Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody have any pictures of greenville comming down 29 from spartanburg. Ive always liked that view. I also would like to see some skyline shots from 123 comming from easley. Columbia's skyline is better than greenville's but hopefully greenville will build a few more towers someday like they are already planning to do.

I don't have shots from the locations that you mentioned, but i have this view from South Pleasantburg. It's pretty inclusive, except for Scott towers that I missed in this frame off to the left...

207619006_d2493ae846_b.jpg

Did you take this from your car? I'm on Pleasantburg pretty regularly and I don't know that I've seen this view.... maybe I just need to look to the left though :)

Did you take this from your car? I'm on Pleasantburg pretty regularly and I don't know that I've seen this view.... maybe I just need to look to the left though :)

Well, in my car in the parking lot of Eastlan Baptist Church... :) Pleasantburg is the street with the truck on it at the bottom right. So, it's actually looking over Pleasantburg, not from Pleasantburg, but I didn't make that clear. This hill is nice because you can see the skyline, but the hills between this area and downtown and the hills downtown take out a lot of what you could most likely see if it were sitting in a flatter area... it's an 'ok' trade off i guess

Does anybody have any pictures of greenville comming down 29 from spartanburg. Ive always liked that view. I also would like to see some skyline shots from 123 comming from easley. Columbia's skyline is better than greenville's but hopefully greenville will build a few more towers someday like they are already planning to do.

More towers are on the way, that much is sure.

Here is a shot gsupstate took last year from Wade Hampton Blvd (U.S. 29):

DTGville.jpg

Here is what it could look like with the Pinnacle on Main, a new signature tower, and the signs quickly "mowed away:

DTGville3c.jpg

This is a unique angle showing several of the downtown highrises. Now imagine the infill of new towers coming soon.

GreenvilleSkyline2-1.jpg

This one?

pano%20from%20I%2077.jpg

Yes, that is the shot I'm talking about. It's one of the best, although in this photo you can't really see the Meridian and the new First Citizens tower had not been built. That picture should extend further to the right, showing Williams-Brice and the new condos going up there.

Here are a couple of shots (not my pictures) from Jarvis Klapman Blvd in West Columbia. It's an awesome view driving towards the city.

sc-012_eb_at_9th_st.jpg

sc-012_eb_app_us-378.jpg

I would like to see Columbia filling in the gaps to the Bank of America tower.It's left out and isolated to it's self and usually it's left of out Columbia skyline shots. Really I don't think any of the carolina cities should break the 349 cap, cause anything too high would stick out like a sore thumb compare to all the other towers. I think Columbia could support something like this before any other s.c. city besides MB. But I would like to see more infill before we just start throwing up towers with 40-50 floors.

More towers are on the way, that much is sure.

Here is a shot gsupstate took last year from Wade Hampton Blvd (U.S. 29):

DTGville.jpg

Here is what it could look like with the Pinnacle on Main, a new signature tower, and the signs quickly "mowed away:

DTGville3c.jpg

This is a unique angle showing several of the downtown highrises. Now imagine the infill of new towers coming soon.

GreenvilleSkyline2-1.jpg

I can't think of anywhere in Columbia where you can be this close to downtown and be on a suburban thoroughfare. I prefer urban density spread over a larger area to height.

Believe me, there is plenty of urban density spread around the city, and more continually on the way. I know it is a rival thing to discount another city, but there are plenty of great things happening here that can't be seen unless you live here or visit for awhile. The same is true for each of the growing cities and towns throughout the state. There just is no way to convey an accurate sense of the level of growth in a few photos. ;)

When you live in a city you know a lot more about it. if you dont live in columbia you wont know every job that is being built so it is hard to know. It did feel very similiar traffic wise to greenville however I loved the capital building and all the statues and monuments. It was cool comming down 26 into columbia and seeing the skyline. I liked their bank of america better than our box one. I think it would be cool to see greenville, columbia, and myrtle beach all keep growing. Remember how mad the people in birmingham, al are about no growth and loosing population? I would like to add a note that riverplace filled in a spot that was empty especially when you come in from 123 easley, and across the 29 bridge leaving downtown or comming into downtown. We do need a few more bigger buildings. What is the word on the state tallest anyway that btoy was talking about? he seems to have vanished. One thing that is for sure is that 85 from laurens road to woodruff road is going to be pretty incredible in the future. just wait and see. One other thing is that those ICAR buildings have risen quit a lot since the last time i worked over there. I was there the other day and was really impressed. I should bring my camera sometime and get a pic of it all.

You'll not get any arguement from me about colas skyline being more impressive. But to be fair, this shot shows less than half of Gville's mid and highrises. There is not really a comperable place around Gville to take a total layout shot of DT, because there are always trees in the way from lower down spots, or hills in the way on higher up spots. Even Paris mtn does not have a very impressive of view because the angle is such that you see it from the side, not the full frontal. And as I have said before, you never see Scott Towers or St Francis tower included, and rarely see many of the mid rises that add density. I wonder if the top of roper mtn has a good view...

Well, in my car in the parking lot of Eastlan Baptist Church... :) Pleasantburg is the street with the truck on it at the bottom right. So, it's actually looking over Pleasantburg, not from Pleasantburg, but I didn't make that clear. This hill is nice because you can see the skyline, but the hills between this area and downtown and the hills downtown take out a lot of what you could most likely see if it were sitting in a flatter area... it's an 'ok' trade off i guess

Oh ok. :thumbsup: It is a good shot though.

I can't think of anywhere in Columbia where you can be this close to downtown and be on a suburban thoroughfare. I prefer urban density spread over a larger area to height.

Well, one thing is for sure: both have their fair share of billboards cluttering the landscape:

downtown%20close%20up%20from%20greystone.jpg

:rofl:

...the attached is complete fantasy of vision of Greenville's future skyline; covered up billboards with more trees :) ...yep! it's monday & i am at work but not quite fit for work. :shades:

You're awfully optimistic--and I'm talking about those trees remaining so lush! Hope your prediction is right about those, and the towers.

Greenville's skyline may be less impressive than Columbia's, but downtown Greenville beats Columbia hands down for a vibrant and thriving downtown. Especially at night, and restaurant-wise. But, that is another string!

Columbia needs more upscale restaurants downtown, or in the Vista. I am encouraged to see a new one that just opened across from Mellow Mushroom--I can't remember the name, but it looked pretty sophisticated. Please let it flourish so more ethnic, fusion, nouveau Southern, and other gourmet cuisine will follow!

Archived