Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Eleven unit condo building planned for Long in West End Park. I love the Neo-Traditional design for this one.

Ditto.    You will get better design with condos than with apartments.    Love the ironwork.  

"To offer a concrete shell and to be clad in white painted brick, The Robertson will feature a rooftop swimming pool, below-grade secured parking, an oversized elevator, high-end soundproofing, wrought iron balconies and a limestone entrance flanked by hand-made copper lanterns."

8 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Bosco's / Sam's buildings in Hillsboro Village under contract.  Buyer not disclosed.   This one has me worried about the future of those buildings, particularly Bosco's. 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/2/village_buildings_once_home_to_boscos_sams_under_contract

Tear the buildings down and do what they did next door. Please! Would liven up the area even more and add residents.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paramount747 said:

No more destruction in Hillsboro Village. We have very little vintage building stock left! I don't see this when I go to the West Village in Manhattan. The record stores, cafes, and my favorite Jazz Club, Smalls, have been in the same buildings for 100 years. Enough! If the building is dilapidated, or it's a surface lot, go ahead and re-develope the property, but if the vintage building stock is safe and sound, leave it alone!

One may not notice but vintage brick and stone buildings from 1870-1950's have a mixture of bricks and brick sizes because they utilized EVERY brick, so each and every square foot is different,  and each internal wall is different thus adding character to the building. Starting in the 1960's when we mass produced bricks to equal and uniform size and color, (for the exploding cookie cutter suburban houses) all brick walls started looking the same. Prior to 1960 bricks were recycled and reused. Builders used every back they could to save money and waste. Look at vintage brick buildings in Europe post WW2. They recycled every stone and brick they could.

The masonry between the bricks were artistic as well with patterns, different grains of sand and pebbles, and different thickness depending on the load bearing of the wall.

Nashville's vintage brick and masonry buildings have that same form and character.

Let's try to keep as much of out pre 1960 brick as we can.

This building is a mix of both a huge underutilized surface lot and a dilapidated building.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

And help destroy what little remains of the neighborhood's charm.  Please!

I'm not taking sides here.  I will say that over the last 40 years, they have eaten up most of the commercial village-related area that could have been original charm.

Even back then, after it already had attacked many homes west of 21st, following the wait for withering widows to finally die off and to condemn the vacated properties, Vandy started the chomping down of the area south of Capers Ave. along 21st, including Allegro's Pizza and HG.Hills supermarket, which left standing the Sportsman's Grill (and which used to house Snooker and Snooker Billiards upstairs as I recall),  I can't recall what had been at the site of the present Village at Vanderbilt, at what remains of Pierce Ave. since I hadn't been in town during that early transition period. Then they started eating away south of Wedgewood/Blakemore to the point that not a whole lot remains that had been storefront retail.  I also do realize that many parts of the structures themselves had, or even have, incurred frequently concealed deterioration damage, which in itself, does not necessarily render them absolutely condemnable, except by owners' discretion.  Let alone the north corners of 21st and Wedgewood/Blakemore, many of us don't recall the old structures on the south corners, before the reconstitution of the credit union and the building housing what once had been Barrymore's and the orig. Pancake Pantry back even before the early-mid '60s, when the area as a whole had been a "Li'l downtown".

Other than the Belcourt Theater, and the few storefronts that have transcended the evolution of a half century,, it's almost hard for me to care about what remains of age anymore, since it's mostly gone anyway, even if I would have preferred otherwise, had not so much been removed.
-==-

Rookzie, when did the Wedgewood-31st Avenue "connector" get built?  I saw a map recently (maybe posted here) from the 1960s, and the roads were not connected.  Don't remember why, but I concluded it was finished around early-mid 1970s.

Regarding the story William Williams posted in the NP about Richland Hall, I don't want to steal his thunder, but when it comes off paywall, there is a website and map. Site plan shows about 47 residential units spread out along West End and Richland. No renderings yet. 

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Rookzie, when did the Wedgewood-31st Avenue "connector" get built?  I saw a map recently (maybe posted here) from the 1960s, and the roads were not connected.  Don't remember why, but I concluded it was finished around early-mid 1970s.

Regarding the story William Williams posted in the NP about Richland Hall, I don't want to steal his thunder, but when it comes off paywall, there is a website and map. Site plan shows about 47 residential units spread out along West End and Richland. No renderings yet. 

I can't recall specifically, but I agree that it probably was around the early-to-mid '70s.  I had been away from the region from '69 to around '73, before being away for a much longer period starting in 1980, and as I barely recall, the alignment had been in place upon my return in '73.  All appears to have been undertaken in stages, from the RR underpass east of Lindell Ave and Wedgewood to 31st Ave., and along this entire span roadways either were closed (e.g. Acklen, 18th - 20th Avenues), realigned (e.g. Acklen Ave.), and even made as new alignments (Magnolia Blvd.), in some cases, literally wreaking havoc on the south grid.
-==-

• Like 1

Noshville Deli on Broadway to close on Dec. 27th after 19 years. Still unclear if they might reopen as part of the first-floor offerings inside the new Ardavan Afrakhteh/Land Development.com 25-story tower is built on the land.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2015/12/07/midtown-noshville-close-after-19-years/76933098/

I eat there all the time. Heard that the sale contract did not guarantee a spot in the final project for a Noshville location and that it is unlikely there will be a spot. Some of the staff are under the impression that the midtown location will not be reopening. Selfishly, I hate this bc I've got find a new place to get my eggs!

MBA's biggest weakness is the landlocked location of its campus. 

Headmaster Gioia and MBA have been in talks with the Vine Street congregation for over a decade. The Congregation is seeking to downsize and capitalize on the substantial appreciation the property has experienced since 1957. MBA already owns several of the homes bordering the church's property on the SW property line. 

I have also heard that MBA's land on 42nd Ave. may be a part of any deal.

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Elmington Group has contract for former Bosco's and Sam' Place buildings in Hillsboro Village.  No announcement on intentions yet...

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/9/elmington_has_village_building_once_home_to_boscos_under_contract

These guys are definitely making some investments in the city.  Will be interesting to see if they can pull off all they have planned (especially the Demonbreun Hill development).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

Elmington Group has contract for former Bosco's and Sam' Place buildings in Hillsboro Village.  No announcement on intentions yet...

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/9/elmington_has_village_building_once_home_to_boscos_under_contract

I just hope they don't get torn down. In my opinion, those two buildings, especially Bosco's, are integral to the fabric of Hillsboro Village. Losing them would be tragic.

• Like 2

^ ^ ^  I agree about Bosco's.  But the Sam's Place building has been so ripped-up over the decades with huge holes in the front facade, etc., that there really isn't anything worth saving at this point from a historical perspective.  That being said, I would like for both to be kept and repurposed.  Maybe there will be a parking garage built in the back. There are times when extra parking is sorely needed for Hillsboro Village, and with all the new development going on in/around the neighborhood, that demand will only increase.

I have long contended that the Belcourt Theater should construct a garage (preferably with a retail/restaurant element activating the street level facing Belcourt Ave.) in their large parking lot.  Unfortunately, my recommendations to them for that have fallen on deaf ears as part of their current expansion/remodeling plans. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2015 at 10:45 AM, markhollin said:

Sale looms for another Midtown site zoned for a 20 story building (821, 823, 825, and 827 19th Ave. South).  This 3/4 acre site is next to where M Residences will be located.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/10/sales_looms_for_midtown_site_suitable_for_large_scale_development

821-827 19th Ave. South.png

dang it, there goes more free parking!

• Like 1