Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another possible mixed use on the way?

:huh:

2. KJR-GRANBY, LLC., to change the zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) District to G-1 (Granby/Monticello Corridor Mixed Use District) on property located on the southeast corner of 19th Street and Granby Street; property fronts 150 feet, more or less, along the southern line of 19th Street and 194 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Granby Street; property also fronts 50 feet, more or less, along the northern line of 18th Street; premises numbered 1802 to 1812 Granby Street. The General Plan of Norfolk depicts this site as commercial/office. The purpose of the rezoning is to permit residential construction.

Curious, in my searchings I found this submitted in September of last year.

1. ROBERT WRIGHT, for a change of zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to G-1 (Granby/Monticello Corridor Mixed Use) district on property located on the southeast corner of 19th Street and Granby Street, fronting 150 feet along the southern line of 19th Street and 210 feet along the eastern line of Granby Street; premises numbered 1802-1812 Granby. The intent of the change of zoning is to permit the development of a multiple family residential. The General Plan of Norfolk, 1992 depicts the property as commercial/office.

It's is obvious that this is connected and it appears that Mr. Bobby Wright has a mixed use, residential planned for that area. I don't know if it's been in the papers yet or not. I'm currently searching the site to see if we have any articles listed about projects in that area.

Is this close to the row at Ghent project?

Another possible mixed use on the way?

:huh:

2.  KJR-GRANBY, LLC., to change the zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) District to G-1 (Granby/Monticello Corridor Mixed Use District) on property located on the southeast corner of 19th Street and Granby Street; property fronts 150 feet, more or less, along the southern line of 19th Street and 194 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Granby Street; property also fronts 50 feet, more or less, along the northern line of 18th Street; premises numbered 1802 to 1812 Granby Street. The General Plan of Norfolk depicts this site as commercial/office. The purpose of the rezoning is to permit residential construction.

Curious, in my searchings I found this submitted in September of last year.

1. ROBERT WRIGHT, for a change of zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to G-1 (Granby/Monticello Corridor Mixed Use) district on property located on the southeast corner of 19th Street and Granby Street, fronting 150 feet along the southern line of 19th Street and 210 feet along the eastern line of Granby Street; premises numbered 1802-1812 Granby. The intent of the change of zoning is to permit the development of a multiple family residential. The General Plan of Norfolk, 1992 depicts the property as commercial/office.

It's is obvious that this is connected and it appears that Mr. Bobby Wright has a mixed use, residential planned for that area. I don't know if it's been in the papers yet or not. I'm currently searching the site to see if we have any articles listed about projects in that area.

Is this close to the row at Ghent project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is very close to that project. I have to go look and see whats at 19th street and Granby right now. It sounds like its on the corner of Ghent Elementary School.

Just a thought, I think that the former suntrust building could have been twice its present height if they could of put one half (left side) on top of the right half. this would have also freed up extra space and it could of been 40 stories and it still would have been a great building just with extra height, what cha think!

Just a thought, I think that the former suntrust building could have been twice its present height if they could of put one half (left side) on top of the right half. this would have also freed up extra space and it could of been 40 stories and it still would have been a great building just with extra height, what cha think!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that would've been good but Norfolk seems to like em short and stubby. :lol: I'm hoping that Granby Tower, if it goes through (there has been a curious silence as of late :blink: ) will change that a little bit.

I think that would've been good but Norfolk seems to like em short and stubby.  :lol: I'm hoping that Granby Tower, if it goes through (there has been a curious silence as of late  :blink: ) will change that a little bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes lets hope that it comes about. I don't know how I will feel if Granby Tower doesn't happen. I'm hoping that we might push the 40 range now!

For Norfolk to be a respectable DT we need to have at least one 500 footer.

We will get no respect W/O one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not true. I'm worried about bringing in more white collar jobs than if the buildings reach a certain height. I think the only way we get respect is in density and in amount of high paying jobs that DT brings in. We need something beyond the ports to bring in the money. I too want a couple 500 footers but would sacrafice it for some corporations landing in DT Norfolk!

Robin Development, who is the developer for such projects as 150 West Main street and Town Point Center, has a pretty cool website. Aren't they also the developer for Trader Tower or some other kind of new Norfolk development??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This website is brand spanking new. :o Interesting. I'll have to search through it to see what I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

This was discussed by the design review committee this week:

"Discussion Only: ODU Village Hotel

John Maddux & Jaime Garcia of RRMM Architects"

Anyone know anymore info about this? It was not very informative and I'm wondering if we've discussed this hotel here previously.

"Discussion Only:  ODU Village Hotel

Anyone know anymore info about this? It was not very informative and I'm wondering if we've discussed this hotel here previously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was reading that to from the city council update email and it was vague. Is that where you got it from?

"Discussion Only:  ODU Village Hotel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to let you know RRMM Architects (Ripley, Rodriguez, motley and Maddox Architects)(I may have gotten these out of order.) is one of the largest school architects in the region. They have designed many of the public shcool buildings in the past 10 years. We have worked with them on several schools in gloucester county. That should give you a hint as to why the city would be meeting with them.

Just to let you know RRMM Architects (Ripley, Rodriguez, motley and Maddox Architects)(I may have gotten these out of order.) is one of the largest school architects in the region.  They have designed many of the public shcool buildings in the past 10 years.  We have worked with them on several schools in gloucester county.  That should give you a hint as to why the city would be meeting with them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info Urbanfan as usual. :thumbsup:

I remember hearing about an ODU hotel project as part of the University Village development. They're also suppose to be building a supermarket within a small shopping center at 38th and Hampton Blvd. I've seen the plans for this somewhere (maybe on the Norfolk Development site?)... my memory is failing me right now. :wacko:

I wonder if it will have a little bit of height on it. I hope its nice! I wonder what else they have planned for ODU. They never said all of the future projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't count on any height much less a 4-star or even 3-star hotel there. The president of ODU discussed recently completed projects, current projects, and revealed all upcoming projects for the next 5 years to new transfer students (myself included) at a lunch preview event in mid-August. In regard to the current project taking place across from the Convocation center, it is planned to be first floor retail on the Eastern half (the half furthest from Hampton Blvd) of the site topped off with a parking garage. The Western half of the site is a planned 100-room "Welcome" hotel with some office space. I would give you all the projects he unveiled to us that day but some are still to far off to consider concrete including a possible football stadium which actually was not even mentioned <_< The next project to begin at ODU is set to start early next year on part of the main overflow parking lot (aka Lot 27) for a small parking garage and a new building for student recreation including a new gym, etc. That's all I can say right now about ODU's future. Even though I'm in my first semester at ODU, I doubt I'll still be an ODU student when a bulk of the newly announced projects are completed (despite helping pay for them through tuition, student fees and other dues :angry: )

Archived