Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the recent announcement of the merger between Obici Hospital and Norfolk-based Sentara do you think we will see a Sentara Tower on the horizon? And if so, where do you think it will be built? The most logical place for me would be within the Fort Norfolk area. Now, before you shoot the idea down let me inform you on something that you may or may not have seen. Several years ago when Fort Norfolk was just a pipe dream there was billboard attached to the old warehouse where Harbor's Edge now sits. On that billboard was a rendering of a futuristic looking office/medical tower along with a few other smaller buildings. Now, I'm not sure if it was a Sentara building or some artist's dream, but if it was medical in nature Sentara is the largest game in town. Maybe plans have changed and I'm just dreaming too much, but I thought might bring it up for us to discuss.

With the recent announcement of the merger between Obici Hospital and Norfolk-based Sentara do you think we will see a Sentara Tower on the horizon? And if so, where do you think it will be built? The most logical place for me would be within the Fort Norfolk area. Now, before you shoot the idea down let me inform you on something that you may or may not have seen. Several years ago when Fort Norfolk was just a pipe dream there was billboard attached to the old warehouse where Harbor's Edge now sits. On that billboard was a rendering of a futuristic looking office/medical tower along with a few other smaller buildings. Now, I'm not sure if it was a Sentara building or some artist's dream, but if it was medical in nature Sentara is the largest game in town. Maybe plans have changed and I'm just dreaming too much, but I thought might bring it up for us to discuss.

I think it would be nice to bring a tower there, especially with all of the medical buildings around. Lets hope that you are right! Maybe they can move into that new tower if it gets built DT. :thumbsup:

I don't know if Sentara will leave their building that they have by Costco. It would be nice to see them move DT or Fort Norfolk!

A Sentara Office building could be a fine addition. I believe that a signature tower could be a sensitive issue, however. Anybody seen the Humana tower in Louisville? It's one of Michael Graves best, but it makes me a bit leery of the impersonal money machines some medical health providers have become. Nevertheless, medicine is probably one of Hampton Roads's next big growth industries.

On the Town Center subject. It is a competitor to downtown Norfolk in that it can place financial and legal services closer to their clientele in the large and relatively wealthy Va. Beach suburbs. It's not quite the same as the back office "edge cities" that popped up during the '80s and '90s. It reminds me more of Walnut Creek, California than say Concord or Pleasant Hill, if you know the Bay Area (where I lived for a long time). Town center is a spectacular success, but it's long term growth potential may be somewhat limited in that most of the future growth in South Hampton Roads will probably occur in the Western part of the region. In turn, that will help strengthen downtown Norfolk as the true center (if we can just get the damned Midtown Tunnel expanded).

While not a player in the high rise/big development arena, this company is a major player in downtown Norfolk redevelopment and one to be aware of:

http://www.thewrightsites.com/

Well, since i used to go to ODU and know this area very well, I went ahead and bought a condo on Granby tower. I belive I have made the right decision? any future owners of condo on Granby?!?!

Well, since i used to go to ODU and know this area very well, I went ahead and bought a condo on Granby tower. I belive I have made the right decision? any future owners of condo on Granby?!?!

Yay another new one! :lol: If i may ask how did you find the site? We have had such an influx of new users this week I'm really starting to wonder :unsure: . Also, you made a great purchase in Granby Tower but I trust that they fully informed you of the situation with the GSA correct? If so, have they informed you whether the GSA has come to any final decisions as to whether they will seek to condemn this project?

We plan on living downtown and not renting. I've seen the wright sites web site; it looks great. The comments about bike riding in the area make it even better; Are the sidewalks in good enough for roller blades? We haven't actually been inside 500 but we'll be making contact soon. Trying to do homework first.

Thanks for all your help, I'm sticking around.

This is great! Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing of the upcoming sale as well. Hope all goes well with GSA and such.

Hey Vdogg, this site is growing almost as fast as downtown Norfolk!

I believe that downtown Norfolk will really explode in the near future with pending developments on the downtown plaza site and the property north of brambleton. Welcome to all the new forum members and I hope that you all will be regular posters as I love to read more so than posting myself personally.

Excellent job done Vdogg keeping us informed on current events happening in our entire region.

Hey Vdogg, this site is growing almost as fast as downtown Norfolk!

I believe that downtown Norfolk will really explode in the near future with pending developments on the downtown plaza site and the property north of brambleton. Welcome to all the new forum members and I hope that you all will be regular posters as I love to read more so than posting myself personally.

Excellent job done Vdogg keeping us informed on current events happening in our entire region.

Wow, where the heck have you been Kr? :huh:

Thanks for such a nice welcome!

Vdogg,

I should have looked at the VB forum before bagging on the Pembroke area a little bit. It's very nice to know they have a good plan and I appreciate you pointing that out for me. I guess I'll have to take some time and look around on that forum too!

And just to let you all know, I found this site very easily when I googled 'Norfolk development va' a few weeks ago. I didnt want to post until I caught up. That was quite a task! But well worth it!!

Thanks all!

Thanks for such a nice welcome!

Vdogg,

I should have looked at the VB forum before bagging on the Pembroke area a little bit. It's very nice to know they have a good plan and I appreciate you pointing that out for me. I guess I'll have to take some time and look around on that forum too!

And just to let you all know, I found this site very easily when I googled 'Norfolk development va' a few weeks ago. I didnt want to post until I caught up. That was quite a task! But well worth it!!

Thanks all!

Well hope to hear your input on these subjects.

12-acre waterfront parcel acquired for strategic redevelopment project

"Norfolk, Va. - Collins Enterprises, LLC recently purchased Riverside Terrace in Norfolk, a 12-acre waterfront parcel just off Newport Avenue in Norfolk's Wards Corner area. Located on Crabs Creek just off the Lafayette River, the acreage currently has 232 apartments on site. While no specific plans are confirmed for the property at this time, it is situated in a redevelopment area identified by the city's development office. Drucker & Falk have been retained to manage the apartment complex.".............

12-acre waterfront parcel acquired for strategic redevelopment project

"Norfolk, Va. - Collins Enterprises, LLC recently purchased Riverside Terrace in Norfolk, a 12-acre waterfront parcel just off Newport Avenue in Norfolk's Wards Corner area. Located on Crabs Creek just off the Lafayette River, the acreage currently has 232 apartments on site. While no specific plans are confirmed for the property at this time, it is situated in a redevelopment area identified by the city's development office. Drucker & Falk have been retained to manage the apartment complex.".............

I just hope what ever they build it will be urban and not one of these broad creeks. Sometimes the city should push for more urban projects.

Just a little update on the property that was on bramblton that was bought to become condos.

I'm talking about the building that was up for sale that was part of city of norfolk HR department(i think)?

Driving by yesterday I saw a sign on the out side that had the developers name and "large & mid size condos coming soon".

I didn't get a good look at the sign but im gonna try to get more info tonight while going home.

I think we were still not sure if they were gonna demo. the building or use the existing building. Not sure how they were gonna work it, but i guess we'll know soon.

This is my response to a post in the Transportation thread, but it seems more appropriate here:

Best Buy and Circuit City have smaller stores for urban markets. A CC in Santa Monica is 2 sotries with music, movie and computers on the second floor. The BB near UCLA doesn't have an appliance department and has a scaled back TV department to fit in its small single story location. I know some malls used to have a CC Express, iand some may still be open. Also, there's a 3-story B&N in Santa Monica, a 3-story Gap and an 8-story Marshall-Field's in Chicago, and a 5-story Nordstorm in San Fran. If the market is there, retailers will find ways to get in. Three questions may be holding downtown back: what will happen to Downtown Plaza, what will happen to the 3rd anchor at MacArthur, and are there enough residents. The last one should be answered when more housing opens up in the next couple of years. The first one will be answered once the study is finished. The second one will be answered once Macy's succeeds in this market (i.e. Bloomingdale's).

Just a little update on the property that was on bramblton that was bought to become condos.

I'm talking about the building that was up for sale that was part of city of norfolk HR department(i think)?

Driving by yesterday I saw a sign on the out side that had the developers name and "large & mid size condos coming soon".

I didn't get a good look at the sign but im gonna try to get more info tonight while going home.

I think we were still not sure if they were gonna demo. the building or use the existing building. Not sure how they were gonna work it, but i guess we'll know soon.

I hope that its a demo and its at least 10 stories. Since Kalidas was told to change the build from 7 stories to 18-20 I wonder if the city told them to do the same thing since its on the busy section of Brambleton too! I hope so. Another 15-20 story building would look nice dude! :thumbsup:

Kalidas

:huh: You me Kotarides right? Man, when you butcher a name you do it in style. :lol: j/k

Another 15-20 story building would look nice dude!

That would make for 3 15-20 story buildings announced on Brambleton in the last 2 months. (kotarides, hofflers, and now this if that's what they're going for). Brambletons gonna turn into a canyon in about 10 or so years. :)

Archived