Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

Yeah that definitely has something to do with Hilton. You don't just place new sewers and utilities on an empty lot for the heck of it. Perhaps the city is taking the initiative now considering the fact that Granby's delay was in part to utility work. Since Norfolk is part of the Hilton project, it seems they are doing a few steps to prevent such delays and/or just to get that part of the job started or overwith.

That's why they call you the Ace. Good points.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hilton hopes still high in Norfolk despite delayed talks

A long-discussed proposal to build a 25-story complex with a Hilton hotel, condominiums, a convention center and a parking garage downtown has run into budget trouble and missed another deadline. However, Mayor Paul Fraim said construction will begin this spring as scheduled.

Oh good lord. <_< I can already see the writing on the walls with this one. Next month will come along, again with no deal, and a project that has been so significantly reduced and gutted that the city doesn't want it anyway. :rolleyes: The city council takes a lot of the blame for this however. Their constant delays have allowed construction prices to skyrocket and a project that before made financial sense, now no longer does.

Apparantly Robert Johnson is a hard negotiator. Don't be surprised if he backs out completly. I dought the city council will ever deal with him again.

Baltimore was having some big problems with him and their Hilton. Not sure how all that turned out though, i'll have to see what I can find out. I have a feeling this may be the first project to officially meet the chopping block. That being the case, if other people want that land I say it's time to give them a shot. We've been strung along long enough.

Baltimore was having some big problems with him and their Hilton. Not sure how all that turned out though, i'll have to see what I can find out. I have a feeling this may be the first project to officially meet the chopping block. That being the case, if other people want that land I say it's time to give them a shot. We've been strung along long enough.

We thought that Granby was on the chopping block multiple times too! I think what makes it difficult is the city owned conference center and the parking garage. I believe the Hilton will be built to around 25 floors.

We need a nice hotel too much to let this pass, i think. Norfolk is really lacking when it comes to nice hotels and nice conference space.

Norfolk is changing for the better. I think we will see more Hotels but you have to have a reason for them. We need more companies DT. I think Norfolk is really trying to bring more people to the CBD.

Here's the rendering that was in the paper.

Hilton.jpg

Was this today. .in the Pilot? If so I am very surprised no one has said anything up to now! Sunday is the only day I don't get the paper and look what I missed out on. I think it looks awesome myself. Very cosmopolitan and modern. I love all the glass on the one side.

I'm amazed nobody brought this up too. I can't believe they finally gave us a decent rendering without a real reason to - no big milestone or announcement. I think it looks really good. It seems to be about 22 stories, which could be better but I especially like the glass wall and the upper tower portion. We obviously won't be seeing any remnants of the old Main St. buildings' facades. That's a bit disappointing but not unexpected. When Johnson is through making all his budget adjustments I wonder what we'll be left with.

I think this project is alive, but perhaps on undeserved life support.

The image shows the most vertical and dramatic perspective possible. Imagine it from the frontal plane and you'll see how boxy and unimaginative it will really be. Also, it looks as if cheap surfaces and details will be used. Since the developers are looking for more ways to reduce costs, don't expect this to be a very attractive project. I wish that Norfolk would pull the plug on this and open up bids to more experienced developers. Minority sponsored development is a welcome thing, but hard nosed billionaires are just hard nosed billionaires. Time to get a little more hard nosed at city hall.

Archived