Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

So now it looks like they are making movements on the remaining stretch of the Daryl Carter extension. This is not the Otown West project or Beacon Point. This is something entirely new. Of note, the owner must have had a much better offer from a developer than OCPS because OCPS was gonna do a land swap with them to put the new middle school next to the new high school....... however, it seems the owner decided to cut off discussion and OCPS decided to keep the current land for the middle school off Apopka Vineland. 

2018-2-A-1-4_Kerina_Parkside_Community_Meeting_Notice.pdf

28 minutes ago, shardoon said:

So now it looks like they are making movements on the remaining stretch of the Daryl Carter extension. This is not the Otown West project or Beacon Point. This is something entirely new. Of note, the owner must have had a much better offer from a developer than OCPS because OCPS was gonna do a land swap with them to put the new middle school next to the new high school....... however, it seems the owner decided to cut off discussion and OCPS decided to keep the current land for the middle school off Apopka Vineland. 

2018-2-A-1-4_Kerina_Parkside_Community_Meeting_Notice.pdf

This is bad for that are. Terrible planning from the county.

The Orlando Eye and I-Drive 360 is being rebranded at ICON Orlando. 

Things of interest in the press release-

A new nightly light show using both the wheel and the fountains. 

The wheel now has its own annual pass. I've requested info on what this means regarding Merlin's management and ticketing but have yet to hear back. 

The capsules now have Wi-Fi as well which is great for live videos and Snapchat since the top of the wheel has weak phone signal. 

I've cut and paste the press release below. 

---------------------------------------------------------

ORLANDO, Fla. (May 9, 2018) – IDL Parent LLC, owners of the I-Drive 360 entertainment complex on International Drive, announced today a new name for its towering 400-foot centerpiece, the Coca-Cola® Orlando Eye, which is now ICON Orlando. An innovative marketing campaign will be launched following the rebrand, encouraging guests to “Find their Iconic Moment” at the 18-acre complex, which has also been renamed ICON Orlando 360. The new web addresswww.iconorlando.com will go live on Monday, May 14.

“Since opening three years ago, the observation wheel has become an instantly recognizable part of the Central Florida landscape and a catalyst for growth along the I-Drive corridor,” said Cindy Campbell-Taylor, vice president of marketing, sales and public affairs at ICON Orlando 360. “As such, the new ICON Orlando name makes perfect sense as we introduce some key changes and position this iconic structure for the future.”

According to Campbell-Taylor, the new ICON Orlando 360 will be adding several new “ICONic” experiences in the coming months, including:

• ICONic Annual Pass – Guests can enjoy 365 days of ICONic fun for only $69 (plus tax). Price includes unlimited entrance to the ICON Orlando. Annual pass holders can also bring a friend at a discounted rate.
  • 7/14-Day Trade Ticket  Trade Partners can now offer their visitors added flexibility to their vacation with a 7-day or 14-day ticket that includes unlimited visits to ICON Orlando
  • Enhanced Fully Immersive Capsules – ICON Orlando capsules will soon include Wi-Fi, as well as customized immersive experiences allowing guests the opportunity to personalize their flight.
  • FUN IN THE SKY: Private Party Capsule – For adults only, the private party capsule features complimentary beer/wine and a private bartender for up to 10 guests. Guest can also upgrade to a second rotation and enjoy the flight a little longer. 
  • ICONic Every Night: Nightly Light Show – Coming later this year, ICON Orlando will come alive even more with enhanced synchronized nightly display incorporating the courtyard fountains.

Other changes on the horizon at ICON Orlando 360 include the new high-tech Justice League: A Call for Heroesexperience at Madame Tussauds Orlando (May 25), and theOrlando StarFlyer, a massive swing ride that will give extreme thrill seekers one-of-a-kind, open-air views from 425 feet above the ground (June 1).  

The ICON Orlando 360 rebrand comes as the complex nears 100 percent occupancy and ownership company IDL Parent LLC shifts from development to management, with a focus on enhancing the guest experience. Now managing the newly named ICON Orlando is an executive team led by CEO Rosemary Rose; Senior Vice President of Facilities, Engineering and Security Bill Kivler; Vice President of Marketing, Sales and Public Affairs Cindy Campbell-Taylor; and Vice President of Operations & Finance Jim Forrester.   

###

About ICON Orlando 360:

ICON Orlando 360 is a one-of-a-kind dining and entertainment complex in the middle of Orlando’s International Drive tourist district. The main attraction is the 400-foot ICON Orlando, one of the world’s tallest observation wheels. ICON ORLANDO 360 also features SEA LIFE Orlando Aquarium, Madame TussaudsOrlando, SKELETONS: Museum of Osteology and the new StarFlyer, opening this Summer. The 18-acre complex offers more than a dozen restaurants and bars, central courtyard and fountain with choreographed water displays, as well as live entertainment, vendors, special events, and private space for meetings and events. Developed in a partnership that includes Paul and Dayssi Kanavos and Adam Raboy of Flag Luxury Group; Brett Torino of The Torino Companies; and Chuck Whittall of Unicorp National Development, I-Drive 360 opened May 2015.

• Like 1

First Tchoup Chop and now Emeril's itself is closing. Thankfully, I'm still working my way through all the new places at Disney Springs so this won't be hard to get over.

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/entertainment/2018/05/09/emerils-orlando-citywalk-to-close

From News13

While waiting for another park at USF, here comes a second gate at Legoland:

Legoland Florida announces new theme park, set for 2019 debut
http://bit.ly/2KbmaL0

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

First Tchoup Chop and now Emeril's itself is closing. Thankfully, I'm still working my way through all the new places at Disney Springs so this won't be hard to get over.

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/entertainment/2018/05/09/emerils-orlando-citywalk-to-close

From News13

While waiting for another park at USF, here comes a second gate at Legoland:

Legoland Florida announces new theme park, set for 2019 debut
http://bit.ly/2KbmaL0

From the Sentinel

Erm, is that a second gate? It appears to just be a large expansion of the existing first gate, probably with the goal to make it a full day park...

25 minutes ago, aent said:

Erm, is that a second gate? It appears to just be a large expansion of the existing first gate, probably with the goal to make it a full day park...

It's a new land within the existing park. The name, "Lego Movie World," is what's *likely* throwing people off. 

If LLF was to add a second gate (or 3rd if you count the water park as it's 2nd) my vote is for Cypress Gardens to be it's own gate but that would be hard with the current park layout. 

The blog post for this mentioned two new rides. Permits show a large building and a small kiddie flat ride. Chima is getting remodeled. It's not clear (at least to me) if redone Chima is the 2nd new ride or if the land will have 3 rides, 2 being new. Previously, the thought was the bldg was a large dark ride, similar to the haunted house going to one of the European Legolands. The blog post mentioned character meet-and-greets. The bldg could house that despite a small outdoor M&G looking area on the other side of the land. 

Edited by klstorey

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Sentinel headline said "new theme park" which sounds like a separate gate while the article was vague. Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen.

Personally, I'm still missing Island In the Sky, but I'm a geezer.

A geezer who doesn't care about the real important issues like jobs and education!!!! :angry:

tenor.gif?itemid=4920592

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Sentinel headline said "new theme park" which sounds like a separate gate while the article was vague. Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen.

Personally, I'm still missing Island In the Sky, but I'm a geezer.

I think they edited the article after you posted it, to be fair. I'm still disappointed Legoland was built so far out, I wish they could have got the Artegon land way back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updates on possible new resorts at the Epcot entrance and at Fort Wilderness:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/new-hotels-fort-wilderness-epcot-entrance/

From Disney Tourist Blog

A bunch of permits have been pulled with SFWMD on these, so it looks like something will go forward sooner or later.

I also liked the discussion of a back and forth going on at Disney right now regarding whether resorts should invest in heavy theming as they did in the past or go mostly generic and concentrate on the luxury amenities and location.

Orlando blows the old record away with 72 million visitors in 2017, beating the previous record by 4 million.

We also rocketed past our major competition, both NYC and Vegas.

At least now we know why the traffic seems worse.

72 million tourists visited Orlando in 2017, a record number
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-visit-orlando-tourism-2017-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 12:29 PM, dcluley98 said:

I have heard there are multiple hotels planned for the new Universal area, including two high end hotels (not 7-star, lol, but maybe 4 or 5) as well as some cheaper ones where Wet-N-Wild used to be. Don't know the details but word on the street is a billion dollars worth of hotel construction. 

So, the Wet n Wild property Uni hotels were announced months ago; one on the water, and a larger one where WnW's parking lot etc was.  What are the other hotels that you've heard about?  I heard the $billion number too but that includes a new theme park.

39 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, the Wet n Wild property Uni hotels were announced months ago; one on the water, and a larger one where WnW's parking lot etc was.  What are the other hotels that you've heard about?  I heard the $billion number too but that includes a new theme park.

Yep, Wet'n Wild ones are the Surfside Inn and Suites, and Dockside Inn and Suites. They are going to be built first, serve a more budget option and tie into existing parks with shuttle/transportation across I-4 from Universal Blvd.  Surfside is the one by the lake, dockside will be the one across the blvd on the parking lot. 

The other two I heard about are associated with the new theme park, on the land they just bought in the vicinity of the convention center. (Think across from tradeshow way on Universal Blvd for main entrance area). These have not been announced and are under NDA, so nobody from universal will talk about them. They are supposedly higher end "resort style" hotels that could be on property of the new park a la Grand Floridian/Polynesian/Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary Resort at Disney, and also may cater to convention center business. I do not have details, just rumors, because they are not releasing it at this time. They will be much later timeline along with new park (probably 2024-2025). The $Billion I heard was in reference to just the hotels, not the park itself. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yep, Wet'n Wild ones are the Surfside Inn and Suites, and Dockside Inn and Suites. They are going to be built first, serve a more budget option and tie into existing parks with shuttle/transportation across I-4 from Universal Blvd.  Surfside is the one by the lake, dockside will be the one across the blvd on the parking lot. 

The other two I heard about are associated with the new theme park, on the land they just bought in the vicinity of the convention center. (Think across from tradeshow way on Universal Blvd for main entrance area). These have not been announced and are under NDA, so nobody from universal will talk about them. They are supposedly higher end "resort style" hotels that could be on property of the new park a la Grand Floridian/Polynesian/Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary Resort at Disney, and also may cater to convention center business. I do not have details, just rumors, because they are not releasing it at this time. They will be much later timeline along with new park (probably 2024-2025). The $Billion I heard was in reference to just the hotels, not the park itself. 

At the risk of sounding like Spock...fascinating.  That's a lot of new hotel cheddar if it's independent of the planned theme park.

Not really all that much money. . . Aventura hotel was 600 rooms and had $92 million construction cost. Surfside will have 750 rooms and Dockside will have 2,050 for a total of 2,800, with the majority being suites and extensive sitework associate with 3 pool deck and 2 food court areas. Aventura is a pretty standard hotel. Just going by room count alone, I would say construction cost of those two projects could be well over $400 million.  Two more "resort style" hotels that would be much higher end construction and cost more per SF would easily put it over a billion. I have heard that Universal is shooting for over 10,000 rooms and probably more eventually as they build out the new park. 

On 5/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, dcluley98 said:

LOL, somebody might want to tell them to hurry up and buy the domain.  

If I were a jerk, I would buy it right now and hold it hostage for an exorbitant amount of money. 

:tw_joy:

It looks like they're using the domain iconorlando.com, but they may want to buy iconorlando360.com just in case.

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

At the time of the press release. It was directing to GoDaddy.com with a price of $69.99 to buy it. Obviously they figured it out since then, but major mistake by marketing team there announcing the domain before webmaster bought the rights.  

You read it wrong. The site was never meant to be live until Monday. The $69.99 fee is not to buy it...... but them to try contact the owner to make an offer.  They owned it all along. Go to iconorlando.net, still lands on godaddy and you can read their verbiage about the $69.99 service.  They probably own that too. However, .pro., .org, .io, and .online are still available. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Shardoon for the clarification. I think if I were going to make a press release, I would have at least made a splash page of "coming soon" or something. Didn't understand that they bought it, thought it was still for sale based upon it going to the domain site with a price.  

Either way, I welcome all the stuff they are doing. I hope they build that Poler-coaster thing. It looks crazy and will be the tallest building in central Florida if built. 

Edited by dcluley98