Anderson Developments

JT Boy

Its more congested than you think. Highway 24 has a level of service rating of "F" around the lake. Its also very narrow and thus dangersous.

What does a 'level of service rating of 'F'" mean?

I agree with both of you. I think if the Hwy were widened there would be increased development, but I don't think it's an issue of need. It's an issue of perception. Obviously i don't live in Anderson right now, but my parents do and they live out 24 near the bridge in question. I have never seen congestion in that area. Even if there is an accident, traffic does not back up. At the traffic light at Whitehall and 24, you are never more than four or five cars from the front.

I think people in Anderson have a tendency to exaggerate traffic issues. Road construction is really expensive and shouldn't be entered into unless there is a real need. Whitehall could be improved, but even it doesn't have the kind of traffic that would make me want to spend the kind of money it would take to increase the size of the road.

Just my two cents.

Level of service is the term that planners use to measure the quality of travel a road provides bassed on the flow of traffic. A country road with no traffic would be an "A" free flowing. Level F would be Woodruff Rd in Greenville. Hwy 24 is probably an A or a B right now.

Btw, I meant to say projected Level of Service of "F" which means gridlock if current conditions are maintained for the forseable future.

Btw, I meant to say projected Level of Service of "F" which means gridlock if current conditions are maintained for the forseable future.

That makes more sense. But wouldn't most roads have a projected 'f'? There will always be growth. So it stands to reason that any road which is not improved will end up an 'f' someday, right? How long into the future is the 'f' projection for 24?

I just can't see anything on 24 causing traffic delays in the next 10-20 years. I know things can change radically by then, but... I just don't see it.

I actually still hold out hope that southern cities will stop the sprawlopolis mindset resulting in more 'urban' style transportation being a realistic possibility. Don't build more roads, zone for density and protect the rural areas and greenspace from stripmalls. That's my dream.

I'd like to see Clemson Blvd as a more urban core. As density increases and traffic gets worse, we could consider an efficient bus system! :) That's a long way off though.

I'm not sure what would change to reduce the rating from an A to an F anytime soon.

You've basically got two variables -- the number of cars, and how many of them want to make left hand turns. There are only three roads to turn onto (from 24) between 187 and I-85, and one of them has a traffic light.

Widening those bridges would be a serious project... The smaller one might not be so bad because you could close the highway and detour traffic out to I-85. The double bridges can't be easily detoured though, and I don't see how you could widen them without replacing them. Build a temporary bridge along side?

Widening those bridges would be a serious project... The smaller one might not be so bad because you could close the highway and detour traffic out to I-85. The double bridges can't be easily detoured though, and I don't see how you could widen them without replacing them. Build a temporary bridge along side?

Exactly

I had to run some errands in Anderson today, and I made it downtown.... the Chiquola building is really coming along nicely. It looks great. I also had a hard time finding a parking spot, which is a first for me in Downtown Anderson. I think there was something going on at the Courthouse though. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera. Its probably for the best though, since it was raining...

No parking in DT Anderson! Are you serious? I assume you are familiar with some of the 'hidden' lots off main. If not, signage is the answer. If so, the Chiquola parking deck is more needed than I thought. There is a lot being written about downtown recently. We're all still waiting to hear the plans for the Old Belks site. I worry that at this point with the rumors flying aound that anything they actually come up with will be a disappointment.

Belk has finally begun construction. Yes, as was quoted many pages back, UP scooped everyone.

These moves, as well as a decision by NewSpring Church to exit the mall, should make way for more store announcements in the future.

NewSpring Pastor Perry Noble told his congregation Sunday that the church

Edited by Pringles

Thanks for the info. Good news about Dillards. I had begun to wonder. But the article you linked to made me think, "maybe that's it." Good for the confirmation.

This all begs the question: where is NewSpring Church gonna put their youth stuff? I know they have big plans, but are they gonna build? On their current campus?

In related stuff - NewSpring had a huge pastor's conference last week. Almost 1000 attendees from all over the country. It got major blog attention and people were saying it was the best conference of the year. This is significant. For those who don't run in these circles, all the 'megachurches' do the conferences geared mostly at pastors. It's sort of an excuse to come together, share best practices and show off their stuff. So for NewSpring's to be called "conference of the year" is a pretty big deal. It's major exposure for Anderson.

The other news worthy of note on Newspring is they recently added a nationally known author to their staff. :thumbsup: Tony Morgan. See some of the blogosphere reaction to the NewSpring conference on his blog here. Go into any Christian bookstore and you can find his stuff.

I'm often wary of the attention Anderson gets for its religiosity...fundamental and intolerant. NewSpring is part of a bigger US movement that is definitely conservative theologically - but they are hip too. They don't come off judgmental, but authentic. Perry Noble is really becoming a major figure in this movement. Seacoast Church is also in this vein. They are based in Charleston, but it's their Greenville venue which has received all the press because their song leader on American Idol.

Not to diss Bob Jones, but IMO this new breed brings a lot more positive exposure to our region. :shades:

Anderson Independent Mail

Easily High Tech Company Expanding into Anderson CO.

Ortec purchased an old manufacturing building in Pendleton. It's a 50 million dollar investment that will create 50+ jobs. Good to see a local company expand. Good to see an empty building brought back to life. And good to see high tech jobs come to Anderson. :tough:

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Sounds kicks off in Anderson this week.

Anderson Independent Mail

The gist is that every Thursday from 5:30 till 9:30pm there will be a band playing in downtown in front of the courthouse. The events are free and the bands are high quality. The inaugural performance features Charleston-based country/rock group The Blue Dogs this Thursday. Come check it out. You'll get up close looks at some of the excitement surrounding downtown Anderson recently.

I think we've missed a couple of residential developments going on in downtown Anderson. I just checked out the downtownanderson.com website which i hadn't looked at in awhile and they have two developments I'd not heard of listed...

Benson Street Apartments

109B & 111B West Benson St.

Anderson, SC 29621

Phone: 864-934-9342

Upscale loft apartments on the Courthouse Square now under construction

and...

Sharpe Street Apartments

121 Sharpe St.

Anderson, SC 29621

Phone: 828-274-1004

Totally refurbished apartments available Summer 2007

My guess is both of these are smaller rehabs; however, they are significant in that they are adding to a developing nice core in the city center. I also read recently that someone is rehabs space across Main from the Chiquola Condos for first floor retail and second floor apartments.

I should also mention the Chiquola has a website up that gives a fabulous picture of the finished product. It also looks like those condos have sold really well.

The Calhoun also has a website but it's not nearly as attractive and it looks to me like only a small number (less than 25%) of the condos have sold there.

Edited by interestedexpat

The inaugural Downtown Sounds concert was a huge success! The people count was 700+ in downtown Anderson. :tough: Good job Anderson. :thumbsup:

This will be going on every Thursday till the end of August from 5:30pm till 9:30pm. If you haven't been to downtown Anderson recently (or ever) I would encourage you to check it out. Go, enjoy the free music, stroll around a bit and then grab dinner at one of the local restaurants. A good night out.

I dont understand about Pendleton Station though,...I mean that thing is probably 60-70 percent finished. I was over there around Christmas and they has tonnes of buildings up. What do you guys think will happen to that?

Also noticed a new space in DT Anderson called Bella. Anyone know the scoop on this?

I have a theory about Pendleton Station although I have no evidence other than watching Pendleton politics for a long time. My theory is that a lot of people never wanted Pendleton Station. They prefer not to have their town developed. They don't want more housing 'cause they don't want new neighbors...especially students! They couldn't legally stop Pendleton Station, but they waited until the developer made a mistake and shut the whole thing down. :) Admittedly this is a very cynical perspective, but these are the same people that chased BMW away from Anderson to Spartanburg! :(

Don't know what Bella is. I'd like to though.