Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

19 hours ago, angela1117 said:

The things on her head immediately reminded me of Mickey Mouse ears. Probably not what they intended though.

LOL, that's a Super Mario character named Toad.  @F-L-Awas 100% right on that one.  I didn't notice that before you pointed it out.  The IP from Super Nintendo World is going to come close to rivaling Disney's IP.  You can't top Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, etc.  But Universal is incorporating Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach ala character actors and maybe more that I didn't see.  And this is big for Universal.  My Goddaughter watches Disney cartoons, so it is still a thing with kids.  But Nintendo has been a "thing" since the late '80's, so you're talking about at least two generations of Nintendo players...and...almost EVERY kid or teen has a Nintendo, whether it's a handheld device or a Wii, Switch, or prior.  That is a powerful "in" if you will with a broad range of persons to market to for Universal in complimenting and expanding it's fan base.

Is this a contest where I am rooting for Universal over Disney?  Not necessarily.  I know @spenser1058made it personal for reasons I won't get into (RIP), but I know one thing...when Universal spends money...Disney has to also to stay competative or maintain it's superiority.  And, Orlando wins.

Just look below:  Mario, Toad, and Yoshi.  What is there not to like?  And people know about these characters since the Late '80's...and that's staying power...

The-Best-Super-Mario-Characters.jpg

1 hour ago, angela1117 said:

I guess I wouldn't have made a good marketing person... 😉

Nah...you just have to be a video game nerd is all.  But, remember, my point is this: if you didn't watch Mickey Mouse Club as a kid or go to WDW, would you even know who Mickey Mouse was? THe answer is no because there are no movies about Mickey Mouse to see.  And, any cartoons are for kids and we don't watch that.  If anything, we may watch Scooby Doo, He Man, or Bugs Bunny because it's still cool, right?  So the difference with Mario is that kids, teens, adults, and old farts play Nintendo and still do.  There's also been a Super Mario movie that was released recently too.

We know that Mickey is Disney's iconic symbol.  Now throw in Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc., and those are the more current Disney icons we reference.  Nintendo has the above characters and the following, and that's not even from a movie; rather, from video game series that have continued every few years.  It's almost like video games are the new movies.  And know that Nintendo is big in the US.  It is also big in Japan, hence Super Nintendo World at Universal Japan.  But the entire world knows about Nintendo.  I know people in online tournaments of Super Mario Tennis and the players are from all over the world.  And Super Mario Tennis has all of these characters portrayed. 

What's more powerful, seeing Alice in Wonderland at Epcot or Snow White at Epcot, characters we have seen in movies- seen only, versus, seeing Mario or Luigi in person, characters we've actually used in some of these video games Nintendo has published?  We'll see...  Snow White has been around for a hot minute, so it's tough to compete with that.  But while Snow White has been sitting on her laurels for 50-60 years, characters like Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Princess Peach have been "interacting" with people consistently playing those games for 35+ years.  Not to take anything away from the "power" of Snow White or the timeless story, or Cinderella and Cinderella's iconic castle, my point is simply that Universal got Nintendo's IP because it resonates similarly ala the richness of characters they've created over the years.  I find it fascinating because they are developing lands based on video game IP versus movie IP.

Here's some more of the iconic characters:  Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Princess Peach, Wario

Best-Super-Mario-Characters-Bowser.jpg

Best-Super-Mario-Characters-Donkey-Kong.jpg

Best-Super-Mario-Characters-Luigi.jpg

Best-Super-Mario-Characters-Princess-Peach.jpg

MPSWario.webp

On 6/21/2023 at 2:17 PM, jrs2 said:

So the difference with Mario is that kids, teens, adults, and old farts play Nintendo and still do

LOL....I was that mom in the '90's who just said no to video games at our house. My kids were welcome to play them at their friends house but I thought they were electronic heroin and had no place at our house. I knew I'd made the right decision when on a transatlantic flight our son sat quietly reading the latest Harry Potter and never said a word.

To this day I get upset when I see the strollers with an iPad holder/toddlers glued to screens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I just saw that ICON park had toyed with a sniper shooting game from the Wheel.  Holy crap, how did that get that far in the planning process?!?!

If I recall, it was more then toyed with it, they had it launched and was active for quite some time before Karen complained.

https://attractionsmagazine.com/bullseye-blast-game-wheel-icon-park/

Edited by aent
  • Haha 1

SO, Universal filed patents for a Zelda themed ride to replace the Poseidon area of IOA.  They had a few proposals for the Kid Zone at UO and also for Super Nintendo World before deciding on a third park.  So, they had stated in the past that Nintendo themed IP would make its way back into the other park(s)...

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 6:08 PM, angela1117 said:

LOL....I was that mom in the '90's who just said no to video games at our house. My kids were welcome to play them at their friends house but I thought they were electronic heroin and had no place at our house. I knew I'd made the right decision when on a transatlantic flight our son sat quietly reading the latest Harry Potter and never said a word.

To this day I get upset when I see the strollers with an iPad holder/toddlers glued to screens.

I totally forgot about another Nintendo IP that's been evolving throughout the years; The Legend of Zelda.  And, the Donkey Kong Country series as well.  Probably mostly known by gamers rather than the general public, Universal can incorporate some of the best know characters from these series as well. 

In my other post, Universal had already filed a patent on a ride mechanism for Zelda.  And, Donkey Kong has a ride at Super Nintendo World already in development.

Here are some of those characters:

Top-10-best-legend-of-zelda-characters.webp

znr8s3zwlis41.jpg

• Like 1

https://floridayimby.com/2021/12/bainbridge-sand-lake-undergoing-construction-at-7575-universal-boulevard-orlando-fl-32819.html

So, this guy is posting that Bainbridge Sand Lake is going where Mystery Fun house was, which is where Major Blvd intersects with Grand National...yet shows the map of where I believe Triton Cay Apts is u/c (per google maps) to the south of where Universal Blvd intersects with Carrier Drive and used that 7575 Universal Blvd address.   Both apartment buildings are simultaneously u/c though...

A hot mess of an article.

• Like 1