GSP International

gvillenative

8 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure it’s going to be Breeze. It’s obviously not Air Canada with five new destinations and JetBlue is struggling right now: 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/19/jetblue-to-cut-some-routes-after-judge-bars-spirit-purchase.html

And Alaska doesn’t really have a big enough network on the East coast to warrant coming to GSP. Everybody else that isn’t already at GSP is like Breeze and only flies twice a week on average. 

I agree. It's got to be either Breeze or Frontier coming back but I think Breeze makes the most since. 5 destinations is a good bump and I really hope people will support it. 

Guesses: Orlando, Tampa (replacing Silver), Vegas, San Francisco,  and maybe Columbus?

35 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah, LAX makes sense. I forgot they fly to LAX, CHS goes to SFO. But after looking again, RDU goes to LAX. LAX has long been a top 20 or 30 destination for GSP travelers and this would a big get that should do well.

They’re actually restarting CHS-LAX in May. They don’t fly CHS-SFO anymore and CHS-PHX is being cut in May. 

I’m curious to see what the other four destinations are. Would be awesome if Las Vegas or Phoenix was one of them. Hopefully people that live and visit here will support this. Otherwise they will cut and run just as fast as Frontier, Contour, Silver, and Avelo have done. GSP has had some bad luck with keeping new airlines here. Hopefully that luck will finally start to change. 

Edited by gman430

• GSP to Los Angeles (LAX)

• GSP to Providence (PVD)

• GSP to Hartford (BDL)

• GSP to Orlando (MCO)

• GSP to Tampa (TPA)

And yes it’s Breeze: https://ishrionaviation.com/news/breeze-airways-new-routes-mobile-greenville?fbclid=IwAR1CdR42n6YCMoOFCSlPGf6MwhJkse7aONav0DyC-Cw0ZsQXrjNSYg9Lfz8  These new routes will be flown using the Airbus A220-300 aircraft. How long until MCO gets cut again? LOL. They do fly smaller planes than Southwest, Frontier, and Avelo though so maybe they will have an easier time filling the seats. MCO is also a base now for Breeze which helps.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Well Providence can serve for Boston but the Hartford doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Seems Vegas or an Ohio flight would have made more sense. Florida... meh. Providence and LAX should do well. Glad they’re on board finally with GSP!

People thought the same thing about New Haven and Avelo is increasing that to four times a week so Hartford might surprise everybody. Definitely booking a LAX flight with them. And yes Providence should do very well as GSP doesn’t have any service to that part of the country. Maybe they’ll expand to Ohio, Las Vegas, and Phoenix in the future if they do well enough. We shall see. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, gman430 said:

People thought the same thing about New Haven and Avelo is increasing that to four times a week so Hartford might surprise everybody. Definitely booking a LAX flight with them. And yes Providence should do very well as GSP doesn’t have any service to that part of the country. Maybe they’ll expand to Ohio, Las Vegas, and Phoenix in the future if they do well enough. We shall see. 

Well Avelos New Haven flight is one of the reasons I say that; seems like that would be too much service to that area; they're right beside each other. Maybe it'll work though. 

Edited by distortedlogic

29 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I read JB is trying to buy Spirit;  I wonder how that would affect routes, maybe they would come here under a new model?

The Justice Department rejected that merger but the airlines are appealing it. 

Rumor is that GSP has another airline coming soon on top of Breeze. Apparently that’s what the City of Greenville possible future tax incentives are for.  Remember the airport commission agenda said “potential new airlines” also. Maybe Frontier will come back with Las Vegas or JetBlue will start service to Boston. Who knows at this point. 

Breeze is also planning to expand internationally: https://simpleflying.com/breeze-wants-become-us-flag-carrier/ They’re looking to fly to the Caribbean, Central America, and Ireland. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Looks like Mondays and Fridays for all of the routes: https://ishrionaviation.com/news/breeze-airways-new-routes-mobile-greenville

Flights are now bookable on Breeze’s website where you can see prices and flight times. Definitely booking that first flight to LAX due to it being a holiday weekend: 

• GSP to Los Angeles (LAX) starting May 24 with 2x weekly flights

• GSP to Providence (PVD) starting May 3 with 2x weekly flights

• GSP to Hartford (BDL) starting May 24 with 2x weekly flights

• GSP to Orlando (MCO) starting May 24 with 2x weekly flights

• GSP to Tampa (TPA) starting May 10 with 2x weekly flights

• DEN and BFM also being added to Breeze’s overall network

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Did some price comparing. Delta GSP-LAX round trip May 24-27 is $640 for the cheapest fare in main economy. Breeze the same dates in standard economy “nice” with one carry on bag purchased $35 each way, one checked bag purchased $40 each way, and two $25 seats purchased is $516. Southwest on the other hand is $522 so overall very competitive fares by Breeze. Non-stop direct and new planes makes it that much better. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

GSP-IAH with United increasing from once a day to twice a day seven days a week starting May 23rd. Increase in both flights and seats.

Apparently, Avelo is still planning to bring back MCO as a seasonal route according to their updated interactive route map posted on their website: https://www.aveloair.com/destinations#route-map We shall see I guess.

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Did some price comparing. Delta GSP-LAX round trip May 24-27 is $640 for the cheapest fare in main economy. Breeze the same dates in standard economy “nice” with one carry on bag purchased $35 each way, one checked bag purchased $40 each way, and two $25 seats purchased is $516. Southwest on the other hand is $522 so overall very competitive fares by Breeze. Non-stop direct and new planes makes it that much better. 

I really hope it works. Twice a week is quite limited and they prices are more than what I would have thought; I was thinking they were more in line with Frontier and Allegiant but even if you leave out the add ons they are quite a bit more. Still; if they are cheaper than legacy carriers with no stops it might do really well. I hope we can support them and grow them here. 

The airport’s CEO David Edwards called Breeze Air’s announcement a “game-changer.”

“This is now our eighth airline, which is the most we’ve ever had at GSP,” Edwards said.

The news comes as Silver Airlines plans to stop flights out of the airport in March.

Tiffany Cherry, a spokesperson for GSP, said the airline is redirecting its service. She said Silver’s departure doesn’t mean the airline is gone for good. 

:dontknow: 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

From Breeze's front page

image.thumb.png.3488211e7a4d708867d71680b4ed1f16.png

9 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The airport’s CEO David Edwards called Breeze Air’s announcement a “game-changer.”

“This is now our eighth airline, which is the most we’ve ever had at GSP,” Edwards said.

The news comes as Silver Airlines plans to stop flights out of the airport in March.

Tiffany Cherry, a spokesperson for GSP, said the airline is redirecting its service. She said Silver’s departure doesn’t mean the airline is gone for good. 

:dontknow: 

If you look at Silver's route map, we are their northern most route (with HSV a close second). I wonder if we're just too far out of their way? Do you know how they were doing here?

image.thumb.png.dad91a1fe61b3aacd316073944de6c63.png

24 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

From Breeze's front page

image.thumb.png.3488211e7a4d708867d71680b4ed1f16.png

If you look at Silver's route map, we are their northern most route (with HSV a close second). I wonder if we're just too far out of their way? Do you know how they were doing here?

image.thumb.png.dad91a1fe61b3aacd316073944de6c63.png

Load factors for each airline for November are posted below. Silver was not doing well. Dead last by far with 66.6% capacity. The next worst was Southwest with 78.7% capacity. Everybody else is somewhere between 84-90% capacity. I’m not sure what GSP means by they aren’t gone for good. I’m pretty sure they are especially with Breeze taking over their routes. By the way, I know it’s really early but LAX has the most seats booked so far with these new routes on the first week of flying. Hartford has the least. Hmmm…go figure. Be aware that all of these new routes with Breeze are seasonally and not year round also. Obviously that could change for good or bad depending on demand.

IMG_0774.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Well Providence can serve for Boston but the Hartford doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Seems Vegas or an Ohio flight would have made more sense. Florida... meh. Providence and LAX should do well. Glad their on board finally with GSP!

PVD has MBTA commuter rail service to the airport.  BDL is 20 minutes from Springfield, just too bad they don’t have a monorail to serve it. It’s also about 2 hours from Medford (where I live). I’ll take it either of them even though I’m maybe 5 miles from Logan. 

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

Breeze dropped the price of LAX as part of their promo so now it’s $438 instead of $516 for the same dates. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

For the first time ever, city leaders adopted a resolution agreeing to assist GSP Airport financially: 

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2024/01/23/business-development-growth-gsp-airport-other-greenville-city-council-updates/?fbclid=IwAR1_cNyweCK7qUanQW6iJX978xws_CoDac-bDXpUCgv9HtX83BDblMG14Qg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

Those hoping for JetBlue anytime soon better keep hoping because it doesn’t look like it will be happening: 

https://onemileatatime.com/news/jetblue-employee-opt-out-package/?fbclid=IwAR1679GreehUWfWFZ9hbj3vrcyyT7YYdxg62S8glYnZbZmRd6-YiVP3CY14_aem_Aa-2T2fdQUCMdlVF6OD92zHKkmIypO8lFGE1iSGwiorLS2a-rNdTm9Rf6pyH2x64h8g

By the way, all of the new routes with Breeze are slated to end after Labor Day due to them being seasonal. Could change though of course depending on demand.

Edited by gman430