Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

What's funny is I did my senior design project on an apartment development that was supposed to go on the site of Skull Kingdom, Pizza Hut, and "Rainbow Mart"(A sketchy food mart that was well known in the Dr. Phillips High Circles for selling alcohol to people under 21).  That site today still sits vacant 15 years later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

What's funny is I did my senior design project on an apartment development that was supposed to go on the site of Skull Kingdom, Pizza Hut, and "Rainbow Mart"(A sketchy food mart that was well known in the Dr. Phillips High Circles for selling alcohol to people under 21).  That site today still sits vacant 15 years later.

I remember when they said there was a proposal for Skull Kingdom.  I always thought that maybe Universal would purchase it and put something there in an attempt to create more of a continuity between the two sides of I-4 along U Blvd.

https://www.themeparx.com/universal-epic-universe/

this has good recent construction progress in the link.  the YouTube vid is on that site and in the first few seconds of the video, it shows that first of two hotels already up as reported last week.  Wow, I haven't seen that yet.  It borders the NE corner of Kirkman Road Extension & Universal Blvd.  Also, towards the last portion of the video, it shows the Kirkman Road Extension u/c.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 6:33 AM, shardoon said:

Have they even started the build out? 2023?

Also, regarding the Epic hotels.......Anybody know the name of the curved large hotel at Epic that appears to be topped out already, prefab style, just off of Universal Blvd? It's got a cool looking tunnel under it. 

universal epic u hotel.jpeg

• Like 1

$1.7 billion ? Seems expensive for a baseball stadium.  This type of money should have been spent on a new football stadium instead of a refurbished citrus bowl. In any case, they are dreaming if they think they are gonna get an expansion team while the Rays are in St. Pete with the best record in baseball and only attracting tens of fans. This move can only be to have the Rays relocate to Orlando. 

I like the location as I've mentioned in previous posts and potentially can be successful in luring the Rays. What they need to do it have some back channel talks with the Rays leadership. I think this would be a much better investment than expanding the convention center yet again. I think they are really maxed out on what shows they can attract and I don't think adding another million square feet is getting the most bang for your buck. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/orlando-baseball-stadium/43774518

Land officially sold to the developer for the Fairmont Hotel. Looking at Google Maps, the South I Drive location looks like it has the land to potentially recruit many high end resorts, just just the typical Radissons, Hilton Garden Inns. Maybe we finally connect I Drive down the road and build that missing link.

https://www.growthspotter.com/2023/05/03/development-ventures-group-buys-land-along-i-drive-for-400-million-hotel-project/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

$1.7 billion ? Seems expensive for a baseball stadium.  This type of money should have been spent on a new football stadium instead of a refurbished citrus bowl. In any case, they are dreaming if they think they are gonna get an expansion team while the Rays are in St. Pete with the best record in baseball and only attracting tens of fans. This move can only be to have the Rays relocate to Orlando. 

I like the location as I've mentioned in previous posts and potentially can be successful in luring the Rays. What they need to do it have some back channel talks with the Rays leadership. I think this would be a much better investment than expanding the convention center yet again. I think they are really maxed out on what shows they can attract and I don't think adding another million square feet is getting the most bang for your buck. 

According to Tampa Bay area news reports, the Rays ownership group and a development partner are close to finalising an agreement with the St. Pete city council and Pinellas County for funding a new stadium close to the Trop (potentially this month).  The timing strikes me as a bit weird for this 4-year-old "Dreamers" initiative at this stage, and could be part of a wider negotiating ploy by the negotiators pulling together the St. Pete deal to close it.  Orlando doesn't have a chance hosting an MLB team, whether it's a relocated team or expansion team, if the Rays stay in Tampa Bay.  Watch this space...

Edited by jliv

29 minutes ago, jliv said:

According to Tampa Bay area news reports, the Rays ownership group and a development partner are close to finalising an agreement with the St. Pete city council and Pinellas County for funding a new stadium close to the Trop (potentially this month).  The timing strikes me as a bit weird for this 4-year-old "Dreamers" initiative at this stage, and could be part of a wider negotiating ploy by the investment bankers pulling together the St. Pete deal to close it.  Orlando doesn't have a chance hosting an MLB team, whether it's a relocated team or expansion team, if the Rays stay in Tampa Bay.  Watch this space...

Call me unimpressed with any St. Pete or Tampa deal. I've seen that song and dance happen and fade away over the past 10 years. Also, I would think the Rays wishlist of location if given these 3 options would be:

1.  Somewhere in Tampa East of the Bay

2. I Drive in Orlando

3. St. Pete

Building a new stadium in St. Pete will not attract more fans. It's a failed location for an MLB team. This has been proven over more than a decade, and you can't say they didn't have a good team. A new stadium may bring an uptick of 10% in attendance, which will still be horrible. And that uptick will last maybe a year or two and then fall back after the novelty wears off. That fan base in that location are who they are, not gonna change. 

6 hours ago, shardoon said:

I'll just come out and say it... they are f'ing crazy.  no way a baseball stadium costs $1.7B.  Jerry's World cost $1B and Giants Stadium a little more than that.  Granted, it's been a decade since then.  

So, if it's to go adjacent to the OCCC, then, I would do it like GWCC was, attach the mezzanine levels together, slap a dome on it, and make the grass field convertible ala Phoenix Stadium, so that you can use the square footage of the field as flexible expo/meeting space.  I know they use the LA Superdome for convention events even though they have a large CC a few blocks away.

But it ain't gonna cost that much.  Unless they have to pay like $600M expansion franchise fee. And also, wouldn't the County be giving them the land or leasing it to them, or is this another OUC easement/Sunrail airport leg situation?

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

Call me unimpressed with any St. Pete or Tampa deal. I've seen that song and dance happen and fade away over the past 10 years. Also, I would think the Rays wishlist of location if given these 3 options would be:

1.  Somewhere in Tampa East of the Bay

2. I Drive in Orlando

3. St. Pete

Building a new stadium in St. Pete will not attract more fans. It's a failed location for an MLB team. This has been proven over more than a decade, and you can't say they didn't have a good team. A new stadium may bring an uptick of 10% in attendance, which will still be horrible. And that uptick will last maybe a year or two and then fall back after the novelty wears off. That fan base in that location are who they are, not gonna change. 

great points about the location.  I wish I knew more about MLB demographics...till can't believe they don't get more fans as good as they are...

I think they would end up in a "sports town" labeled environment in the end, ala, downtown Tampa.  Vinnick?

However, The A's told Oakland to kiss off...so...  and Da Behr-sssss told City Hall to kiss off en route to Arlington to demolish a horse track facility that was featured on Inland Architect in the '90's

On 5/5/2023 at 11:39 AM, jrs2 said:

I'll just come out and say it... they are f'ing crazy.  no way a baseball stadium costs $1.7B.  Jerry's World cost $1B and Giants Stadium a little more than that.  Granted, it's been a decade since then.  

So, if it's to go adjacent to the OCCC, then, I would do it like GWCC was, attach the mezzanine levels together, slap a dome on it, and make the grass field convertible ala Phoenix Stadium, so that you can use the square footage of the field as flexible expo/meeting space.  I know they use the LA Superdome for convention events even though they have a large CC a few blocks away.

But it ain't gonna cost that much.  Unless they have to pay like $600M expansion franchise fee. And also, wouldn't the County be giving them the land or leasing it to them, or is this another OUC easement/Sunrail airport leg situation?

The Rangers stadium was a billion. It opened 3 years ago. Which means pricing was locked in in 2017-2018 for most of it. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:56 AM, shardoon said:

Land officially sold to the developer for the Fairmont Hotel. Looking at Google Maps, the South I Drive location looks like it has the land to potentially recruit many high end resorts, just just the typical Radissons, Hilton Garden Inns. Maybe we finally connect I Drive down the road and build that missing link.

https://www.growthspotter.com/2023/05/03/development-ventures-group-buys-land-along-i-drive-for-400-million-hotel-project/

That's a very comprehensive article. They discuss Conrad Evermore, Fairmont, Nobu, the 15 storyTao by White Castle, the 22 story W Hotel next to Epic U, and the unnamed 36 story proposal off Westwood & access road to OCCC.

Nobu and Fairmont seem to be in a similar location across I-4 from Disney.  I don't recall much about Nobu though...

https://citysurfingorlando.com/2022/07/nobu-hotel-and-restaurant-to-be-built-near-walt-disney-world/

So, Nobu will be just north of Marriott World, while Fairmont will be just south of Marriott World and 536.

Edited by jrs2

https://www.orlando-news.com/2022/11/13/tao-group-building-1-billion-350-acre-resort-in-orlando/

article on Tao hotel at O-Town West.  a little confusing.  I thought this was supposed to be a tower.  Here they state it's a 350 acre development worth $1B.  I think the reporter got it wrong; I think they are in essence stating that the hotel will be part of the $1B development aka O-Town West (by Unicorp).

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.orlando-news.com/2022/11/13/tao-group-building-1-billion-350-acre-resort-in-orlando/

article on Tao hotel at O-Town West.  a little confusing.  I thought this was supposed to be a tower.  Here they state it's a 350 acre development worth $1B.  I think the reporter got it wrong; I think they are in essence stating that the hotel will be part of the $1B development aka O-Town West (by Unicorp).

It's gonna be on the plot of land right in front of the new marriott vacation club headquarters. Also, gonna be about 15 stories. 

On 5/5/2023 at 11:39 AM, jrs2 said:

So, I just saw the renderings including the hotels and huge indoor mall of America like glass roof concourse. Now I know why this thing costs that much. Wow, but I think it's a pipe dream. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shardoon said:

It's gonna be on the plot of land right in front of the new marriott vacation club headquarters. Also, gonna be about 15 stories. 

So, I just saw the renderings including the hotels and huge indoor mall of America like glass roof concourse. Now I know why this thing costs that much. Wow, but I think it's a pipe dream. 

its funny how reporters don't know wtf they are writing about.  to them it's just a news byte to post; details aren't a concern.  I remember y'all posting about the exact location which is what prompted my skepticism of the article (there were a few I read).

it that rendering posted anywhere where you can repost it here?  I am assuming all of that parking to the east of N/S is where this thing would go, right?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

its funny how reporters don't know wtf they are writing about.  to them it's just a news byte to post; details aren't a concern.  I remember y'all posting about the exact location which is what prompted my skepticism of the article (there were a few I read).

it that rendering posted anywhere where you can repost it here?  I am assuming all of that parking to the east of N/S is where this thing would go, right?

https://www.wmfe.org/economy/2023-05-10/orlando-dreamers-baseball-stadium-rendering-revealed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

oh, wow.  this is nowhere near the OCCC.  it is on that parcel that may have once been earmarked for Obama HSR station, sandwiched between 528 & Aquatica on the east side of I-Drive.  So they would make a bridge connector back over 528 to connect to what appears to be the BL I-Drive Sunshine Corridor station.  I didn't realize there was that much land there.

@orange87created a thread in the Coffee House.  I wonder if that thread should instead be here in the main forum...

if they did put it here, it would be a cluster on I-Drive.  I would build a bridge back over 528 in back where they depict a skywalk or equivalent bridge, so that WB 528 traffic would exit, make a right, make another right on Destination Pkwy, and then another right back over 528 to the back of the complex.  I would also build a road parallel to that residential community property line to direct connect it to CFLA Pkwy to the south.

download.webp

Edited by jrs2

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

oh, wow.  this is nowhere near the OCCC.  it is on that parcel that may have once been earmarked for Obama HSR station, sandwiched between 528 & Aquatica on the east side of I-Drive.  

The Obama HSR station was over the parking lot and part of the ponds and ramp on the north side of SR 528.

• Like 1

That's right next to the neighborhood I grew up in near SeaWorld. I can tell you right now that won't fly with the old folks living there. :whistling: And maybe I'm wrong, but it also feels like the scale of this project is completely off.  I don't see them realistically fitting a stadium on that plot, much less all that other stuff I'm seeing. Where's the parking? They can't borrow Aquatica's. 

Does anyone know why that larger plot between the convention center, Pointe Orlando and the former Peabody hasn't been developed? I feel like that would be a better location if they insist on that area. Not that this is ever getting built. 

Edited by F-L-A

1 hour ago, F-L-A said:

That's right next to the neighborhood I grew up in near SeaWorld. I can tell you right now that won't fly with the old folks living there. :whistling: And maybe I'm wrong, but it also feels like the scale of this project is completely off.  I don't see them realistically fitting a stadium on that plot, much less all that other stuff I'm seeing. Where's the parking? They can't borrow Aquatica's. 

Does anyone know why that larger plot between the convention center, Pointe Orlando and the former Peabody hasn't been developed? I feel like that would be a better location if they insist on that area. Not that this is ever getting built. 

I believe the parking is under the entire structure. Outside of the stadium, the whole thing looks raised. I think that's part of why we are talking to much money. As far as the neighborhood, their only possible complaint could be noise, however, being that it looked to be a dome, that argument may be moot.