GSP International

gvillenative

Frontier Airlines (low cost carrier with their hub in Denver) is starting a regional jet feeder airline within the airline using 70 seat regional jets. Looks like GSP has been in contact with them, so there could be some interest in there. See the news article below that list GSP.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5086156

Great news, gs! Thanks! I don't think this would result in a direct flight to colorado, though, would it? I could use one, myself...tired of flying into Atlanta and Dallas.

Great news, gs! Thanks! I don't think this would result in a direct flight to colorado, though, would it? I could use one, myself...tired of flying into Atlanta and Dallas.

Since Denver is their only hub, I would think these flights would be nonstop.....they have no other hub. 70 seat regionals are now capable of flights in the same range as any mainline plane. So it's doable. :dontknow:

Here is their current route map of mainline flights and a few regional jet flights that Horizon runs for them.

http://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/f...fo/route-map.do

According to the story in the Denver Post, this is Lynx - Frontier's low cost airline. They will fly Bombardier Q400s, which are new generation turboprops, which carry 70-74 passengers. These planes have the range to make it from GSP to Denver, but their maximum cruise speed is 365 knots - fast for a turboprop, but less than a jet. These planes are supposedly very cost effective, but they would make for a longish trip to Denver.

The hostile takeover of Delta has been shotdown :yahoo: So the fares will remain rediculous and reach SUPER rediculous. On a serious note I dont think the prices are bad enough to make me ever want to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta to catch a flight. I don't care what anybody says neither one is "too close" if anything they are too far. I found 2 tickets from GSP to Corning-Elmira Regional in New York for just under 700 for both. Compare that to 8 years ago I had to pay over 800 for one ticket to Los Angeles.

• 3 weeks later...

Judging by the lack of responses I guess nobody is as excited am I am about the idea of not losing another airline. That in my opinion would have been a serious blow to the airport. Although AirTran has made known the reason they are not at GSP is because of Delta and if they ever left that AirTran would provide service to GSP, how long would it have taken? In that period of time the prices would have gone astronmical, and how long would it take for GSP to rebound even once AirTran came. I'm happy as heck we didn't have to go through that again like when Independence folded. I have to fly once or twice a year, and price is important to me. I'm satisfied with the prices now, most of the time. I'm not going to stand on my "bully pulpit" this time and preach about Atlanta and Charlotte not being too close, but too far, just that everytime I fly it'll be out of GSP.

^^^Well, AirTran just came to Charleston, SC and they use Delta, so you're wrong about Air Tran not coming here because of that. Proof of what I just said: http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/...bDate=2/23/2007 Frontier and Jet Blue are still scheduled to come here later this year also.

Edited by g-man430

People in Charleston are pretty excited about AirTran. It was even mentioned on on the front page of the Post and Courier earlier this week.

Charleston is happy to have a low-cost airline, but they will still have to connect through Atlanta just like they do for most of their flights. When looking for flights to DC recently, I was surprised that there are very few direct flights - and the ones that are direct tend to be quite expensive. We really do take the heavy business travel in Greenville for granted, because we have many direct flights to DC each day (I can think of at least 5 or 6).

Greenville not having an AirTran has to be due to the fact that we are so close to their Atlanta hub. It does not make much sense for them to route all of their flights from GSP to Atlanta. That's what, a 30 minute flight? I am much more excited about JetBlue. Frontier will hopefully open up some direct flights into the Denver area. And who knows, perhaps Allegiant is considering a direct flight from Greenville to Las Vegas.

Honestly, I pretty much don't even search for flights out of GSP anymore, the prices are just outrageous. I'd sooner drive to Atlanta. Maybe if we get a decent low fare airline, it will force the others to lower their prices.

I don't fly that often anymore, but when I do it doesn't seem that GSP is that outrageous. It would have to be significantly higher - at least in my opinion - to justify driving all the way to Charlotte or Atlanta to get on a plane. I agree that we need a low-cost carrier, and hopefully that will come in the form of JetBlue before the year is over.

2 feet of snow they can handle, the JetBlue incident was bad planning on their part.

Yep.....4 days in a row of numerous canceled flights (in the 50% range) due to the fact that pilots and flight attendants were in the wrong locations and couldn't make flights. Bad planning all the way on Jet Blue's part. The silver lining in all this, is that the public is very forgiving.....remember the US Airways "meltdown" a few years back over the Christmas holidays at their Philly hub? Most thought it was death for US Airways. The public forgave and US Airways went on to a healthy life with it's America West merger.

I interviewed for a part time gig at JetBlue today...I'm pleased to announce that they are adding 16 new cities this year. Its covered by an NDA, but I've got some good feelings about this.

Is GSP one of those 16 cities or do you not know? Also, what is NDA?

From what I've understood, they initiate service between the said city, and JFK, and then start service between city and BOS. After that, you might start to see service further west. I can safely assume that MYR is also on the map for service also, speaking of which I have never seen so many commercials for one place in my life more than there. What I really like is that if JB comes to GSP, they will more than likely be flying the A320, which would be one of the, if not the largest plane in regular service at GSP. So just keep your fingers crossed when it comes to getting service, but like I said, we've got a good chance here.