Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

he said he is okay with keeping it as it is "for now"....never did he close the door on doing something else with the property. said he knew how hot the area was.

Yes, at some point an offer will come that cannot be turned down.  The owner now has the flexibility to move on it.     

I did have to chuckle at Trabue's description of his lot in NBJ, "It has the feeling of Times Square, doesn't it?"     Uh, no.   

• Like 2

Yes, at some point an offer will come that cannot be turned down.  The owner now has the flexibility to move on it.     

I did have to chuckle at Trabue's description of his lot in NBJ, "It has the feeling of Times Square, doesn't it?"     Uh, no.   

But it COULD have the feeling of Times Square one day in the future if the right developer buys the land. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And another letdown...

B9316215945Z.1_20150211170959_000_G7B9UA

Going in the newly vacant lot  across from the just finished Renasant Bank on West End per the Tennessean...

Drove by this today.    Still rising, but from behind the construction fence it appears larger and closer to the street (West End) than I was expecting from the rendering.   It may still end up looking like a suburban mall drive through branch, but I'm holding out hope that there was a design change to give it a more urban street presence.          

Drove by this today.    Still rising, but from behind the construction fence it appears larger and closer to the street (West End) than I was expecting from the rendering.   It may still end up looking like a suburban mall drive through branch, but I'm holding out hope that there was a design change to give it a more urban street presence.          

You had to remind me that existed...

• Like 1

The one going up on West End looks like either pre-cast concrete or natural stone.    It's not unattractive.   Unless they paint it.  

Yes I was driven past it today, on the way to the doctor, but I couldn't make out in the rain the composition of the panels already in place over the insulating sheathing.  With their more drab-grey color (for lack of better terms), the panels do appear to be something more dense and heavier than stucco.  They still seem no match for the materials and styling of the splendid limestone (cast or otherwise) and glass Renasant Bank, which has a somewhat simplified Frank-Lloyd-Wright contemporary style (in a manner similar to the First Tennessee Bank in the 3000 block of West End).  Indeed, it is built much closer to the roadway than I had anticipated. -==-

• Like 2

Agreed!  The Firstbank trademark look is just dated. Whether it's stucco (looks like it in the drawings) or precast, it looks cheap and very 1980s, especially the smooth, oversized faux cornices. That's a motif that (to me) just screams "classy on the cheap".

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

The Renasant Bank is the only structure at the West End & 19th Ave intersection that is truly urban in design.  The AT&T store is an ever slightly more urban design of their suburban stores, the FirstBank building is going to be the same, and the Courtyard Hotel's most prominent feature is a drive-through porte cochere that faces West End and 19th Ave. Getting rid of the AT&T building would be the biggest gain, but it may be 10-20 years before that becomes a reality.

• Like 2

Love the way the Renasant addresses the street and the open design.     Agree with all the comments about FirstBank with respect to the rendering.     What I couldn't tell from my drive-by in the rain yesterday is whether the thing coming out of the ground is the same rendering or a redesign.   If I'm the FirstBank board, when I saw the Renasant open across the street, my reaction is our design looks like Bank of Podunk in comparison and we need a do-over.     

• Like 1

All sounds like good ideas to me. A simple widening of the sidewalks and installation of pedestrian crossing indicators at all controlled intersections would go a long way to helping it (every time I run through there, I find myself dodging traffic at intersections). A simple signed history walking tour would be an easy and cheap way to get foot traffic up and down it, though I could see pressure from the tour groups against that since every person that does a self guided walking tour is one less person on their bus.

Artisan on 18th going for $35.2 million.... So anyone here remember what this project cost to build?  Seems a bit low from what I expected. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2015/10/28/music-rows-artisan-18th-apartments-sold-352m/74753282/

Land + Construction cost around $20 mm per the article.

A little birdy told me another Apt Complex in Mid-Town is about to sale for a record price.  

• Like 1