Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

Developer pursues grocery store for $100M Midtown project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/08/developer-pursues-grocery-store-for-100m-midtown.html

From the Article:

It's a prime spot for just about any retailer. Vandy employs the equivalent of 23,000 full-time workers -- which makes the school the largest employer in the Nashville metro area, according to Nashville Business Journal Research. Vandy's enrollment is about 12,800 students.

Buckingham can offer 18,000 square feet of space for a potential grocer. Travis said that falls short of most urban grocery stores, which tend to be about 6,000 square feet larger.

In My opinion, midtown is long overdue for an urban grocery store....especially with the numbers Vandy (the school and hospital) has with workers, students, and visitors.

It will be interesting to see if 18k sq ft is going to work.

• Like 1

Developer pursues grocery store for $100M Midtown project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/08/developer-pursues-grocery-store-for-100m-midtown.html

From the Article:

It's a prime spot for just about any retailer. Vandy employs the equivalent of 23,000 full-time workers -- which makes the school the largest employer in the Nashville metro area, according to Nashville Business Journal Research. Vandy's enrollment is about 12,800 students.

Buckingham can offer 18,000 square feet of space for a potential grocer. Travis said that falls short of most urban grocery stores, which tend to be about 6,000 square feet larger.

In My opinion, midtown is long overdue for an urban grocery store....especially with the numbers Vandy (the school and hospital) has with workers, students, and visitors.

It will be interesting to see if 18k sq ft is going to work.

Yes!  Definately needs to be a grocery store within walking distance of Vanderbilt.  That Piggly Wiggly on West End doesn't count.  

Edited by Bezoar

We're definitely due for another Trader Joe's. I think they are waiting until we get our wine laws sorted out. Per Wikipedia, most Trader Joe's locations average between 8,000 and 12,000 sq ft. The one in Green Hills is 14,000 sq ft. Maybe we can get a second and larger one in Midtown too. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 2

I was at TJ's on Saturday afternoon. It was a madhouse. 

We definitely need another one...but my only issue is that both of those would be on the same side of town (essentially the same street).

If TJ's wants to expand their customer base, I would think putting one on the east side....maybe lower Gallatin Rd, would be better. Of course, I guess the best argument for the Buckingham location would be that what it carries would be perfect for most college kids, who probably aren't going to need a full produce or meat dept, but love beer and snacks. :lol:

Of course, they may expand to add multiple locations once the alcohol law changes go into effect. Both Charlotte and Austin (yes, they are a little bigger) have 3. Raleigh-Durham has 3. Columbus and Indy each have 2. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that they add two at more or less the same time. 

• Like 1

East Side all the way!  We already have the location options selected.

As to the college comment, some of the less well known East Nashville neighborhoods are now giant dormitories for Belmont the way we used to be for NADC.  Because even the Belmont parents can't afford Belmont-Hillsboro rents.  Before long, they won't be able to afford East Nashville rents, either.

Edited by bwithers1

I like the thought of Trader Joe's there. We like TJ's, but my wife refuses to go there because it is always so packed and crazy inside.

The one critical piece that Midtown is missing is a grocery store. If someone can add a grocery store there it will really make this a neighborhood that is truly walkable. I think the demand is there as well. If you add up all of the residential projects that are either under construction or proposed along Music Row, Demonbreun and Division and you get a pretty remarkable number of people inflicting into the neighborhood in the next 2-3 years. I did the math recently on the Music Row UDO and there are currently 1593 unit sand 240 hotel rooms under construction or proposed. Add to that the Buckingham, Lennar multifamily, Artisan on 18th, and the Forestar group apartments and that number increases by 180 hotel rooms and 1033 rental units for a total of 420 hotel rooms and 2626 residential units. Within a 5-10 minute walk of Buckingham (or as short as an elevator ride) there will be around 4000 new residents and an additional 500 or so tourists/travelers that will need access to a grocery store. Of course that's not counting all of the people living in existing homes/structures within walking distance or the Vandy students and employees or the countless employees along West End and Music Row.

They moved somewhere. The large campus is abandoned and all the property is for sale.

NADC is now called Lincoln College of Technology and is still at the Gallatin Pike location.  Perhaps the previous post meant to refer to the Free Will Baptist Bible College (now called Welch College) property on West End Ave?  I believe they are still at the West End location but have the property on the market with plans to move out of the city once they have sold their very valuable real estate.

http://www.welch.edu/

Edited by donNdonelson2

NADC is now called Lincoln College of Technology and is still at the Gallatin Pike location.  Perhaps the previous post meant to refer to the Free Will Baptist Bible College (now called Welch College) property on West End Ave?  I believe they are still at the West End location but have the property on the market with plans to move out of the city once they have sold their very valuable real estate.

http://www.welch.edu/

Nope, drove by the NADC campus on Sunday, and there were for sale signs in several locations. Someone had mentiond an apartment block going there as well.

There are for sale signs on the small parcels at the corner of Gallatin & Douglas, but I believe the school is still fully operational. I've seen students in and out of the classrooms and they are still living in the dorms off of Douglas.

I don't know what plans they may or may not have, but I can tell you that (as of this morning) it's certainly not "abandoned".

That's great news! Although, by "construction" I'm guessing they mean "demolition" as there are still several buildings standing in the way.

Side note. I was driving down 21st yesterday. School is back, so there are student everywhere. This project (having the sidewalk blocked) is a major barrier for all of those students, especially to get down to the bars on Demonbreun. I'm not implying anything in particular and don't think we need to make it easier for them to get to the bars. Just pointing it out. It would probably be a good idea to put flashing lights at the crosswalks in that area.

Edited by nashvillwill

Demo equipment and personnel on site this morning.

That's great news! Although, by "construction" I'm guessing they mean "demolition" as there are still several buildings standing in the way.

Side note. I was driving down 21st yesterday. School is back, so there are student everywhere. This project (having the sidewalk blocked) is a major barrier for all of those students, especially to get down to the bars on Demonbreun. I'm not implying anything in particular and don't think we need to make it easier for them to get to the bars. Just pointing it out. It would probably be a good idea to put flashing lights at the crosswalks in that area.

There are flashing lights already at the crosswalk on Broadway at 20th; all other crosswalks on 21st are at traffic signals; except the 2 across from the law  school which are marked by yield signs in the lanes of traffic.  What crosswalk are you talking about?