Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a meeting of the Downtown Norfolk Council membership this morning, Norfolk Director of Development Rod Woolard stated, in response to a question on the status of the project, that this is a public-private effort and that they were dealing with unprecedented construction cost increases. As a result, they were actively working on dealing with that. RLJ remains committed and the city is definitely committed, and they were "getting close".

At a meeting of the Downtown Norfolk Council membership this morning, Norfolk Director of Development Rod Woolard stated, in response to a question on the status of the project, that this is a public-private effort and that they were dealing with unprecedented construction cost increases. As a result, they were actively working on dealing with that. RLJ remains committed and the city is definitely committed, and they were "getting close".

I understand that with the housing slowdown, costs of construction materials has begun to drop. It would follow that the same would be true for labor costs. I don't know about local conditions, though. In any case, it's good news for the real projects on the boards. I don't know if it helps the Hilton project. Seems to me that they might want to give it a go very soon.

I realize I'm a little late adding comments about the design but I don't think its that bad. I'm tired of seeing fat stumpy buildings. Tall and "skinny" definitely adds an added dimension to the skyline. I really like the use of glass. We need more of that here! I'm also glad to see the use of added depth to part of the structure through the use of usable roof-top. I nice restaurant or bar with some roof top access would be great! I'm not sure about the materials on the main structure, it'll probably be boring pre-cast concrete. Westin in Va Beach looks like a "real" highrise although the pre-cast concrete looks boring as hell. I'm sure it's probably a bit difficult for our un-original local architects to come up with something striking given the odd L shape. But I think it'll be ok.

I realize I'm a little late adding comments about the design but I don't think its that bad. I'm tired of seeing fat stumpy buildings. Tall and "skinny" definitely adds an added dimension to the skyline. I really like the use of glass. We need more of that here! I'm also glad to see the use of added depth to part of the structure through the use of usable roof-top. I nice restaurant or bar with some roof top access would be great! I'm not sure about the materials on the main structure, it'll probably be boring pre-cast concrete. Westin in Va Beach looks like a "real" highrise although the pre-cast concrete looks boring as hell. I'm sure it's probably a bit difficult for our un-original local architects to come up with something striking given the odd L shape. But I think it'll be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have just not seen it, but i drove past the lot tonight at there wasn't a single thing pointing towards utility work or construction anymore on the site, i may just be blind but it might be another reason to be skeptical. And how bout that deadline?

I may have just not seen it, but i drove past the lot tonight at there wasn't a single thing pointing towards utility work or construction anymore on the site, i may just be blind but it might be another reason to be skeptical. And how bout that deadline?

I really wonder what the hush hush is for on this project. The city can't give anymore since they are right at their budget for a while. Maybe Johnson is pushing for more incentives. I can't think of what else he would want from the city. There really hasn't been anything like the GSA to prevent this project from being built.

I really want the project to be built but at the sametime as a citizen I don't want the city to get screwed in the whole deal just to get another high rise.

Archived