Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

I'm sorry, the new one I am hinting at, I have no clue how tall it will be, just where it will be and who will be in it. I doubt it would be over 20 stories though.

I am confused. First you "promised" that Greenville will have the state's new tallest building, and when someone asked you how you know, you said "because I'm involved." Now are you saying that the one you are involved with will not be as tall? I assume this is the Bob Ellis building you are referring to. Please clear some things up for us. I am sure that is possible to do without compromising your position with projects you are working on. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, the one Bob is working on should be a new tallest (unless something taller is built before it is complete, or unless plans change, which they already have once), that is the one I am involved with (land aquisition).

The other one I know about, that I first mentioned today, I have no clue how tall it will be, I just heard it described as a highrise. When I mentioned it, I never meant to imply that this one would be a tallest.

Does that clear things up?

Ok, the one Bob is working on should be a new tallest (unless something taller is built before it is complete, or unless plans change, which they already have once), that is the one I am involved with (land aquisition).

The other one I know about, that I first mentioned today, I have no clue how tall it will be, I just heard it described as a highrise. When I mentioned it, I never meant to imply that this one would be a tallest.

Does that clear things up?

Thanks btoy, that clears a lot of things up. I now understand what you meant earlier.

I hope this newest Bob Ellis project (the "new tallest") is different in scope than his Pinnacle on Main. While I am sure it will eventually happen (he has said recently that it is very close), it sure has taken a lot longer than originally thought. And the Pinnacle is going to be 14 stories, mixed use, but with some very expensive condos.

It sure is exciting to actually have something to buzz about in this category! As many have mentioned, there's little doubt that once the announcement is made and construction nears, a high-rise war is likely. My main concern with these new towers is that they should have a dramatic, iconic rooftop structure. :shades:

Btoy, you are the king of teasers! :lol:

The way you describe Bob's tower, it sounds as if it is very likely ("before it is complete"). Can you sehd any light on how likely it actually is, and when we could expect any proposal or start date? Just how tall will it be?

All I meant by "before it is complete" was to say that these things take time, and so other project may get a jump on it. I do not know of another, but others have been hinted on here, such as the Washington st. project. And Mytle Beach is definatley a contender as well.

I hope all SC cities will stand tall, I ain't biased (G'ville, Cola, Chas, MB). I say just do it!

I hope you aren't holding you breath on Charleston going vertical anytime soon. Many people in Charleston seem intent on keeping the old town/historical feel going, complete with the current height restrictions. It could change, but they will almost certainly be the last in the group to have a significant skyline.

it'll be close between Columbia and Myrtle Beach, but i think Columbia will win. it'll be a mixed, and upscale, hotel/condo building catering to state senators, yuppies and the like. ;) seriously though, i've always been suprised with the number and height of residential towers in downtown Columbia...Cornell Arms, Claire Tower, the two on Senate Street, the fugly one by Elmwood, not to mention there's several around downtown.

it would probably be a Novare building, like Viridian in Nashville.

I'm dying to know where the uptown tower in Greenville will be... I wish it were going to be in the city center district of downtown. The North End having the tallest tower will make it stand off on its own and be a bookend for our skyline. But maybe one day it will be the center of our skyline and not at the end...

All I meant by "before it is complete" was to say that these things take time, and so other project may get a jump on it. I do not know of another, but others have been hinted on here, such as the Washington st. project. And Mytle Beach is definatley a contender as well.

Understood. But I was asking more that, it sounds like you are pretty certain this project is going to happen (as evidenced by your remark). In other words, you seem confident that it will be completed. So, how likely is the project, and when could we expect any proposal/ announcement?

Archived