Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

I'm amazed nobody brought this up too. I can't believe they finally gave us a decent rendering without a real reason to - no big milestone or announcement. I think it looks really good. It seems to be about 22 stories, which could be better but I especially like the glass wall and the upper tower portion. We obviously won't be seeing any remnants of the old Main St. buildings' facades. That's a bit disappointing but not unexpected. When Johnson is through making all his budget adjustments I wonder what we'll be left with.

The rendering is looking west so you can't see the Granby St buildings. Those are the facades that must be saved. All I know is that Peter Decker stipulated in the deed when he sold his old office to Norfolk that the facade had to be preserved. I doubt Fraim will do anything to upset his friend, Mr. Decker.

I'm with Padman. Time to open up the bidding on this thing. Johnson has had his chance; actually several chances. When will the City decide to enforce its extensions?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rendering is looking west so you can't see the Granby St buildings. Those are the facades that must be saved. All I know is that Peter Decker stipulated in the deed when he sold his old office to Norfolk that the facade had to be preserved. I doubt Fraim will do anything to upset his friend, Mr. Decker.

Aside from the Ikon building on the corner of Main and Granby, I don't think there was ever any danger of losing the Granby buildings - those businesses are still going to remain open. I was refering to the Ikon and Beecroft and Bull buildings that would definitely be visible from this angle.

Aside from the Ikon building on the corner of Main and Granby, I don't think there was ever any danger of losing the Granby buildings - those businesses are still going to remain open. I was refering to the Ikon and Beecroft and Bull buildings that would definitely be visible from this angle.

Oh, my bad. I had the viewpoint all wrong. The rendering is facing the northeast corner of Main & Granby, right? Thinking back, I believe they said that the IKON building would be torn down but the Granby buildings' facades would be incorporated. So you're right.

It still seems hopeful to me. I get the feeling RLJ wants to make this work. Delaying it if they have cold feet or doubts would only mean higher construction costs down the road, so it doesn't make snese to take a wait and see attitude. Also, you can put some of the blame on the city; the design delays have led to higher construction costs as well. As for attractiveness and quality, I doubt Norfolk will move forward if it's not worthy of their time and money. I believe it will either be top quality or no project at all. I'm convinced other hotel companies are still interested in Norfolk too. Still, it would be a shame if all the time spent and the chance to have a high-profile developer build a tall hotel went by the boards.

I think this project is alive, but perhaps on undeserved life support.

The image shows the most vertical and dramatic perspective possible. Imagine it from the frontal plane and you'll see how boxy and unimaginative it will really be. Also, it looks as if cheap surfaces and details will be used. Since the developers are looking for more ways to reduce costs, don't expect this to be a very attractive project. I wish that Norfolk would pull the plug on this and open up bids to more experienced developers. Minority sponsored development is a welcome thing, but hard nosed billionaires are just hard nosed billionaires. Time to get a little more hard nosed at city hall.

I agree. This looks like a stack of mis-matched boxes. The bottom several floors don't look very bad, but the gray sections look horrible. Pre-fab EIFS facade on a boring box. If this is going to be a box, it could at least have an interesting or at least attractive texture. And what's going on with the top 5 floors?

All of these sections or boxes break the building up horizontally and make it look even fatter and stumpier than it has to. A 25-story building can look sleek and tall, yet it seems many new things in Norfolk tend to be quite fat and stumpy (150 W Main, Trader, this). It makes them look even shorter than they are.

I want to see this Hilton come to Norfolk but I hope to see this concept evolve and class-up a bit first.

I agree. This looks like a stack of mis-matched boxes. The bottom several floors don't look very bad, but the gray sections look horrible. Pre-fab EIFS facade on a boring box. If this is going to be a box, it could at least have an interesting or at least attractive texture. And what's going on with the top 5 floors?

All of these sections or boxes break the building up horizontally and make it look even fatter and stumpier than it has to. A 25-story building can look sleek and tall, yet it seems many new things in Norfolk tend to be quite fat and stumpy (150 W Main, Trader, this). It makes them look even shorter than they are.

I want to see this Hilton come to Norfolk but I hope to see this concept evolve and class-up a bit first.

I agree,I'm just not satisfied with the design,it's ugly.I have tried very hard to like those renderings,it's just not happening for me.

I'd prefer they made the see through glass stairwell tinted or mirrored on the outside. Also, I'd rather they do away with teh balconies at the top. I realize that can't happen since they are condos, but the builidng would look taller if it was closed windows all the way up.

I'd prefer they made the see through glass stairwell tinted or mirrored on the outside. Also, I'd rather they do away with teh balconies at the top. I realize that can't happen since they are condos, but the builidng would look taller if it was closed windows all the way up.

They should take a cue from the Westin. At first, the Westin's condos stuck out just like the Hilton's do. But as the design was touched up, the transition from hotel to condos became less noticeable, which most always looks better.

For a Burger King, it's a fabulous design. The rendering shows improvement from the original conceptual drawing, mainly better coloration and more even window distribution on the lower floors. The problem I have is is how it will look from full-on perspectives, the boxiness and the relative crudeness of the sub-section designs. I expect to see this sort of thing either at the oceanfront or somewhere in Tysons Corner. Also get rid of that damned "H" logo (or whatever it is) perched on the roof. Oh hell, put a public restaurant on the roof and I'll call it even and give it a thumbs up.

I was hoping the base would mimick the facades being left in place. In a sense it would look like the base of the AH Tower but without the corporate architectural flavor of the restaurant facades. Then some glass and metal structure would rise out of the turn-of-the-century base. The main enterance could be classical or a ground-floor extension of the glass/steel structure. As some have said, the condo and hotel should blend into one another like the Westin. Either recess the condo balconies to be flush with the hotel portion or push out the hotel windows to blend with the protruding balconies.

As it stands now, the Hilton looks like the architect couldn't decide with what style to choose.

Archived