Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

The Houston one is extremely ugly, short, and stubby so I didn't even bother. The Austin one is nicer and has an

L shape and sits atop a 5 story convention center. I think something like this is what we can look forward too (though hopefully the design is better).

Did they mean that they visited the Hiltons to see the hotel exterior or to see how to construct a multi-level convention center and integrate it into a hotel, specifically a Hilton hotel? Or is it both? I understood it as the latter and that the visits had nothing to do with the hotel's exterior design. I'd imagine that the exterior will be nothing like those in Texas. Norfolk isn't designing the exterior, they are just approving it and providing input. However, City officials are designing the conference center. It was City officials who went not those from the Johnson-Fuller group.

Also, how crazy is it that HR has several home-grown upscale restaurants and is landing several upscale chains (if Norfolk gets Morton's that will be the top one thus far) but is struggling to get upscale retail stores to sign up?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hiltons in Austin and Houston aren't especially interesting. I agree that we should hope for something better on the exterior. The original renderings for this project were not much to inspire hope, but it seems as though the city wants to make this project work.

ya'll are so fast to respond and post pictures...i agree that the building designs are rather boring/same - ole and boxy...i feel like norfolk feels outdone by the westin towncenter and hopefully this new design they've agreed on will compete with the westin...

at least the project is going to happen for sure

sounds like some good news, I am agreeing you you guys this really does sound like it will be pushing the same height as the BoA now.

Plus to add to the height, doesn't this building include a garage too?

Observation deck on the top floor with restuarant. would make for a perfect tourist trap.

Plus to add to the height, doesn't this building include a garage too?

I, for one, would be thrilled if we could get just ONE tower built in this town without the obligatory parking podium shuffled in on the first several floors. Norfolk is becoming a city in which the first 100 feet above the street is dedicated solely to car storage. I'd at least like to see flat decks rather than ramped structures. A flat structure with auxiliary ramps would allow for re-use of the space if cars ever become out-of-date. Once the cars are gone, what are ya gonna convert an area with a sloped floor surface into?

I, for one, would be thrilled if we could get just ONE tower built in this town without the obligatory parking podium shuffled in on the first several floors. Norfolk is becoming a city in which the first 100 feet above the street is dedicated solely to car storage. I'd at least like to see flat decks rather than ramped structures. A flat structure with auxiliary ramps would allow for re-use of the space if cars ever become out-of-date. Once the cars are gone, what are ya gonna convert an area with a sloped floor surface into?

We probably won't have that mind set until we actually have some kind of mass transit.

actually that is very true rus.

building things like hotels and convention centers, parking is always going to be an issue, which is why I brought it up.

Some references to the future of HR when it comes to parking. Either the cities will grow up to be more like Bellevue, WA where a parking garage with each project is extremely important because the mass trasit system and alternatives to driving are not there, or it will become more like how Portland, OR is where we recently had several developers propose tearing down a large parking structure downtown and replace it with a condo tower that would have limited parking in it simply for the residents.

Parking will be an issue for a lot of cities for years to come including Norfolk. Personally I wouldn't hold it against the city, although I would suggest that the city try to take parking under control (granted it is kind of late for the city to do that), where the city builds garages that serve multiple buildings so that developers can cut the cost of having to add a garage to each of their buildings. That is sort of what Portland does, granted developers like to add private garages because it makes it a nice selling point to an overpriced condo.

You know, it's getting to be almost comical how consistently negative the comments are on the pilot boards whenever a new development comes up. <_<

Why are they still trying to add stuff to downtown norfolk, when they have other places they can spread out to. For instance why demolish an historical landmark and not renovate it?

- SHELLY K. - NORFOLK

I want to know what the criteria is for something to be considered a historical landmark. Some people seem to think if it's over 40 yrs old it's historic. With some peoples thinking we should never have torn down our WWll project housing. We don't wan't Norfolk to decay the way it has in the past. This Hilton had better be something special or all this waiting and planning will be in vain.

You know, it's getting to be almost comical how consistently negative the comments are on the pilot boards whenever a new development comes up. <_<

Some people fear change. What they don't realize is if you don't role with the change you get left behind. That means jobs dry up.....etc. Norfolk also needs to look at getting rid of alot of its suburban neighborhoods and replacing them with more urban developments. I know that not all of it but a bulk of it should be looked at to develop. Like in Huntersville, they are taking two house lots and putting a house there that looks like they stole from Vabeach.

Some people fear change. What they don't realize is if you don't role with the change you get left behind. That means jobs dry up.....etc. Norfolk also needs to look at getting rid of alot of its suburban neighborhoods and replacing them with more urban developments. I know that not all of it but a bulk of it should be looked at to develop. Like in Huntersville, they are taking two house lots and putting a house there that looks like they stole from Vabeach.

I've seen that house too Rus... it looks totally out of place. I've always felt like Norfolk needed some more rowhome neighborhoods. Richmond has some fine looking older rowhomes... Huntersville would be a good area to develop these as they already have some that can be renovated.

I've seen that house too Rus... it looks totally out of place. I've always felt like Norfolk needed some more rowhome neighborhoods. Richmond has some fine looking older rowhomes... Huntersville would be a good area to develop these as they already have some that can be renovated.

I totally agree. I wonder what the city is thinking sometimes. To me they are saying that suburban housing is more of suitable housing and that urban housing is a bad setting.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, there was a backhoe and a few other pieces of equipment digging around in the alley behind the IKON building today.

:D About time too. They actually got the permits for that way back in April. Just some utility relocation stuff, but its good to see it finally getting under way.

I believe Phoenix Corp is doing the work, if I remember correctly.

actually that is very true rus.

building things like hotels and convention centers, parking is always going to be an issue, which is why I brought it up.

Some references to the future of HR when it comes to parking. Either the cities will grow up to be more like Bellevue, WA where a parking garage with each project is extremely important because the mass trasit system and alternatives to driving are not there, or it will become more like how Portland, OR is where we recently had several developers propose tearing down a large parking structure downtown and replace it with a condo tower that would have limited parking in it simply for the residents.

Parking will be an issue for a lot of cities for years to come including Norfolk. Personally I wouldn't hold it against the city, although I would suggest that the city try to take parking under control (granted it is kind of late for the city to do that), where the city builds garages that serve multiple buildings so that developers can cut the cost of having to add a garage to each of their buildings. That is sort of what Portland does, granted developers like to add private garages because it makes it a nice selling point to an overpriced condo.

issue is, one of the federal mandates for funding for light rail and mass transit is that Norfolk eliminate a percentage of parking spaces in downtown to ensure people would ride the light rail rather than driving. with light rail virtually a reality, the days of Norfolk building parking garages are pretty much over; it'll be up to individual developers. The prices we pay for progress

I just drove by the site. The have definately begun utility work. :yahoo: Both Granby and the Hilton picking up steam, this is turning into a good week. :D

Thanks for the update vdogg. Wish I could get around more during the week. Working these long hours don't allow me anymore.

Here's a first "progress" picture, of sorts. It is from DBO's Trader collection this week.

hiltonprogress1.jpg

Yeah that definitely has something to do with Hilton. You don't just place new sewers and utilities on an empty lot for the heck of it. Perhaps the city is taking the initiative now considering the fact that Granby's delay was in part to utility work. Since Norfolk is part of the Hilton project, it seems they are doing a few steps to prevent such delays and/or just to get that part of the job started or overwith.

Archived