Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks skylinefan!

That would definately stand out.

Although something like that would be a great addition to the skyline, I think the overall appeal would be lost in Norfolk.

It would fit in better with the Town Center of VA. Beach.

The Herst tower at 57th and 8th Avenue is built atop what was to have been the tallest building in New York. When the old base structure reached about six floors, during the Great Depression, it was topped off due to lack of money.

Sorry. Now I see that Hoobo beat me to this story.

The Herst tower at 57th and 8th Avenue is built atop what was to have been the tallest building in New York. When the old base structure reached about six floors, during the Great Depression, it was topped off due to lack of money.

Sorry. Now I see that Hoobo beat me to this story.

:lol: Do you understand How p***sed everyone would be if that happened to one of our towers like Granby or Westin? I would much rather the thing not be built at all than to get all excited about its progress and then it caps off at floor 6. There would probably be a riot. :rofl:

But there is ONE person on this board that would have a "I told you so" party. I'm not mentioning any names, but I think you all know who I'm talking about. :D

We should be kind to him seeing as he's now unemployed.

I was talking about russ, who are you talking about hoobo? ;)

Alec Baldwin, naturally. He's always so smug which would lead to his "i told ya so" party. And I haven't seen a movie from him in a while so I figured he was out of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Busy week guys! :yahoo:

Hilton deal in Norfolk heads for September

Proposed more than two years ago, a deal to build a 20- to 25-story Hilton Hotel and a $33 million conference center downtown has been delayed until the end of September.

"We all wish that it had happened sooner than later, but it will happen," Mayor Paul D. Fraim said.

And confirming what we all knew anyway.

A completed deal was expected by the spring, with the end of July being the deadline. That time frame has been extended until the end of September.

The city has taken responsibility for the slow pace. "We've gone through this almost painstakingly because we want to do this really well," assistant city manager

Hey, it's progress folks, and still puts them on track for starting late fall or early next year.

From the sound of the article, it sounds like the project has gotten taller or at least will hit the 30+ story range. Interesting at the end how a council member seems to wanna compete against the Westin to a certain level. Also, sounds like we'll get a much more urban design based on the cities they went to to get design ideas.

From the sound of the article, it sounds like the project has gotten taller or at least will hit the 30+ story range. Interesting at the end how a council member seems to wanna compete against the Westin to a certain level. Also, sounds like we'll get a much more urban design based on the cities they went to to get design ideas.

I think your on to something. Sounds as though September is going to be a big month for news. :thumbsup:

The Houston one is extremely ugly, short, and stubby so I didn't even bother. The Austin one is nicer and has an

L shape and sits atop a 5 story convention center. I think something like this is what we can look forward too (though hopefully the design is better).

AUSCVHH_Hilton_Austin_home_left.jpg

This news should help put our worries to rest, I hope. I'm glad that Norfolk is holding their feet to the fire on the design, but I hope we don't end up with anything like the one in Houston. That design looks like it would fit better in Lake Wright than DT.

The city has redesigned the conference center several times. Because it will be several stories tall, not a single-story structure
The hotel will have a minimum of 242 rooms, and perhaps as many as 300. It also could have as many as 60 condos.

This sucker might have some pretty good height to it if we come out on the high end of all the estimated components. I think the Pilot is just regurgitating the same old 20-25 story info. they were fed months ago.

This sucker might have some pretty good height to it if we come out on the high end of all the estimated components. I think the Pilot is just regurgitating the same old 20-25 story info. they were fed months ago.

They are. All the recent information and even Mayors state of the union stated 25 stories solid with the 240 room total and 50-60 condos. We hit 300 rooms we'll likely see 30. Even if it stays at 25 it'll be at least the height of BOA due to the 5 story convention center (which on the prelim rendering looks to be 20ft per floor). It's like one project built ofver 30 stories, and now everyone is pushing past 30. :D

It's good to finally hear something. I do like that Norfolk waits until things are more concrete so they don't get residents hopes up. I think that it is professional of them, even though I've been going crazy trying to find out whats going on with it.

I agree. A lot of cities will jump the gun on projects only to have them never built.

I have no idea what it will be like, but it will be better than it might have been. Hotels are really important because they offer much in the way of public amenities. Office buildings and condo towers are nice to look at, but they aren't much fun otherwise.

Archived