall at the earliest).

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/legion-brewing-signs-lease-in-plaza-midwood-plans.html

Looks like the new location for NoDa Brewery will be at 2921 N TRYON ST. Presubmittal was scheduled. As I noted in an earlier post, they plan to keep the current taproom open, but the new location will also have a taproom and rooftop deck with city views. 

and with the tap room (and rooftop deck) announcement the gentrification of North Tryon has officially begun.

How much of N. Tryon could realistically see gentrification? Uptown to Sugar Creek? I can't imagine the areas past Sugar Creek seeing any real investment for quite a long time.

Seems like between Matheson and Craighead would be the most likely. The Sugar Creek area is entirely dependent upon what happens to Asian Corners. The homeless shelter at the Seaboard station has really gotta go for anything South of Matheson to get moving I think. A bridge over the rail yard would really help the area between Matheson and 16th.

I agree, nothing is likely North of Sugar Creek.