Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

I hope they don't "fix" that intersection too much.  I may be in the minority but I want this area to feel congested.  I'm talking about Division from the naked people down to the Y intersection with Broadway, and the blocks around. Not only one of the few areas in town that is starting to have a genuine urban "enclosed street" feel, but this is the kind of area where cars need to slow down, there are a million pedestrians, sometimes impaired by adult beverages, and more pedestrians on the way soon, it's not a place to look at the streets in terms of "how many cars can we rush thru here?"

Cities should be a mix of open spaces and dense, enclosed ones, and we are definitely lacking in the latter (except for a few blocks around Church & Union).

• Like 3

The existing intersection is a cluster foulup. It requires the driver to look over his/her right shoulder to make a left turn off of north 21st into a heavily traveled road (Broadway/Division) which is a difficult and dangerous maneuver to pull off. It is dangerous for pedestrians also. 

21stDivisionpresentroads.jpg

The proposed layout is a tremendous improvement for traffic and pedestrians, except for the northbound right turn, I would put that under signal control also.

21stDivisionproposedtraffic.jpg

And roundabouts, while increasing intersection safety for vehicles (eliminates right-angle crashes), they are a big step backwards for pedestrian safety, which should be the primary concern here. Pedestrians are especially at risk at night where the crossings are not directly in the area of the intersection and people cannot be seen well.

• Like 4

Mike Rankin, the president of Crain Construction (the GC for this project) was quoted in the NBJ back in February that by the end of May they would have utility work underway that is necessary for the Buckingham to get started.  So if you're seeing fencing around the site, that would be in line with what Rankin said.

The fencing has been there for several months - at least around the former Nick and Rudy's, and Wendy's.  Still no fencing around the parking lot for South Street/Giovanni's/Bound'ry.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, they have been told that they will be given 60 days notice before they loose their parking lot, and thus far, no notice has been given.  FWIW, my contact with the developer hasn't returned recent emails.

The fencing has been there for several months - at least around the former Nick and Rudy's, and Wendy's.  Still no fencing around the parking lot for South Street/Giovanni's/Bound'ry.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, they have been told that they will be given 60 days notice before they loose their parking lot, and thus far, no notice has been given.  FWIW, my contact with the developer hasn't returned recent emails.

I think maybe someone may have forgotten to give them the sixty day notice. I talked to the folks over at Ken's just two months ago and they said they were told three months notice and in less than two months they are closed. There is new utility marking on the side street off of Division. I think it's about to start soon. I may even know something. Big smile.

• Like 3

I think maybe someone may have forgotten to give them the sixty day notice. I talked to the folks over at Ken's just two months ago and they said they were told three months notice and in less than two months they are closed. There is new utility marking on the side street off of Division. I think it's about to start soon. I may even know something. Big smile.

I hate when you do that.  But also, I love it.  :thumbsup:

Edited by BnaBreaker

The fencing has been there for several months......

Yeah. Sorry about that false alarm on the fencing. I didn't know it had been up for months. I saw some guys putting a section up (perhaps they were just moving it) and I assumed it was new. You know......since it was June 1st and all.

There were folks at the site today including at least one person sporting Crane construction wear.

The have also been in a couple of the buildings as well as Ken moving his equipment out. I will say we are getting very close.

Going to be interesting in this area. Buckingham under construction as well as the Virgin hotel, the SESAC building on 16th. That one will be 90,000 s.f. I also understand that the folks at the location of the Lenar project at 19th & Chet Atkins have to be out within the year.

No update on the Phoenix properties project that I can find at the corner of 17th & McGavock. The Crescent Blubird project will start sometime in September. That one is on Division and as far as I know the Music City Flats project is moving forward on 17th & Grand.

And then there is also 1505 and 1515 under construction and I have also heard of two other projects in the area. Got to be mum about those.

• Like 1

Thanks.  And, you're correct that Midtown and the Row will be quite the hive of activity if all of these projects begin.  When we had a presentation by the Lenar folks, the concern was traffic, traffic, traffic.  I hope that Metro has reviewed the traffic studies in the aggregate, and not as stand alone projects. 

Thanks.  And, you're correct that Midtown and the Row will be quite the hive of activity if all of these projects begin.  When we had a presentation by the Lenar folks, the concern was traffic, traffic, traffic.  I hope that Metro has reviewed the traffic studies in the aggregate, and not as stand alone projects. 

Unfortunately, I think that Public Works reviews traffic studies for projects as stand-alone items and not as an aggregate.  That tendency may partially explain the disconnect between neighbors and Public Works with regard to traffic concerns about development applications.  I believe that for residential projects the cut-off for traffic study requirements is 100 units.  But if you get two 60-unit projects on the same street, which is 120 units, no traffic study is required.

Some equipment on site as well as concrete barriers. Power lines were coming down too.

Walked by here over lunch.  Noticed that Ken's was also finally closed down and moving their stuff out.    

• Like 2