Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Thank you Shardoon for the clarification. I think if I were going to make a press release, I would have at least made a splash page of "coming soon" or something. Didn't understand that they bought it, thought it was still for sale based upon it going to the domain site with a price.  

Either way, I welcome all the stuff they are doing. I hope they build that Poler-coaster thing. It looks crazy and will be the tallest building in central Florida if built. 

Polercoaster is a different own (Wallack from Mango's not Whittall of Unicorp).

But 360 does have a number of other attractions in the works including a zipline, ropes course, and possibly another tower ride. Plus Whittall is still brainstorming ideas for the top of the parking garage after the heliport was voted down by the county.  And don't forget the new hotel replace McFadden's and the apartments in the surface lot behind the wheel. 

We should start to hear some Skyplex/Polercoaster news soon. Wallack has said from day one that his plan was to open Mango's, then open the Hollywood Plaza, then open Skyplex. The Hollywood Plaza is opening by the middle of this year. That will bring with it the expanded Hulk beach shop (and new VR experience), a second retail store, the rooftop restaurant, plus the garage which will allow for Mango's to open its rooftop (it wasn't able to before due to parking restrictions). 

• Like 4

Thank you, also, Klstorey. Wrong twice quickly in succession. Sorry, I conflated the two, so thanks for clarifying.

I really want to see the Skyplex/Poler-coaster happen. I see Icon actually making stuff happen with the wheel and the StarFlyer. Building some interesting stuff. You could not get me to ride the StarFlyer in this lifetime, but I would get on the Poler-Coaster and go for a few rides. :tw_glasses:

I agree. The more interesting attractions in that area the better. When Phase 2 of 360 is done it'll have a good ride lineup. Skyplex will have with it the roller coaster, drop tower, zipline, observation deck, VR arcade, and retail. The next big key to this area being successful is the Sand Lake Road pedestrian bridge that will link everything. 

Don't forget about I-Shops either. That surface lot behind the restaurants and Walgreens is approved for a garage and the hotel there is approved for more retail and another garage. In a few years, this entire area will look completely different. It's really becoming a walkable tourist district. 

And that doesn't even include any of the stuff happening on Universal Blvd like Ripley's and Universal! 

Here's a very very old site plan for the full buildout. I think the garage was flipped and the second one added on the right side since this plan but I can't find the updated site plan. Also, the Walgreens is a bit different and the Wawa has been added to the top right. 

1245081851_i-shopslive3.JPG.3596923bc944252155de6505f5a7b722.JPG

And here's a very bad image of Phase one, which we currently have.

5_24.2012_I-Shopes.JPG.f84e57d148ba9cdfa4f718b222959643.JPG

Edited by klstorey

On 5/8/2018 at 9:12 AM, shardoon said:

Breaking news......... isquare has 18 months to come up with the money or forfeit the property. Technically out of foreclosure..... temporarily lol.  

Westwood blvd 1200 room convention hotel moving along slowly, looking to break ground next year under a national brand. 

what hotel is this?

DCS is the company developing the JW Marriott at Bonnet Creek.

So, they may be staying with the Marriott brand for the 1,200 rm hotel off of Westwood.  They want a luxury brand.  So, personally, I don't think they would build a 1,200 rm Ritz Carlton; I don't think Orlando can absorb 2 (but what do I know, Orlando is going to have 2 JW's).  But, Marriott's flag also includes W Hotels, Marquis, Sheraton, Renaissance, and Westin.  Westin on Universal Blvd. closed and was bought by Hilton a couple of years back, so Westin is in the mix.

I've never really seen a luxury Sheraton beyond convention-class, nor a Renaissance.  But I think the most likely flags will be W Hotel, Marquis, or Westin.

...for those that give a rip... 

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

DCS is the company developing the JW Marriott at Bonnet Creek.

So, they may be staying with the Marriott brand for the 1,200 rm hotel off of Westwood.  They want a luxury brand.  So, personally, I don't think they would build a 1,200 rm Ritz Carlton; I don't think Orlando can absorb 2 (but what do I know, Orlando is going to have 2 JW's).  But, Marriott's flag also includes W Hotels, Marquis, Sheraton, Renaissance, and Westin.  Westin on Universal Blvd. closed and was bought by Hilton a couple of years back, so Westin is in the mix.

I've never really seen a luxury Sheraton beyond convention-class, nor a Renaissance.  But I think the most likely flags will be W Hotel, Marquis, or Westin.

...for those that give a rip... 

Does this end up right in the nook of the interchange, on the North side of Westwood? A property that size (similar room count to the Hilton) up against the highway will have a lot of presence. Once the interchange is completed to include express lanes, I would think that most of the overgrown vegetation there would be cut back. Hope they don't skimp on design.  

6 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Does this end up right in the nook of the interchange, on the North side of Westwood? A property that size (similar room count to the Hilton) up against the highway will have a lot of presence. Once the interchange is completed to include express lanes, I would think that most of the overgrown vegetation there would be cut back. Hope they don't skimp on design.  

we'll know more in 30 days or the end of may per that prior article.  That's when they announce the flag.  It will be a parcel north of the bridge over 528.  too bad it won't border that bridge.  I just wish they would develop that parcel behind Hyatt where The Carlson Hotel was proposed back before Hilton Orlando opened up.

Theme parks don't actually release attendance numbers so we have to rely on estimates - TEA is generally well regarded for being on point.

The 2017 worldwide numbers are out and, although there's a perception Harry Potter sent Universal Studios Florida rocketing past Disney's Florida parks, such is not the case.

The Mouse's Florida properties came in at #1, 6, 7 and 8 respectively while the USF parks came in at #9 and 10. This despite Disney's Hollywood Studios losing 0.5% due to the loss of major attractions like The Great Movie Ride as most of the park is reinvented.

Sea World Florida of course took a big hit last year but may now be recovering.

http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_235_103719_170601.pdf

From Themed Entertainment Association

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

^^

Yeah, I saw that about Universal's numbers.  I think Disney Parks will always be busier because of those multi-day passes they have and the fact that they have most of the visitors, which means a ton of people attend even their "weakest" parks more than at Universal.  I think the new resorts at Universal is an attempt at countering this (and the new theme park).

WDW has also mastered the art of events.  Food & Wine; Flower & Garden; the defunct Super Soap Weekend; Star Wars Weekends; the Halloween and Christmas events; etc.  And the parades and fireworks shows nightly.

Universal needs to beef up the fireworks show; maybe by launching them from a more central location between the two parks, and launch them higher.

I think they have an opportunity with the new park to make it larger and more Epcot-ish.  But I would start planting buffer trees now  between their new property and Martin's property.

• Like 1

WDW News Today is reporting that the Main Street USA theater project is officially cancelled based on updated permits with SFWMD.

They had previously suggested that funds for this project were being diverted to an upgrade of the monorail system. While that's still not official, it looks more plausible now.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/confirmed-new-permit-reveals-main-street-theater-project-is-completely-cancelled/

• Like 1

Neither here nor there, but the Mickey Ears solar farm at EPCOT looks like it grew.  there is another smaller solar array area to the NW along the edge where the exit ramps are...

It's on Google satellite view.  Actually, that's not really satellite view is it?  Looks more like regular airplane height photos assembled into a mosaic.  

• Like 1

Forbes has a fascinating piece on how Miami is maxing out for international real estate investors and they're headed to Orlando.

Don't expect the 50-story towers they got in Miami, though. In Miami it was all about luxury and in Orlando it's family and the theme parks.

So, we're going to get that investment, just in endless resort-style subdivisions instead of downtown towers. Sorry, guys.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2018/05/20/disney-expansion-turning-orlando-into-hot-spot-for-brazil-real-estate-investors/amp/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Forbes has a fascinating piece on how Miami is maxing out for international real estate investors and they're headed to Orlando.

Don't expect the 50-story towers they got in Miami, though. In Miami it was all about luxury and in Orlando it's family and the theme parks.

So, we're going to get that investment, just in endless resort-style subdivisions instead of downtown towers. Sorry, guys.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2018/05/20/disney-expansion-turning-orlando-into-hot-spot-for-brazil-real-estate-investors/amp/

I want Westgate and Shingle Creek downtown.

I thought when you said open Orlando to the world...I am just expecting a Fogo De Chao downtown...