COMPLETE: Dunkin' Donuts Center renovations

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's amazing that (almost) all of the luxury suites have been picked up.

Wow, look at all the hockey avatars!!! :shades:

The B and the P do look too much alike. Bring back the Reds! It would be a great merchandising opportunity for the ownership, and the uniform could have the spoked-B on the shoulder to show allegiance to the NHL Bruins.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the renovations are affecting event scheduling at Dunkin Donuts Center? Their website shows nothing scheduled from May 16th to January 23rd. Thanks.

Regarding events in the immediate future, I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised. PC already knows that it's going to lose a couple of exhibition home games at the beginning of their next season a few months from now, as you can read a little bit about here. No idea where that article came from: as you can see yourself, that poster included no link and doesn't cite his source. But based on the article's final paragraph, it's probably safe to be that it's not a ProJo piece. So probably one of the campus newspapers, I would guess, either PC's or URI's.

Regarding events in the immediate future, I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised. PC already knows that it's going to lose a couple of exhibition home games at the beginning of their next season a few months from now, as you can read a little bit about here. No idea where that article came from: as you can see yourself, that poster included no link and doesn't cite his source. But based on the article's final paragraph, it's probably safe to be that it's not a ProJo piece. So probably one of the campus newspapers, I would guess, either PC's or URI's.

Thanks Lone Ranger. The Good 5-Cent Cigar is URI's student newspaper. There appears to be a discrepancy in the reporting of the Dunkin Donuts Center closing May 20th and reopening Nov 14th. The RI Convention Center Authority's website states:

The arena will remain operational during renovations, with a grand unveiling scheduled for the 2008-2009 season.

As David Brent once sang, "Who is wrong and who is right?"

Thanks Lone Ranger. The Good 5-Cent Cigar is URI's student newspaper. There appears to be a discrepancy in the reporting of the Dunkin Donuts Center closing May 20th and reopening Nov 14th. The RI Convention Center Authority's website states:

As David Brent once sang, "Who is wrong and who is right?"

The Dunk is remaining operational during its season, which is typically Fall-Spring. During the three-year phased renovation schedule, the arena will not hold events during the summer months so major construction can take place (last summer, it was closed from June - Sept.) The Dunk is closing May thru mid-Nov. for major construction period (pending P-Bruins...)

The Dunk is remaining operational during its season, which is typically Fall-Spring. During the three-year phased renovation schedule, the arena will not hold events during the summer months so major construction can take place (last summer, it was closed from June - Sept.) The Dunk is closing May thru mid-Nov. for major construction period (pending P-Bruins...)

pbruins will be done tonight :D, so that gives them a lot of time. I am surprised they aren't working more on the outside facade while there is stuff going on inside. Maybe they are, but it looks like it is going really slow though.

The Dunk is remaining operational during its season, which is typically Fall-Spring.

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully after the rennovations, the season can be expanded to include the summer. My wife and I wanted to go see a particular touring performance in August and our two choices for a local venue were the Ryan Center and The Centrum in Worcester. OK, so Kingston isn't that far, but if it is a weekday performance and you live in Providence, it's so much easier if you only have to travel 2 miles one way as opposed to 20+ miles one way.

And it already has intensified. They closed the entire sidewalk (Jersey barriers make room for pedestrians in the street). Two backhoes were working at the entrance closest to the Hilton this morning, and a crane was lifting steel onto the main structure this morning. I had to alter my commute.

And it already has intensified. They closed the entire sidewalk (Jersey barriers make room for pedestrians in the street). Two backhoes were working at the entrance closest to the Hilton this morning, and a crane was lifting steel onto the main structure this morning. I had to alter my commute.

did you notice that there's 2 paths you can take? i walked down to the mall yesterday to return something and if you go on the sidewalk side of the fence you can go straight through, but if you take the other side of the fence, you're forced to cross the street. the problem is that there's no signs saying this and the fence there doesn't need to be there (unless it's been moved since last night). :dontknow:

there's also a sign on the site saying something along the lines of "gilbane construction - safe worksite for 2 days". the number is changeable. i imagine they just forgot to change it since it's been a worksite for more than 2 days...

did you notice that there's 2 paths you can take? i walked down to the mall yesterday to return something and if you go on the sidewalk side of the fence you can go straight through, but if you take the other side of the fence, you're forced to cross the street. the problem is that there's no signs saying this and the fence there doesn't need to be there (unless it's been moved since last night). :dontknow:

I don't know, there was a crane there this morning so everyone had to cross, a sign was up and a PPD detail officer was posted at the crosswalk. I crossed well before there because I saw the crane though.

there's also a sign on the site saying something along the lines of "gilbane construction - safe worksite for 2 days". the number is changeable. i imagine they just forgot to change it since it's been a worksite for more than 2 days...

It's said two days for a while, I don't know if they are forgetting to change it, or if someone has been getting injured every other day.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the letter. The fire code debate is hurting some local businesses, is potentially blocking some new businesses from investing/building/moving here, and now it has bitten it's owners...

I grew up right behind the station nightclub fire site and am the son, grandson, and cousin several times over of current and retired West Warwick firefighters, and I have to say that the fire codes are over the top. The codes needed to be updated for sure, but I think RI went well beyond what was really needed. Gilbane has a proven tracj record of responsible and well managed projects - there is just not another option here than to bite the bullet...

I agree with the letter. The fire code debate is hurting some local businesses, is potentially blocking some new businesses from investing/building/moving here, and now it has bitten it's owners...

I grew up right behind the station nightclub fire site and am the son, grandson, and cousin several times over of current and retired West Warwick firefighters, and I have to say that the fire codes are over the top. The codes needed to be updated for sure, but I think RI went well beyond what was really needed. Gilbane has a proven tracj record of responsible and well managed projects - there is just not another option here than to bite the bullet...

It's always the same thing, a horrific event happens and every one becomes reactive, instead of proactive. Shame on us!

Archived