GSP International

gvillenative

Avelo Airlines indefinitely suspends the following routes:

Burbank (BUR) to Colorado Springs (COS)

Orlando (MCO) to Mobile (BFM)

MCO to Greenville (GSP)

Las Vegas (LAS) to Brownsville (BRO)

Wilmington, DE (ILG) to Daytona Beach (DAB)

ILG to Nashville (BNA)

COS and BFM will no longer have any Avelo service. 

At least temporarily suspended:

ILG to Myrtle Beach (MYR)

ILG to Wilmington, NC (ILM)

No word on ILG to GSP, CHS, SAV, or RDU. Maybe those will come back when they finally get their act together. Who knows. I wouldn’t hold my breath though. 

Edited by gman430

Yeesh…

https://www.patreon.com/posts/95172020

Sounds like Avelo and especially Breeze might not be around much longer. Operating losses of almost $9 million and a little over $50 million respectively just in the last quarter. Breeze’s base at CHS is really struggling right now also. CHS-PHX just got cut with them after May 2024.

Edited by gman430

Good article on the massive amounts of money Breeze is losing. Good thing GSP never landed them. They’re going the way of Independence Air. My guess is by this time next year they won’t even exist anymore: 

https://onemileatatime.com/news/breeze-airways-losing-money/

Edited by gman430

5 hours ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

Plus the routes they do are weird too. Hartford, CT to Los Angeles? Charleston to Los Angeles?  Those two are very unnecessary to go out west. No way those flights are full. I can understand the smaller routes (on the East Coast); but the cross country ones are killing them I bet. 

CHS-LAX has already been cut by Breeze and JetBlue. CHS-PHX is being cut in May by Breeze. After that cut, the furthest west Breeze will fly to from CHS is New Orleans. In fact, the only non-stop direct service CHS will have west of Denver after May 2024 is Spirit Airlines to Las Vegas and Alaska Airlines to Seattle. 

Edited by gman430

Avelo schedule is updating. Goes out now until around the middle of June. GSP-HVN increases from two times a week to four times a week starting in May. No sign of ILG though. 

GSP-ORD with United increases from two times a day to three times a day starting March 31st seven days a week. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Apparently, GSP-IAH with United will be increasing from once a day to twice a day starting May 22nd. One mainline 737 and a regional E175. Not bookable yet though. 

The governor is proposing $50 million to expand the state’s commercial airports as part of his budget for the 2024 fiscal year. I’m sure it will all go to Charleston if the legislature supports it: 

https://governor.sc.gov/sites/governor/files/Documents/Executive-Budget/FY2425 Executive Budget Presentation.pdf

Edited by gman430

In addition to MCO, Avelo to ILG permanently cut:

“Routes that are no longer available out of the Wilmington Airport are Savannah, Georgia; Charleston, South Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; and Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina.“

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/money/business/2024/01/05/avelo-new-route-changes-out-of-wilmington-airport-delaware/72106073007/?fbclid=IwAR3u4oa8D0q2gOLT7Pkky6czumC3QJ8Zg7CbCWCZh5xleEvNE1Ll6GqV5kI_aem_AbwX-otyEeej7OUCVS1MORlhURsQ_OJf117bOb0j7X_tcLqMk94NOsua0F-PaRV6v04

They might as well pack up and leave from GSP for good. Nobody would even miss them or notice they’re gone. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

2,563,853 passengers for 2023. 17.18% higher than 2022. 

Only about 48.5k short of 2019.  Next year should break the record with the additions for the spring/summer. Maybe 2.75 next year?

By comparison, CHS had 6.1MM this year

https://charlestoncitypaper.com/2024/01/18/charleston-sees-record-number-of-airport-passengers-in-2023/

Can't find CAE or AVL

Edited by distortedlogic

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Only about 48.5k short of 2019.  Next year should break the record with the additions for the spring/summer. Maybe 2.75 next year?

By comparison, CHS had 6.1MM this year

https://charlestoncitypaper.com/2024/01/18/charleston-sees-record-number-of-airport-passengers-in-2023/

Can't find CAE or AVL

Yep. Tourist airport with no competition. GSP is surrounded by two larger airports and one smaller for extra competition. So this number is probably good considering that.

• Like 2

Has the Qdoba space been filled yet? Whatever happened to the planned hotel along with the proposed project in the link below also? 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/gsp-airport-ponders-70m-podcar-system-to-shuttle-passengers/article_0afbe598-2981-11ed-a62d-d36a431cff03.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah I agree. Was just putting that for comparison,  nothing negative.

Gotcha. I was just making an observation.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Has the Qdoba space been filled yet? Whatever happened to the planned hotel along with the proposed project in the link below also? 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/gsp-airport-ponders-70m-podcar-system-to-shuttle-passengers/article_0afbe598-2981-11ed-a62d-d36a431cff03.html

Regardless of how it goes most of us will be just fine.

Flights up 22.8% and seats up 15.5% for February 2024 compared to February 2023. 

Construction to start on new parking garage in early February 2024. Projected cost of it has dropped from $109,500,000 to $97,000,000. 

Construction to start on FBO expansion, Aviation Parkway lighting, and I-85 decorative entrance signage in Spring 2024. 

Due to intense growth and potentially a new airline expected for 2024, GSP Airport will be adding two new gates with full passenger boarding bridges this year. One gate will be at B5 and one will be between the airside garden and the current A1. Funding for the project is being expedited so it can get done faster. $5.3 million is the total cost. 24 weeks for completion once funding has been approved and allocated.

Ask about an update on the automated shuttle project and you shall receive. Option 1 which is what the commission is looking to possibly approve this month is P3 in the below image. Basically it would run from the terminal to the current cell phone (future premium economy) and employee lots. P1 and P2 are future phases: 

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Flights up 22.8% and seats up 15.5% for February 2024 compared to February 2023. 

Construction to start on new parking garage in early February 2024. Projected cost of it has dropped from $109,500,000 to $97,000,000. 

Construction to start on FBO expansion, Aviation Parkway lighting, and I-85 decorative entrance signage in Spring 2024. 

Due to intense growth and potentially a new airline expected for 2024, GSP Airport will be adding two new gates with full passenger boarding bridges this year. One gate will be at B5 and one will be between the airside garden and the current A1. Funding for the project is being expedited so it can get done faster. $5.3 million is the total cost. 24 weeks for completion once funding has been approved and allocated.

Ask about an update on the automated shuttle project and you shall receive. Option 1 which is what the commission is looking to possibly approve this month is P3 in the below image. Basically it would run from the terminal to the current cell phone (future premium economy) and employee lots. P1 and P2 are future phases: 

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

Rumblings the new airline announcement could be early next week.  Haven't heard who though.  Let the speculation begin....

2 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Rumblings the new airline announcement could be early next week.  Haven't heard who though.  Let the speculation begin....

That would make sense with the airport moving fast on adding two new gates. The airport commission meeting is Monday so the announcement might come then. Hopefully it’s somebody that will fly more than twice a week. JetBlue to Boston or Air Canada to Toronto is my hope but my guess would be either Sun Country, Breeze or the return of Frontier. No offense but please don’t let it be Spirit or Contour. Whoever it is, hopefully they actually give the market a chance to mature before dropping routes left and right. I’m looking at you Avelo. 

Edited by gman430