COMPLETE: Dunkin' Donuts Center renovations

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in town for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and I got to see the dunk. While I love the glass - the brick just doesn't look like what was presented in the render - much lighter. What do you guys think?

i think it's a great match for the convention center. it'll get darker over time as well... i love the new look.

i think it's a great match for the convention center. it'll get darker over time as well... i love the new look.

I hope so - right now the color looks like the brick of my elementary school - which is probably what's causing some distaste. :lol:

I love the way the bridge to the convention center and the entrance look though.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the changes completed at the Dunk are nice it still is a work in progress. When the entire project is completed then we will see if it was worth the 65 million. I still have a problem with spending that amount and losing seating capacity. How many more seats could have been sold for Hanna Montana? or WWE?

Although the changes completed at the Dunk are nice it still is a work in progress. When the entire project is completed then we will see if it was worth the 65 million. I still have a problem with spending that amount and losing seating capacity. How many more seats could have been sold for Hanna Montana? or WWE?

Maybe I'm not remembering properly, but I thought this project aimed for an increase in seating? (albeit a small one)

Maybe I'm not remembering properly, but I thought this project aimed for an increase in seating? (albeit a small one)

They had to remove 800 seats for the 20 corporate boxes. We have less capacity now for sporting events than Worcester, Manchester and Hartford. And only slightly more that Mohegan Sun.

They should plan on a phase II and add 10 more corporate boxes and 3,000 seats above them.

They had to remove 800 seats for the 20 corporate boxes. We have less capacity now for sporting events than Worcester, Manchester and Hartford. And only slightly more that Mohegan Sun.

They should plan on a phase II and add 10 more corporate boxes and 3,000 seats above them.

That is not good. PVD needs to pull away from that class.

Your Phase II would place the DDC in a class with the major league arenas. Certainly that makes sense. It is a leap that must have the expansion go hand in hand with securing more major league events on a more regular basis (like the Celtics or an arena football team, etc) and more/larger concert type event dates and conventions.

That is not good. PVD needs to pull away from that class.

Your Phase II would place the DDC in a class with the major league arenas. Certainly that makes sense. It is a leap that must have the expansion go hand in hand with securing more major league events on a more regular basis (like the Celtics or an arena football team, etc) and more/larger concert type event dates and conventions.

The Celtics supposedly have already contacted the Dunk for an exhibition game next Sept. which would coincide with the completion of Phase 1. Providence has a reputation for being a great sports town but we need a first class venue to host major events or to attract new franchises.

When the Dunk openned in 1972 we had the best building in New England. We need to get back to those days.

the new luxury boxes cost 50K each (I believe), so that is 1M for 20 of them. If they lost 800 seats, that would mean $1250.00 bucks per seat in revenue just to equal the luxury box revenue. Considering that these seats were all at the top of the arena and that not every event sells out, I'd say that the net revenue is considerably higher than having the 'regular' seats. The luxury box revenue is also gauranteed versus risking un-sold regular seats.

also, someone needs to verify if the 15 seats per suite is counted into the new total capacity. That is 300 seats right there that they 're-gained.'

I really beg to differ....we do have slightly less than Worcester, a less compared to Hartford, but more than Manchester. It's not as bad as you're painting it.

Slightly more than Mohegan Sun? That arena seats 9,518.

Dunk:

Hockey: 11,000

Basketball: 12,500

Center Stage: 14,000

Verizon Wireless Center (Manchester)

Hockey: 9,932

Basketball: 11,140

DCU Center (Worcester):

Total: 14,800

Hockey: 7,230 (No idea why there's such a big difference)

XL Center (Hartford)

Hockey: 15,635

Basketball: 16,294

So the only one bigger than the Dunk by a wide margin is Hartford's arena - which has been the case for years.

the new luxury boxes cost 50K each (I believe), so that is 1M for 20 of them. If they lost 800 seats, that would mean $1250.00 bucks per seat in revenue just to equal the luxury box revenue. Considering that these seats were all at the top of the arena and that not every event sells out, I'd say that the net revenue is considerably higher than having the 'regular' seats. The luxury box revenue is also gauranteed versus risking un-sold regular seats.

also, someone needs to verify if the 15 seats per suite is counted into the new total capacity. That is 300 seats right there that they 're-gained.'

Exactly. The only time I remember those seats being consistently was when the P-Bruins were in the playoffs. The boxes are a much steadier source of income.

I just can't think of another example where a building/stadium was revovated and capacity was reduced. Somehow that fact was not spelled out during the hearings at the statehouse. "We are going to spend 100 million to purchase the civic center, conect it to the convention center, add bathrooms, concession stands, new luxury boxes and a new score board that can play commercials. But we are reducing capacity by 800 seats to make room for the 20 boxes."

Some how that was omitted from the presentation.

I just can't think of another example where a building/stadium was revovated and capacity was reduced. Somehow that fact was not spelled out during the hearings at the statehouse. "We are going to spend 100 million to purchase the civic center, conect it to the convention center, add bathrooms, concession stands, new luxury boxes and a new score board that can play commercials. But we are reducing capacity by 800 seats to make room for the 20 boxes."

Some how that was omitted from the presentation.

I've seriously never heard about this 800-seat reduction until you posted it. Where did you find this information?

Regardless, did you just gloss over some of the previous posts? The luxury boxes are a much steadier form of revenue. And luxury boxes that can be rented on a nightly basis (which the Dunk now does, yes?) are a better asset for conventions than losing some seats. Companies in town will be willing to rent boxes to entertain customers.

i might get flamed for this, but here goes nothing. providence doesn't need the seats. as people have said before, most of the upper level seats remain empty for the vast majority of the events in the dunk. comparing it to the hartford civic center isn't fair. the huskies are a big draw (much bigger than the friars here), but even many of their seats remain empty for the majority of the events there. the only events that would sell out arenas are concerts with a big draw (hannah montana most recently here) and big games (the p bruins in the playoffs or PC playing uconn or uri). hartford is farther from boston (and i know it sucks being in the boston realm, but that's the reality) than providence and worcester.

the other issue is that we couldn't easily add seats without completely renovating the whole thing, which would probably have taken much longer and put the bruins and friars out on the street, which we couldn't easily afford to do. so while it seems like a stupid move to lose the seats, the addition of the boxes is a bigger money maker as has been said in several posts before this. sometimes size really doesn't matter and when it comes down to it, the difference in size between the dunk and the centrum or the dunk and the civic center just isn't that big a deal.

Accept those 800 fans(many of whom are RI taxpayers)who would have been able to attend the URI, UCONN, Bruins Playoffs, Celtics exhibition, etc. games now ARE on the street after spending 100 million to upgrade the facility.

If you go to page five of this topic and read the Project Overview facts and figures listed by Ellerbe Becket Architects it lists new capacity as 12,047 for basketball down from 13,100 pre-construction. Which puts us 3k below hartford, 2k below Worcester and 1k more than Manchester.

The renovations have been going on during the summer so I am not sure of your point of moving the two tenants out to add more seats.

My point is the reduced seating has never been spelled out and still isn't on the dunks website.

I think this is a case for YOU PAID FOR IT.

to add seats, we'd have to build up and really change the building in order to accommodate more seats, or at least that's what i would imagine since the building was designed to only accommodate a certain number of seats to begin with. that kind of renovation would take more than a summer and would surely put someone out on the street.

and you have to take into account that for 3 nights a year (with the exception of super popular concerts), it's not worth having those extra 800 people in attendance.

The renovations have been going on during the summer so I am not sure of your point of moving the two tenants out to add more seats.

Adding seats to the existing structure is much more extensive work and would take longer than a summer.

Accept those 800 fans(many of whom are RI taxpayers)who would have been able to attend the URI, UCONN, Bruins Playoffs, Celtics exhibition, etc. games now ARE on the street after spending 100 million to upgrade the facility.

If you go to page five of this topic and read the Project Overview facts and figures listed by Ellerbe Becket Architects it lists new capacity as 12,047 for basketball down from 13,100 pre-construction. Which puts us 3k below hartford, 2k below Worcester and 1k more than Manchester.

My point is the reduced seating has never been spelled out and still isn't on the dunks website.

The figures on the Dunk website conflict:

Ellerbe Becket states:

Basketball: 12,047

Hockey: 11,059

End Stage: 10,428

Center Stage: Not Listed

Dunk Website States:

Basketball: 12,500

Hockey: 11,000

End Stage: Not Listed

But the basketball numbers are both below your 13,100 number. Where are you getting that from? Nor did you mention where you saw we were losing 800 seats.

Center Stage: 14,000

What's better for the taxpayers? 800 empty seats sometimes empty, or full luxury boxes making money?

I don't understand the argument at all - Isn't it better to have 800 fewer seats that are more likely to be sold for more per event due to upgraded facilities than shoe-horning in 800 more seats up in the rafters? That doesnt make sense at all. I have never heard much in the way of tax payer outcry due to there not being enough seats available for events. My understanding was that they had a hard time filling the place almost always. I think the reduction in seats in favor of luxo boxes was a good move.

I agree it is better to have 20 full corporate boxes than 800 empty seats. But they wouldn't have been emply for the "big" events and why not have both for 62 mil? Why lose any general admission seating? If you are going to reduce your overall capacity why do anything? Why worry about making the concourse wider, increase the # of bathrooms. By adding the boxes you now have less people in the building. Shorter lines, more parking for everone else. It is a win - win for the rich and famous.

The 13,100 figure comes from the PC website as the capacity figure for the Dunk.(pre-construction)

I agree it is better to have 20 full corporate boxes than 800 empty seats. But they wouldn't have been emply for the "big" events and why not have both for 62 mil? Why lose any general admission seating? If you are going to reduce your overall capacity why do anything? Why worry about making the concourse wider, increase the # of bathrooms. By adding the boxes you now have less people in the building. Shorter lines, more parking for everone else. It is a win - win for the rich and famous.

The 13,100 figure comes from the PC website as the capacity figure for the Dunk.(pre-construction)

i really am not getting your arguments. as was said, you can't have your cake and eat it too. compromise had to be made somewhere. the concourse being wider is always a good thing. have you been to an event at a place where the concourse was too small? it's hell getting around during set break, half time, whatever. having a wider concourse makes it better and with upgraded facilities and more of them, lines will be shorter. 800 people does not make a big difference when the place already has 12,000 people in it.

to have both the original number of seats and the new luxury boxes, you'd have to change the building. that wasn't going to happen for 62 mil and a summer's worth of work. is that really that hard to understand? the way it is now, it's able to make more money. the way it was, it wasn't making as much money and tickets aren't going to cost any more than they did before just because we're 800 seats smaller.

I finally attended an event at the renovated dunk this past weekend and must admit, the changes are nice. The new concessions areas are so much better. The new scoreboard (last year) is a huge improvement as well. It's nice to go and not look around the place and think to myself "what a dump"

"The Dunk is no longer a Dump" - hows that for an ad campaign (JK)

Archived