Breaking the 349 foot Cap...

Hybrid0NE

Which City will be the first to do it?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which City will be the first to do it?

• Columbia
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • North Charleston
    • Charleston

...the attached is complete fantasy of vision of Greenville's future skyline; covered up billboards with more trees :) ...yep! it's monday & i am at work but not quite fit for work. :shades:

I like your creation. I really like the building you added to the right of the Landmark building!

It may not make it look this good, but with 3 cranes suppose to be going up before the end of the year it, it will be a start! :shades: Even without the buildings, the cranes will be a nice sight in addition to the one already at Riverplace!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your creation. I really like the building you added to the right of the Landmark building!

It may not make it look this good, but with 3 cranes suppose to be going up before the end of the year it, it will be a start! :shades: Even without the buildings, the cranes will be a nice sight in addition to the one already at Riverplace!

:thumbsup: Perhaps we could have the powers that be just put up about 20 large cranes and leave them there :rofl:

ha! well, we could... :silly:

If we get the urge to see lots of cranes though, we could just travel along interstate 85 :shades:

...you guys have the greatest attitude that I find quite uplifting. I am considering turning my Greenville fantasy into a painting...which I will start on tonight or this weekend. Now get on with those cranes...which always means something's going up.

thanks...that was rushed job. here's the final version called Greenville 2050 AD with two three new mixed used/residential towers in the heart of town that I am turning into a painting...acrylic on messonite... (36 x 36)....of course, the cars will have to changed...

post-800-1155665629_thumb.jpg

post-800-1155665629_thumb.jpg

The rendering looks like a slightly smaller version of Charlotte.

cool. i like charlotte's skyline & love the fact that you can see it from charlotte douglas airport. i was flying from SFO to Chicago; then to Charlotte & finally enroute to columbia by connecting ua flight (an all day event that left me exhausted with time-zone chnages...I was flying home to attend my grandmother's funeral in Lake City, SC). I remember though as we were flying over spartanburg & greenville & the pilot made the annoucement and everyone got to the windows to see greenville and spartanburg from above. that was my first glimspe at upstate South Carolina...

Why 2050? Why not 2020? :thumbsup:

Good point. I actually started painting a futuristic "GREENVILLE" last night. 2020 does sound better & I am more likely to be around moreso than 2050 when I will be 92 years young on Nov. 14th of that year...Instead of cars on the boulevard, I've outlined a SuperTransit train (similar to the Bay Area's BART) hat's enroute to downtown SPARTANBURG, which is the end of the line...

...way off the subject, but I am happy to hear PLUTO remains a planet!!!

...Painting below is similar to what my "GREENVILLE" painting will look like. This one, which I completed last Fall, is called "Village Lakes" for a short story I am writing...It's complete fantasy. Village Lakes represents my memories of Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne where I stayed), Italy (Venice...the most beautiful place I've ever seen) and a little bit of Charleston (SC)...particularly the white steeple of St. Michael's Church...

post-800-1155746805_thumb.jpg

post-800-1155746805_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know there used to be a topic on the tallest building in SC,but I couldn't find it.I would just like to point out that none of the major cities now claim the the tallest building.Abbeville SC now is the home to the tallest building in SC. Prysmian cable systems recently constructed a 375' tower along hwy 28.Has anyone been by this area recently. You can see this thing from miles away.The job is not complete but the stucture is topped out.

I know there used to be a topic on the tallest building in SC,but I couldn't find it.I would just like to point out that none of the major cities now claim the the tallest building.Abbeville SC now is the home to the tallest building in SC. Prysmian cable systems recently constructed a 375' tower along hwy 28.Has anyone been by this area recently. You can see this thing from miles away.The job is not complete but the stucture is topped out.

Its a facility for making electrical cable and the "tower" will be part of that manufacturing process. Typically cable is manufactured by a continuous process that starts with the conductors, then as the process continues, other things are added like shielding, non-conductive stranding for strength and ending with the insulation. It's usually done on a long horizontal line but they have decided to do it vertically there instead.

For some reason it reminds me of the Shot Tower. This was a tall tower build by the Confederates in Virginia on the banks of the New River. They would pour molten lead from the top of this tower down it's hollow core. As the lead traveled down it would break into small droplets then hit the water at the bottom and cool. They would now have lead shot for their shot guns. Hence the name Shot Tower. This tower is still there and can be visited at the Shot Tower state park. It's just across the NC/VA line off I-77. The building in Abbeville in many ways looks like a modern version.

Other than the odd transmission tower, I can't think any structure in SC that is taller, though I don't know if you could classify it as a building.

Actually this structure will have many different floors and will not be just a hollow tube. Monsoon you descibed this thing well it will be used to allow the cable coatings to dry more evenly saving alot of money in the long run.This process used to be done on a conveyor belt but alot of excess sheathing was wasted costing alot.The tower will allow for a more efficent coating system.This tower should be classified as a building because it will be habitable.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you all know about this cool website (The World's Best Skylines) or not, so forgive me if so. This site ranks cities' skylines around the world using a sophisticated formula:

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~egram/skylines.html

Believe it or not, Columbia makes the list way down on the last page (#412 in the world) with (as we all know) only 2 buildings over 90 meters. (What a dismal ranking for our size--just to give you an example, we are ranked less than Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Baton Rouge, Springfield (Mass. & Ill.), Lexington (Ky.), Syracuse, New Haven, and Lincoln, Nebraska for gosh sakes!) Maybe we'll move up the list as time goes on--but what a snail's pace.

I was surprised not to see Myrtle Beach at all, unlike many other oceanside resorts. Guess most of those in MB are not tall enough to qualify?

Not surprisingly, Atlanta has the 6th most impressive skyline in the U.S. (91 buildings over 90 meters). Hong Kong's skyline at almost 3.5 times that of New York City's is just ridiculously huge. :wacko: They need to stop now before their tiny island sinks!

Archived