GSP International

gvillenative

7 hours ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

That is shocking as Austin is rapidly growing each day population wise. I can see Bozeman, Vail, Liberia, and a few more to get axed because who even goes daily on those cities. Curious 365 days from now what the numbers will be. 

Looks like Austin was victim of AA pilots and the dreaded scope clause!

https://viewfromthewing.com/how-american-airlines-pilots-took-down-the-austin-focus-city/

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Chattanooga just got service to Las Vegas with Allegiant:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2023/nov/16/chattanooga-airport-lands-nonstops-flights-to-las/

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I would imagine GSP has a chance at getting some more service through them eventually, but I think them being so big at AVL hurts GSP. I can't see them serving both locations to the same destinations, unless they were different days of the week. But there is no reason the upstate can't support a couple more routes with Allegiant and maybe getting Frontier back.

7 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I would imagine GSP has a chance at getting some more service through them eventually, but I think them being so big at AVL hurts GSP. I can't see them serving both locations to the same destinations, unless they were different days of the week. But there is no reason the upstate can't support a couple more routes with Allegiant and maybe getting Frontier back.

That makes no sense seeing how Knoxville, Asheville, and now Chattanooga all have service to Las Vegas with Allegiant. All of those cities are near each other. GSP Airport officials either don’t know what they’re doing or just don’t care.

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

That makes no sense seeing how Knoxville, Asheville, and now Chattanooga all have service to Las Vegas with Allegiant. All of those cities are near each other. GSP Airport officials either don’t know what they’re doing or just don’t care.

Knoxville is much more isolated than GSP, and is a tourist destination in it's own right. It's about twice as far from AVL as GSP is; they're what, an hour apart? I'm a bit surprised about Chatt, but then again, its probably a couple hours from ATL and Knoxville. Fair or not, all 3 of those cities are much more well known than Greenville and are bigger tourist draws. Tourist areas are the places Allegiant tends to serve the most. Greenville tourism has grown a lot over the past decade but still lags the other 3. Having said all that, I still think GSP is undeserved.

As for the airport leadership; I honestly don't know enough about all that, as a layperson, to adequately assess their performance, but I doubt they don't care. As residents, we know GSP could support more service, but we always have the ATL/CLT issues and are surrounded by peer cities that are more well known than us. Columbia, even though it has less service, is still a state capital with USC and is better known than us; then the tourist juggernauts of MYB and CHS a little further out. GSP and CAE really have some significant challenges when it comes to competition for services, and CAE is even in a worse spot than we are, and it shows in their service levels.

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

GSP isn't isolated and has more competition. You guys kill me with your constant complaining. You and apaladin. Complain complain. Lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Knoxville is much more isolated than GSP, and is a tourist destination in it's own right. It's about twice as far from AVL as GSP is; they're what, an hour apart? I'm a bit surprised about Chatt, but then again, its probably a couple hours from ATL and Knoxville. Fair or not, all 3 of those cities are much more well known than Greenville and are bigger tourist draws. Tourist areas are the places Allegiant tends to serve the most. Greenville tourism has grown a lot over the past decade but still lags the other 3. Having said all that, I still think GSP is undeserved.

As for the airport leadership; I honestly don't know enough about all that, as a layperson, to adequately assess their performance, but I doubt they don't care. As residents, we know GSP could support more service, but we always have the ATL/CLT issues and are surrounded by peer cities that are more well known than us. Columbia, even though it has less service, is still a state capital with USC and is better known than us; then the tourist juggernauts of MYB and CHS a little further out. GSP and CAE really have some significant challenges when it comes to competition for services, and CAE is even in a worse spot than we are, and it shows in their service levels.

When we lived in Orlando, we used to fly Allegiant out of Orlando to go on vacations in other places, e.g., skiing in the northeast. I don't know if that's a significant market for Allegiant or not, but LV has over 2 million people, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a market for cheap flights out of LV to places like Kville and Chattanooga, etc., which are bigger tourist draws than GSP.

7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

We had Las Vegas in 2018 and our population is bigger now. Makes no sense.

I've always been puzzled by that as well. Just like with Frontier, the load factors were very high. Perhaps the numbers don't tell the whole story or there are other factors we don't know about; 1 or 2 percentage points in load factors; difference in fuel costs from being a bit farther away, consistency of days that were supportable... I don't know.

1 minute ago, apaladin said:

Greenville is the 58th largest MSA and does not have one west coast or close destination. 

The CSA is 40th, which would be a better measure of who would use the airport. Actually I think airports/airlines use an "encatchment area" or something like that which would be even more.

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

Our airport officials know what they are doing. You and apaladin need to take a deep breath and appreciate what we have. For those tiring of the complaining, you should read apaladin’s post on the Furman sports forum. He claims to be a a fan, but complains about everything related to the Paladins. Sad. 

1 hour ago, gman said:

Our airport officials know what they are doing. You and apaladin need to take a deep breath and appreciate what we have. For those tiring of the complaining, you should read apaladin’s post on the Furman sports forum. He claims to be a a fan, but complains about everything related to the Paladins. Sad. 

Simply not true! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gman said:

It could be worse. We could be getting an overpriced observation deck downtown instead of using the money to fix our roads. 

On 11/18/2023 at 1:41 AM, motonenterprises said:

It is true that you two complain too much though.

It's true enough that after a while, they start to sound like Groot:

"This project is dead!"

"This project is dead?"

"This project is dead."

"This project is dead!"

"This project is dead?'

And so on.