Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

21 minutes ago, codypet said:

I think those are garages on the extreme east side of the site.  East of the Destination Pkwy extension bridge.

If those are garages, they're tiny.  I thought they were some sort of support buildings. If those are garages, it also reinforces the idea that this development will still be noisy, even if it's a dome. They want to put multi-story parking garages practically in those people's backyards? 

There's also the increased traffic concern. This area really isn't built for this sort of development, especially with Universal already expanding nearby. 

10 hours ago, F-L-A said:

That's right next to the neighborhood I grew up in near SeaWorld. I can tell you right now that won't fly with the old folks living there:whistling: And maybe I'm wrong, but it also feels like the scale of this project is completely off.  I don't see them realistically fitting a stadium on that plot, much less all that other stuff I'm seeing. Where's the parking? They can't borrow Aquatica's. 

Does anyone know why that larger plot between the convention center, Pointe Orlando and the former Peabody hasn't been developed? I feel like that would be a better location if they insist on that area. Not that this is ever getting built. 

funny, that was the first thing I though of... At least Aquatica has a parking lot buffer; the baseball stadium won't.

the plot adjacent to Hyatt Orlando (Peabody) was earmarked for a Five Star Carlsen Hotel project that was supposed to be like 2k rooms.  There were international Arab investors and I think after 9-11 there was some investor money pull out when the economy started to tank.  I don't know who owns it but I think The County wants a convention-class hotel going in there.

Personally I would just do a deal with The County and make a domed stadium part of the OCCC or at least attach it to it with a common mezzanine.  And build it on the parking lot land to the east of the N/S Bldg.  It is uncertain when the OCCC will expand again.  I think they will.  The Meetings industry is strong.  Maybe the OCCC needs to be expanded the N/S Bldg to full buildout (or another 1M sq ft, and also build a common mezzanine with the Baseball dome.  Dunno.

But that parcel by Aquatica is a surprising location to me.  They'd be better off putting it off of Westwood near where that 36 story hotel project is slated to go; no residential near there...

11 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Agree with everyone that this seems way too wedged into that space to make sense.  I'm surprised that Seaworld never scooped it up for expansion space.

That would make more sense. My understanding is during the last earnings call a couple weeks ago, SeaWorld said they were planning to have a hotel near their main entrance starting construction in 2024 for a 2025 opening. Previous master plans had SeaWorld relocating much parking across to the Aquatica side, and filling the existing parking lot with SeaWorld expansion and hotel space, and possibly a CityWalk style area.

1 hour ago, tcurry10 said:

Interesting but he kinda sounds like a drunk grandpa that elicits eyerolls, sighs, and "sure thing, oldtimer" from listeners. Sure, he's an Orlando Magic legend but I don't think he has the cache needed to sway decision-makers to give Orlando a shot. I certainly give him credit but ultimately I feel like most of this is falling on deaf ears.

On 5/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, Uncommon said:

Interesting but he kinda sounds like a drunk grandpa that elicits eyerolls, sighs, and "sure thing, oldtimer" from listeners. Sure, he's an Orlando Magic legend but I don't think he has the cache needed to sway decision-makers to give Orlando a shot. I certainly give him credit but ultimately I feel like most of this is falling on deaf ears.

Well I agree with a bit of this but Pat does have quite a bit of history as a sports Exec with the Phillies organization and then the Sixers before successfully launching a new NBA franchise in Orlando.. He may have more cache and connections than you may think.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

what? we have to be BIGGER than Chicago.  Don't you understand?  Or I will never be able to live it down...  LOL.

Another issue is we've lost a few shows to Vegas recently after their upgrades. I'm disappointed we lost the International Builders Show. My understanding is also for the smaller shows, its too hard to subdivide the North-South building for more then like 2 shows at a time, and the upgrades to the concourse are supposed to allow for many, many more shows to occur at the same time, massively increasing utilization of the building.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, aent said:

Another issue is we've lost a few shows to Vegas recently after their upgrades. I'm disappointed we lost the International Builders Show. My understanding is also for the smaller shows, its too hard to subdivide the North-South building for more then like 2 shows at a time, and the upgrades to the concourse are supposed to allow for many, many more shows to occur at the same time, massively increasing utilization of the building.

they were so enamored with MCO A/B that they designed N/S like MCO A/B...The North Lobby is a beotch to get to; the South is so much easier.   Megacon got so big that they take up the entire N/S Bldg...using it for both front and back of house...

I thought Intl Builders Show was a staggered schedule show...maybe its staggered b/c of the upgrades in Vegas... they need to get it back...

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I have to imagine getting from the northernmost side of West Concourse to the North Concourse is a bear to get around.  

Park near Pointe Orlando, walk to Rosen Plaza, use the skywalk to West Bldg, walk 1/2 mile to the skywalk to N/S, that's about a 1/4 mile itself, then South to North is the long side, about another 1/4 mile.  Or, start by walking to Hyatt Orlando and walk thru there first.

I think the savior to OCCC will be Epic Universe for a few reasons...I'll get to it later when I'm on the can.

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

they were so enamored with MCO A/B that they designed N/S like MCO A/B...The North Lobby is a beotch to get to; the South is so much easier.   Megacon got so big that they take up the entire N/S Bldg...using it for both front and back of house...

I thought Intl Builders Show was a staggered schedule show...maybe its staggered b/c of the upgrades in Vegas... they need to get it back...

International Builders Show in past years filled up all of the building, north, south, and west. It used to always alternate 2 or 3 years Orlando, then 2 or 3 in Vegas, but after 2026 its staying in Vegas for like 10 years. My understanding is the main reason is the improvements connecting their separate convention buildings with the boring tunnel to make it easier for the convention goers to get between the different spaces. I've noticed many of the moving walkways between the convention halls have been permanently turned off and the new bridges foregone them. Same mistakes as MCO here as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aent said:

International Builders Show in past years filled up all of the building, north, south, and west. It used to always alternate 2 or 3 years Orlando, then 2 or 3 in Vegas, but after 2026 its staying in Vegas for like 10 years. My understanding is the main reason is the improvements connecting their separate convention buildings with the boring tunnel to make it easier for the convention goers to get between the different spaces. I've noticed many of the moving walkways between the convention halls have been permanently turned off and the new bridges foregone them. Same mistakes as MCO here as well.

That explains the type of improvements that were proposed here, i.e., the mezzanine connecting North and South Halls, etc.

Orange County is just so...interesting.  They build the N/S Bldg and the original connector that was slated was an AGT (APM- I got push back from some here using AGT over APM, but it is automated guideway transit, and an automated people mover can be anything; anyway).  But they said it would cost like $1M or more.  So they made the walkway with moving sidewalks within it.

I think what really helped the OCCC buildings come "together" more than anything was the expansion of Hyatt Orlando, where their convention space extended right up to the elevated connector walkway.  TO me, that's the coolest thing about it.  If I go to a show in the N/S Bldg I will make sure I will always walk thru Hyatt Orlando en route.  I never wanted to park in the OCCC parking lots for either building.  If it's the West Bldg, I will make sure I walk thru Rosen Plaza and use their skywalk.  I've done the Hilton Orlando skywalk and the Rosen Centre skywalks as well.  

I will say think, they need another convention-class hotel attached to the complex- probably where that lot is just north and east of Hyatt Orlando.  Rosen stated they were going to expand Rosen Plaza like 6 years ago but they never did.