COMPLETE: Dunkin' Donuts Center renovations

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renderings have a bunch of trees that everyone was poo-pooing a few pages back. The trees outside the Dunk were very unhealthy, hopefully new trees in this area will be better cared for. Inside the little square outside BCBS there's nice trees, but most of the street trees in this area are currently dead skeletons.

Well that's certainly good to hear, seeing as how they're only about a month into the project, give or take a week. I'd be *slightly* worried if they were behind already. :blink:

They're much further into it than that. Work has been going on inside for a while now. The outside work only started last month.

For some reason, I'm liking this a bit better than the other renders. A few questions...

- Is the glass concourse at the entrance contiguous with the CC on the right? If so, that's pretty sweet, and should reinforce the sense that they are one complex fairly well.

- Does the redone facade wrap around the entire building? If so, should we expect the current (ugly, embarrassing) exposure, signage, and electronic boards facing 95 will be changed?

- This render seems to suggest that the materials and or color making up the base of the roof (the "Klingon Battle Cruiser" elements as I think Cotuit described them) will be changed?

- Garris

I think the facade does not wrap around to Aborn as TPG has plans for the Hilton to develop air rights on that 'street.' There is work happening at the back (95 side) but I don't think they have plans to change the facade back there, though I would assume a new message board facing 95 is planned, if they're going to do it on Sabin Street, they really should facing 95, there's many more eyes there. They'll probably also paint the Klingon Battle Cruiser flanges so they aren't 70s brown, and blend in more with the Convention Center as seen from the highway.

My dream is to build a tower behind the Dunk on the air rights over the loading docks, but Providence doesn't have the space constraints to fund that right now. A nice office tower with a glass arcade connecting it to Sabin Street between the Dunk and the CC.

I like this better too, especially the steps. I like the sweeping grand staircases rather than having them interrupted by planters (which will just fill with empty DD cups and cigarette butts, though the DD cups would be interesting branding I guess). It looks like they've dropped bring the war memorial back. I think we can find a better place for them to live, maybe Station Park.

There's plenty of room for interesting details, such as a scrolling electronic sign along the front, or splashes of orange and magenta light across the Klingon flanges.

Here's previous renderings for reference:

Dunk.jpg

web-dunkProv4.jpg

I do like the raised roof detail in the center of the first one.

I do like the raised roof detail in the center of the first one.

I prefer that first render to the final one. I think it interacts with the street much better and I think it is much more inviting. I think the huge staircases in the final versions keep it looking somewhat isolated. Also, in that current render, where did the memorial go?

" The City of Providence plans to redesign LaSalle Square, allowing for improved pedestrian walkways and traffic flow. This area may offer a more visible location for the War Memorial.

The Authority is working with the Mayor and the Department of Planning and Development to solicit feedback and recommendations from local veterans on this important project. Updates will be posted to this site as plans progress. "

If the Weybosset Comfort Station indeed ends up at LaSalle Square, then I'd prefer the memorial not, then the square would get too crowded. There are certainly other worthy and high profile places for it. Station Park, along the riverfront such as at Dyer Street Landing, Cathedral Square would be nice depending on future plans for that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived