GSP International

gvillenative

I am shocked that there are flights from Boston to Charleston and Myrtle Beach and not Greenville. We need to get with it! :blink:

At first glance, Delta 5117 and Delta 5254 are both service between BOS and CHS. Spirit Air flies between BOS and MYR year round, and Delta has summer service.

What gets me is that Greenville being the economic powerhouse it is, why we have an airport that lags behind every other airport in the state of SC. Admittedly, it's gotten better with the new cafe in the concourse that I used for the first time last week when I flew through, but the lack of retail, and the lack of a walkway between concourses within the secure area just gets me. And the fact that both Delta, Northwest, and USAir still don't use jetways on the CRJ/ERJ really irritates me when I fly through. I'm sure that gsupstate knows what I'm talking about with walking out to the plane when it's pouring rain outside. And when you look over at the US Airways gates, it looks like a Charlie Foxtrot with planes parked wherever and service vehicles in the same manner. It doesn't exactly give the greatest first impression to a business traveler that's been told great things about this area. I'm sure that there are people that want the place to succeed, but there is an old school faction that keeps dragging their feet when it comes to amenities. I know I'm ranting here, but please give input on this, I don't want to be the only one who thinks this of GSP. I want to hear opinions.

At first glance, Delta 5117 and Delta 5254 are both service between BOS and CHS. Spirit Air flies between BOS and MYR year round, and Delta has summer service.

What gets me is that Greenville being the economic powerhouse it is, why we have an airport that lags behind every other airport in the state of SC. Admittedly, it's gotten better with the new cafe in the concourse that I used for the first time last week when I flew through, but the lack of retail, and the lack of a walkway between concourses within the secure area just gets me. And the fact that both Delta, Northwest, and USAir still don't use jetways on the CRJ/ERJ really irritates me when I fly through. I'm sure that gsupstate knows what I'm talking about with walking out to the plane when it's pouring rain outside. And when you look over at the US Airways gates, it looks like a Charlie Foxtrot with planes parked wherever and service vehicles in the same manner. It doesn't exactly give the greatest first impression to a business traveler that's been told great things about this area. I'm sure that there are people that want the place to succeed, but there is an old school faction that keeps dragging their feet when it comes to amenities. I know I'm ranting here, but please give input on this, I don't want to be the only one who thinks this of GSP. I want to hear opinions.

I don't think GSP lags behind other airports in SC. Last time I checked, we are the busiest airport in SC. I doubt the other two have as many daily flights or as many destinations as GSP, but I have not checked on that in quite some time.

I have no direct experience with Columbia's airport, but I was very unimpressed with Charleston's when I picked up a friend who had flown into town. It felt old and small to me. They were doing some construction, which might help, but their amenities (food, walkways) were not as good as GSP's. I cannot comment on the staff or flight amenities, since I was not flying myself.

GSP is wonderful when it comes to access. It's very easy to get in and out. The new interchange with I-85 was a good move. Employees seem pleasant for the most part. The inside is attractive, and the background music is a nice touch. Access and environment are very important, and I think GSP does great on both counts.

I agree that a weakness of GSP is its lack of retail and food beyond the security checkpoints. The frustrating thing was when they had the beverage cart that never seemed to be open. I was flying out of GSP mid-afternoon one time, and since I was thirsty I walked over to get something to drink. The lady at the counter looked at me funny when I asked if they were open, and replied, "We will re-open at 6:00 AM in the morning." :wacko: I knew then that they were clueless in their business model. And this was the only place to get anything to eat or drink past the security checkpoint. Very poor planning.

I also don't understand why the jetways sometimes aren't used. They always seem to use them when boarding, so why not also use them for all arriving flights? Especially since people arriving are either locals who are tired or visitors who are judging Greenville from that point forward.

The next step is getting a low-cost carrier. As the metro area grows, I hope GSP International will look to Tampa-St. Pete airport as a model. That is probably my favorite airport. It's impressive from start to finish. Very clean, organized, with plenty of retail and food beyond security. The tram is great too. :thumbsup:

I don't think GSP lags behind other airports in SC. Last time I checked, we are the busiest airport in SC. I doubt the other two have as many daily flights or as many destinations as GSP, but I have not checked on that in quite some time.

I have no direct experience with Columbia's airport, but I was very unimpressed with Charleston's when I picked up a friend who had flown into town. It felt old and small to me. They were doing some construction, which might help, but their amenities (food, walkways) were not as good as GSP's. I cannot comment on the staff or flight amenities, since I was not flying myself.

GSP is wonderful when it comes to access. It's very easy to get in and out. The new interchange with I-85 was a good move. Employees seem pleasant for the most part. The inside is attractive, and the background music is a nice touch. Access and environment are very important, and I think GSP does great on both counts.

I agree that a weakness of GSP is its lack of retail and food beyond the security checkpoints. The frustrating thing was when they had the beverage cart that never seemed to be open. I was flying out of GSP mid-afternoon one time, and since I was thirsty I walked over to get something to drink. The lady at the counter looked at me funny when I asked if they were open, and replied, "We will re-open at 6:00 AM in the morning." :wacko: I knew then that they were clueless in their business model. And this was the only place to get anything to eat or drink past the security checkpoint. Very poor planning.

I also don't understand why the jetways sometimes aren't used. They always seem to use them when boarding, so why not also use them for all arriving flights? Especially since people arriving are either locals who are tired or visitors who are judging Greenville from that point forward.

The next step is getting a low-cost carrier. As the metro area grows, I hope GSP International will look to Tampa-St. Pete airport as a model. That is probably my favorite airport. It's impressive from start to finish. Very clean, organized, with plenty of retail and food beyond security. The tram is great too. :thumbsup:

Last year (2005) I flew into GSP from Atlanta on Christmas Eve and had to walk out onto the tarmac in order to board the plane. (So, GSP isn't the only airport to go this route sometimes.) I was returning home from a trip to San Antonio and was surprised that I used a jetway into ATL but not out of ATL? Oh...did I mention that it was around 8pm or so, pitch black outside, somewhere in the low 40s outside, raining, AND that as we (the passengers) boarded the plane in a single-file line in cold, wet misery passengers on the two planes to our right and left sat looking at us from their seats. Yup, we were the only plane forced to the walk of pain!

I fly out GSP almost exclusively....hardly ever drive to Charlotte or Atlanta. Overall, I'm quite fond of GSP, however there are areas that could be improved, IMO.

GSP is the states second busiest in traffic numbers......Charleston slightly beats us out as number one. GSP number two. Myrtle Beach number 3. Columbia number 4 (their numbers are sadly low for a city their size).

Here is where I think GSP could improve:

Food / retail selection in the terminal.

A couple of flights to a more western hub....United to Denver, USAirways to Phoenix or Delta to Salt Lake. Currently, Dallas on American or Houston on Continental are our most western service.

Terminal interior signage. The signing is there, but the color is rather bland. Get an international color for wayfinder signage....blue or international yellow. Have lit gate numbers.

Jetways should be used with all incoming CRJ/ERJ flights so people don't have to walk through the lower level "back areas". As Greenville said, not a good first impression.

Redo the restrooms. While they are clean and neat, the tile and fixtures look dated.

Get a true low fare carrier with multiple flights daily.

Here is what I love about GSP:

Ease of clearing security. The additional lanes at each concourse have been a major plus. :thumbsup:

The outdoor viewing area and gardens. Though I'm rarely out there, as I'm the one flying usually, when I have picked up family and friends, this is such a unique feature.

I actually love boarding CRJ/ERJ's without a jetway (provided weather is sunny) as you can simply drop your bag for gate check and pick up when you land wihout ever messing with baggage claim. As I fly most every week, and most of the time just for an overnighter (thus one small bag), this is a godsend! In bad weather however, jetways should be used.

The size of the ticketing / baggage area, the feel, the openess.

The closeness of parking with the two decks.

The fact that we have such a high percentage of business travel (much higher than the typical airport), means you don't get stuck behind tourist that only fly once every three years and don't know what to do. Chances are, you're around other business travlers, and they "get it".

And finally:

Returning home from a days work, late at night and walking out of the terminal....cool 50 degress.....the trees......the park like setting.........the high country smell in the air......talk about true LOVE!!! :wub::wub:

Last year (2005) I flew into GSP from Atlanta on Christmas Eve and had to walk out onto the tarmac in order to board the plane. (So, GSP isn't the only airport to go this route sometimes.) I was returning home from a trip to San Antonio and was surprised that I used a jetway into ATL but not out of ATL? Oh...did I mention that it was around 8pm or so, pitch black outside, somewhere in the low 40s outside, raining, AND that as we (the passengers) boarded the plane in a single-file line in cold, wet misery passengers on the two planes to our right and left sat looking at us from their seats. Yup, we were the only plane forced to the walk of pain!

The first time I had ever seen them was in 1995 or so at CVG, and then at Manchester, NH Airport, but they had this ground level canopy that could be moved and expanded from the terminal to the plane. ingenious idea. If Greenville is going to be too lazy to use the jetways, then they need to at least invest in those. I know Atlanta Concourse C is undergoing renovations to have those put in, and the older jet bridges removed. I can see why they don't use traditional jet bridges both in ATL and CVG, with the volume, but other airports like Detroit that are hubs still use the bridges on CRJ's. I've actually asked around at GSP about this issue, and the overwhelming response was that (on Delta's ground crew behalf) that DGS can't be bothered to use them, it's just easier for ground boarding for them. Of course, GSP is also the only airport that takes 25-30 minutes to see your luggage from Delta at Baggage Claim on later flights.

The garden area is nice, being able to walk around and check out the planes, etc. I do wish for more competition in the area of low fare carriers and more west coast/western destinations. I guess that I do have it lucky up at Logan, with subway to the airport, and more destinations than I have ever had from GSP, but then, for what it is, GSP isn't the worst, I can think of many worse airports.

I know Atlanta Concourse C is undergoing renovations to have those put in, and the older jet bridges removed. I can see why they don't use traditional jet bridges both in ATL and CVG, with the volume, but other airports like Detroit that are hubs still use the bridges on CRJ's. I've actually asked around at GSP about this issue, and the overwhelming response was that (on Delta's ground crew behalf) that DGS can't be bothered to use them, it's just easier for ground boarding for them. Of course, GSP is also the only airport that takes 25-30 minutes to see your luggage from Delta at Baggage Claim on later flights.

Yeah, unfortunately, the ground crew with Delta at GSP seems really sluggish. "Can't be bothered to use the jetways" sounds typical. :angry:

Just out of curiosity, which cities / destinations would you like to be announced for new service from GSP this year? So far I've actually heard that American is looking at Super 80 service to ORD, and new services from GSP to both MIA and JFK. Just a list of cities and airlines is what I'm looking for.

The fact that we have such a high percentage of business travel (much higher than the typical airport), means you don't get stuck behind tourist that only fly once every three years and don't know what to do. Chances are, you're around other business travlers, and they "get it".

That'll be me next month! Hehe... I've flown a lot since I lived in CA and tried to visit my family often in NC/SC, but I've never flown out of GSP before. I'm hoping it will be easy to get around, and that checkin and such won't be a lot of hassle since this will be the first flight I've ever taken alone.

When I flew in to NC/SC from CA, I'd usually fly to either Charlotte or Atlanta since their prices were consistently about $100-$150 cheaper than flying in to GSP.

I've had flights where I had to walk outside to the plane at LAX, but I think that was because it was one of the very small planes. I actually thought it was fun to walk out to the plane in the middle of the night, but that's just me. :)

Yeah, unfortunately, the ground crew with Delta at GSP seems really sluggish. "Can't be bothered to use the jetways" sounds typical. :angry:

In many cases, you can't use jetbridges for the jets. If you have more than one arrival/departure at any given time, they may all "share" a certain gate within that parking area. For exapmle, here in Nashville we may two Continental Express jets setting on the ramp together. One would be loading, while the other is de-planeing. In that case, it is impossible to use a jetbridge without having to pay rent for a second gate. And let's face it, most airlines don't want to pay rent for another gate, especially if it's CRJ/ERJ traffic for the most part.

Another thing, most newer jetbridges that are capable of being lowered down to the level of a Regional Jet are expensive for a carrier, or a airport, to buy. In many cases, the individual carrier purchases the jetbridge, not the actual airport.

Edited by Lexy

In many cases, you can't use jetbridges for the jets. If you have more than one arrival/departure at any given time, they may all "share" a certain gate within that parking area. For exapmle, here in Nashville we may two Continental Express jets setting on the ramp together. One would be loading, while the other is de-planeing. In that case, it is impossible to use a jetbridge without having to pay rent for a second gate. And let's face it, most airlines don't want to pay rent for another gate, especially if it's CRJ/ERJ traffic for the most part.

Another thing, most newer jetbridges that are capable of being lowered down to the level of a Regional Jet are expensive for a carrier, or a airport, to buy. In many cases, the individual carrier purchases the jetbridge, not the actual airport.

I've never thought about it that way before...thanks! Well, if they're saving money, at least a small amount I would assume, can we please get a small snack for free again? I mean, muffins for $2.50 each come on. Charging those prices should alleviate every airlines financial woes significantly it would seem? Okay, so I'm being moody but just let us have our good ole' bag of trailmix or peanuts back, lol.

Just out of curiosity, which cities / destinations would you like to be announced for new service from GSP this year? So far I've actually heard that American is looking at Super 80 service to ORD, and new services from GSP to both MIA and JFK. Just a list of cities and airlines is what I'm looking for.

Miami would be a very nice addition. American's service to ORD and JFK would duplicate existing destinations from GSP, but if more flights are needed then that is wonderful. I would like to see GSP add the following cities as destinations:

Boston

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

I think there is demand for all three, especially Boston. Vegas would do well, even if it were just one flight per day. I would like to think that there are enough travelers from GSP to justify a non-stop flight to Los Angeles as well. Thoughts?

Miami would be a very nice addition. American's service to ORD and JFK would duplicate existing destinations from GSP, but if more flights are needed then that is wonderful. I would like to see GSP add the following cities as destinations:

Boston

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

I think there is demand for all three, especially Boston. Vegas would do well, even if it were just one flight per day. I would like to think that there are enough travelers from GSP to justify a non-stop flight to Los Angeles as well. Thoughts?

I don't know of a flight from GSP to JFK. I know there are flights to Newark and LaGuardia, but don't know about JFK. To me, the addition of both MIA and JFK would be huge for international travelers. The number of connections that could be made to Europe/Mideast/Asia from JFK and Latin America from MIA is substantial and would give Delta some serious competition for GSP travelers on such routes. Also, another option into ORD can't hurt.

Such a move by American could signal a big push into the GSP market. I work for Fluor and since we moved our HQ's to Dallas in the spring the American flights to/from DFW have been PACKED. We need a larger plane into DFW or move flights per day on the CRJ's.

I agree about the need for a Boston flight - I think it should be priority number one. Also, agree with the need for something to the West - LA sounds as viable as any other.

I don't know of a flight from GSP to JFK. I know there are flights to Newark and LaGuardia, but don't know about JFK. To me, the addition of both MIA and JFK would be huge for international travelers. The number of connections that could be made to Europe/Mideast/Asia from JFK and Latin America from MIA is substantial and would give Delta some serious competition for GSP travelers on such routes. Also, another option into ORD can't hurt.

Such a move by American could signal a big push into the GSP market. I work for Fluor and since we moved our HQ's to Dallas in the spring the American flights to/from DFW have been PACKED. We need a larger plane into DFW or move flights per day on the CRJ's.

I agree about the need for a Boston flight - I think it should be priority number one. Also, agree with the need for something to the West - LA sounds as viable as any other.

Thanks for correcting me about flights into JFK, Greercat. I just checked GSP's flight schedule, and you are right - we currently have flights into LaGuardia and Newark, but not JFK. So I second what you said about that flight being huge for international travelers. And who knows, perhaps an international flight isn't far off for Greenville.

I could see Air Canada Jazz starting service between Toronto Pearson and GSP, along with Montreal. I say this because of US Customs preclearance in the major Canadian airports, prior to even boarding the aircraft. My one question is that with GSP pretty much maxed out on Gate space, what is going to be the next viable option for bringing in more airlines?

I work for Fluor and since we moved our HQ's to Dallas in the spring the American flights to/from DFW have been PACKED. We need a larger plane into DFW or move flights per day on the CRJ's.

I didn't realize Fluor had moved to Dallas. Thought they were still based in California. Thanks for the info. :)

I work for Fluor and since we moved our HQ's to Dallas in the spring the American flights to/from DFW have been PACKED. We need a larger plane into DFW or move flights per day on the CRJ's.

I had completely missed this until gsupstate quoted it. This explains a lot, thanks! Until roughly this past Spring, I was able to get a seat on American to Dallas when flying to COS pretty easily. Now it's next to impossible and I'm forced to jump to Atlanta on Delta to catch a flight to COS from there, which is fine by me since I prefer Delta anyway. Switching planes at DFW was just a nice change of "scenery" for me, so I had opted to do it a couple of times.

I would agree that a larger plane between GSP and DFW would be nice.

How goes GSP as far as the 3oz liquid in a one quart bag rule? I'm trying to get ready for my trip next week, and I'm hoping they don't try to take anything from me. I bought travel sized containers to put the toiletries I already use (shampoo, conditioner, etc.) because I'd rather not buy new items once I get there, nor do I want to use the little cheap shampoos, etc. - I'd rather use my own if I can! :D

Thanks for the link! That is a really interesting article, and the prices quoted do reflect what I've noticed in the past. When I lived in CA, that is the very reason I usually chose to fly in to Charlotte (my parents are near Charlotte anyway) or Atlanta instead. (when you're also renting a car for the week, that extra $100 is nice!) :)

I paid a little extra to fly out of GSP for my trip next weekend since I planned on flying out pretty early, and wanted a direct flight. Honestly, the price really wasn't bad at all.

I don't mind flying in the cheaper seats either, since I'm a rather petite person, ha ha! ;)

Edited by nutkitty