Anderson Developments

JT Boy

^^^Forget that. Put a Cabela's at Rosewood, a BPS at this site, and a REI right between the two. :tough::D

If it doesn't have an all you can eat buffet, I don't know how well it will do. :P Just kidding. Actually - REI might not be a bad idea for Anderson. I think BPS is too big, especially if they are committed elsewhere in the upstate as you've claimed. But REI catering to the outdoorsy type. It should be a good fit. Maybe too upscale for Anderson's market. But it's changing.

It looks like there is yet more retail coming to Clemson Blvd. A former car lot was bought and bigbox retail is coming. Rumors are Kohl's, Staples and Starbucks. Read the story here.

In even better news though - Genesis Solutions a software development company based on Florida is setting up shop in downtown Anderson. The owner bought the Avenue of the Oaks (antique shop) building (201 S Main) and is renovating the facade and second floor. They say they'll start with 6-10 employees. It's a small investment, but just the kind of thing downtown Anderson needs! :thumbsup: Article is here.

Thats good news for Anderson on all fronts. I am always in favor of getting rid of car lots.

Re: Pendleton Station

I hope construction resumes as soon as possible. This will be a grand addtion to Pendleton inded.

Re: Former Upstate delearship becoming Kohl's

The center calls for three large retailers. Two of them are rukored to be Kohl's and Staples. Are there any thoughts on the third yet?

Re: Rosewood

With Greer getting Bass Pro Shops at I-85 and SC-14, Cabela's would be wise to locate here.

REI would be a very popular addition, if they come.

The downtown area was able to support the former Kroger at East River and South Fant streets in the 1980s.

Presently, the increasing downtown population, the boom in downtown residential living, and the need for retailers to come in places a grocer in the downtown's immediate vision. This will be realized in three to five years.

Anderson also has a lot of neighborhoods right around downtown that would draw on a grocery store. One of Anderson's biggest advantages is that its downtown is pretty well connected to surrounding neighborhoods. I can't say if one would be successful there or not, but it would seem the elements are starting to fall in to place.

The Anderson reactionaries are at it again. A developer has proposed a pretty big residential development on Midway road near Country Place with a modest commercial retail component at the entrance. The neighbors are up in arms about traffic! :dontknow: Sometimes I wonder if these people actually live in the real world. They are talking about a Deli, a convenience store, a nursery and a gas station!

The qoute was "these things are already avaialbe on HWY 81, why bring traffic off 81 down to Midway.

(1) People are not going to come from 81 to Midway to shop at Quick-E-Mart.

(2) Midway is a major road funneling people into and out of town who live along the route. It runs all the way to I-85 - just like 81 does.

(3) There has been lite commercial there before. This is an act of restoration.

(4) There is no serious traffic on Midway road. If anything, it might be nice to have a small commercial strip there to help slow things down a little.

It this kind of anti-anything attitude that drives me nuts.

I'd love to see that too, but I think Anderson is a long way from that. Alternatively - a good sized minimart that's open into the evening hours should do the trick. I don't think downtown will be ready to support a grocery store for a long long time.

It may be possible for a smaller-footprint grocery store to work... something like the Bi-Lo in downtown Greenville. It may be difficult to build brand new and make the numbers work though.

It may be possible for a smaller-footprint grocery store to work... something like the Bi-Lo in downtown Greenville. It may be difficult to build brand new and make the numbers work though.

A new store with the necessities conveniently located does put up numbers.

Publix is able to make that work, having a small sized store (28.000 to 30,000 square feet), having the required necessities (food, pharmacy), and a two to three level parking deck above the building.

I doubt many will want to shop an aging location like Greenville's North Main Street Bi-Lo.

Edited by BoDragon

A new store with the necessities conveniently located does put up numbers.

Publix is able to make that work, having a small sized store (28.000 to 30,000 square feet), having the required necessities (food, pharmacy), and a two to three level parking deck above the building.

I doubt many will want to shop an aging location like Greenville's North Main Street Bi-Lo.

More power to you guys. I just don't see it. I think you are over-estimating Anderson's downtown population (work and home). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Publics with a little parking deck above the building. :thumbsup:

But right now I don't think the market would allow it. Someone asked about the Kroger from the 1980s. It was a completely different situation in all kinds of ways. (1) It wasn't really in downtown. (2) It served a very poor community on the edge of downtown. (3) McCants Junior High was still right next door (creating lots of traffic at certain times of day). And (4) it shut down probably because it wasn't working.

All that said - I'd like to see a quicke-mart type of store (a little bigger than your average 7-11) on the ground floor of the city parking garage when it gets built next to Chiqola Condos. That would put it right in the center of things and give it a fighting chance. It would provide a "quick run" for eggs and cough syrup. Snacks for lawyers taking a break from court. A convenient stop for people who are entering or leaving the parking garage and it would be close to whatever is coming to the old Belk's site. I think if it were open from say 7 to 11, it would do well.

Regular grocery needs are still just a short drive down Greenville Street.

Have you checked Anderson's downtown population numbers presently, and its estimation for 5 and 10 years from now?

The current mini-part is in the form of Eckerd at North Main and Greenville streets. That store is consistently busy. Many desire having a grocer closer instead of driving 1.5 to 2 miles or more out of downtown for groceries. In the grocery sector, you do not build locations and expect customers to come to you; you must go to them.

^ I sincerely hope you are right. Of course, right now not living in Anderson I don't know. I'm just skeptical. When I do visit, I see a lot of progress downtown, but I don't see lots of people yet except on special occasions.

But based on your questions I suspect you might know more about this than I do. :whistling:

BTW - Anderson had a downtown grocer in the late 70s early 80s that died. Johnsons or something like that. But it was sort of a ghetto grocer. Not very attractive. The small Kroger (like what you suggested) would probably be a new, clean, upscale version of that with better everything. The parking on top would be a key component (and a novelty). I know people who would shop there just for that! :thumbsup:

Is this realistic?

By realistic...I didn't mean "are there grocery stores like that in the world?" I meant "is this something that someone would try in downtown Anderson?" :)

I'm not surprised that Publix or anyone else has tried this in Miami beach. I don't see them doing it in Anderson.

True, not all stores are like that Publix. It is something mostly not uncommon today. Major retailers in urban areas with limited space are adapting vertically. It makes more use of space, adds another rise to the skyline, and still maintain its purposes as a retailer.

This is what is being done at Greenville's McBee Station. *looks forward to the escalator-form people movers in the parking decks*

Several prominent sites currently exist downtown to land such a grocer.

Video/Link: Shopping Cart Escalator in Wal-Mart

Edited by BoDragon

More power to you guys. I just don't see it. I think you are over-estimating Anderson's downtown population (work and home). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Publics with a little parking deck above the building. :thumbsup:

But right now I don't think the market would allow it. Someone asked about the Kroger from the 1980s. It was a completely different situation in all kinds of ways. (1) It wasn't really in downtown. (2) It served a very poor community on the edge of downtown. (3) McCants Junior High was still right next door (creating lots of traffic at certain times of day). And (4) it shut down probably because it wasn't working.

All that said - I'd like to see a quicke-mart type of store (a little bigger than your average 7-11) on the ground floor of the city parking garage when it gets built next to Chiqola Condos. That would put it right in the center of things and give it a fighting chance. It would provide a "quick run" for eggs and cough syrup. Snacks for lawyers taking a break from court. A convenient stop for people who are entering or leaving the parking garage and it would be close to whatever is coming to the old Belk's site. I think if it were open from say 7 to 11, it would do well.

Regular grocery needs are still just a short drive down Greenville Street.

Back to Anderson....

Downtown doesn't have vary many people, this much is true. However, you have to look beyond downtown. What type of market is within a few miles of downtown? Would these people drive to downtown? Perhaps the grocery stores that are there now serve them well. That Ingles on Main near the Boulevard always seems to be packed with cars, and maybe that is enough to serve downtown?

The convenience store idea would be great. The whole concept of a corner store is all but lost these days.

Ingle's at North Main and Boulevard caters to the Linley Park and Concord Avenue areas. Most customers are mid to high middle income. Anderson's downtown, 1.25 miles away from this Ingle's. Publix on East Greenville Street, targeting the higher income neighborhoods of Bellview and East Greenville Street, is 2.25 miles away.

The idea of a corner store is not lost, just changing. Say you need fresh produce, prescriptions, delicatessen cut cheeses and angus beef. Would you rather go to a Spinx for that, which they are not a grocer, or a neighborhood grocer like an urban Publix?

We are not thinking short term, six months, ahead. We are loooking at Anderson's downtown long term three to five years ahead.